• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow? Radeon7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just wanted to mention that yes the 7970 is performing good now..at least in the games and such that I normally play/use etc.and I expect it to do well in future apps..but I was totally happy with the performance of 5870 2gb's in Crossfire.(note.I'm older and have some vision problems..maybe someone else would notice more) But when I had to send in the one 5870 on fan related warranty problems and got a 6950 in return from XFX warranty I wasn't happy. Still not btw :)..Over the years I bought my gpu's and power supplies from them..No more. Going elsewhere. When I complained about the 6950 replacement they just blew me off with one line links to their original product test reviews and such. "its over for us XFX" I've moved on.

So i bought the 7970(not from XFX). Something I may have done sooner or later anyway. Or maybe I would have jumped ship and gone with Nvidia's 680? I was looking and thinking. I had Radeon 4870's in Crossfire before the 5870's and have pretty much stuck with Radeon. Not a fan boy but sticking with something I was familiar with and was working good.

And for sure I'll bet games like Crysis or BF3 would play better on this 7970 than when I played them on my 5870's in Crossfire. I have no doubt. But I'm not playing either of those games on the PC so it doesn't matter. And btw I "finally" succeeded in uninstalling Crysis--How? Do a clean reinstall haha. But I think its important to remember that i don't need to buy a new/latest gpu every year.

Of course all the companies want me to buy their new cpu's/gpu's every year and tell me how much better the new is over the old, but if in my normal uses the new unit doesn't offer me a level of improvement that I can see or somehow appreciate..other than just fancy higher test scores.. equal to the big dollars they want..Why should I?

When I build a new system I typically buy all new parts and the most update to date parts available. But then i keep it for a couple years. Or until it fails. Each to his own on that.

Goodluck

Back