• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Count Down Begins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

Welcome to Our First Official Race Day​

░░░░░ *Absolutely last call for any new purchases!

░░░░░ *For New folders, I recommend the V7 client. Generally a quick and easy set up and operation.

░░░░░ *Other folders, you know how to max your points out -- use Linux (natively or in a VM like Virtual
░░░░░░ Box or VMPlayer 3.0). More points - :clap: but usually more work to set up . :eek:

░░░░░ *Starting our race on the 14th, means we'll have work units ready to turn in, on the 15th. :thup:

░░░░░ *New rig or OS? Be sure to shut off the power saving features, during the race! That includes
░░░░░░░sleeping and hibernation, as well as automatic shut off of the monitor (which stops many gpu's
░░░░░░░from working any further until restarted). Shut off the monitor by hand, during the race.

░░░░░ *Disable automatic tasks you won't need for these 10 days - like the weekly HD defrag that
░░░░░░░Windows 7 wants to do. Screensavers fall into this group, as well -- big time! Also
░░░░░░░"visualizing" the protein in the F@Home client viewer. REALLY slows down the folding!

░░░░░ *Let the rig fold! If it's feasible, 24 hours a day! Save on your power bill, every OTHER week,
░░░░░░░please. Go to the park, walk the dog, play with the cat, or call your friends. Let the rig fold, as
░░░░░░░undisturbed as you can, but check the race updates.

░░░░░ *Have fun, and tell your friends about the race, and about Folding@Home. Forget world peace,
░░░░░░░and visualize a friend you can recruit to join us!

2 cpu rigs, folding bigadv work units, should begin folding today (Sunday), for T32monkeys, with a qualified passkey, so they'll have a work unit ready to turn in on Tuesday the 15th.

On Tuesday, turn in your first work unit AFTER 12:30 p.m. because the data gatherers may be working slowly, and they can't start their work, until Stanford FAH has updated their 12:00 p.m. data. That may take 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:
I guess I can put off playing D3 for 10 days, just realize the sacrifice that is being made.

In reference to Linux and vm:
Is the vm app you speak of freeware?
What is a ballpark improvement percentage on a linux box and/or a linux vm?
I have a couple machines that I have dual boot winxp/ubuntu. The setup for dual boot is very easy with ubuntu. I really dislike the unity environment however and am trying out LXDE now. Any recommendations on a minimal install size if someone opts to go dual boot and will only use linux for folding and maybe some light web surfing?
Throw me a link for any answers that may have been posted to these questions someplace else and thanks for the info Adak:D

Also: we want the fahclient or fahcontrol for linux? I assume we don't want fahviewer.

Last edited:
my server is up and ready to go 12 cores of amd powa! jeje
should i run bigadv? they are dual 6 core 1.8 ghz 2419 instambulls

Gamers! You gotta love their insatiable need to virtually kill! :rofl: Thanks!

@xander89 are you racing with us?

Native Linux is about 20% faster than Windows. Linux in a VM is about 15% faster than Windows. If you can handle it, it's definitely worth it. Note that the V7 folding client is available as a package, for some of the most popular Linux distro's.
(Red Hat, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.).

They would work with the older projects, but not the new 8100 project series. Ummm. I'm gonna say let the V7 client set it up, but I'm leaning toward it choosing smp 8.

You've got some time - why not load up the 6.34 client and try it with the -bigadv flag and see how it does after 24 hours? If it can meet the deadlines, then great - if not, you won't have lost too much? Technically, you should need 16 cores for bigadv, BUT Tim was folding -bigadv OK, with 12 cores, iirc.

mkay thanks il get it setup tonight when i get home il run linux in a vm and see how it does, what is the deadline for a bigadv unit?

It varies:
Largest range I see right now is:

6903 - 5 days preferred, 12 days final

8100 - 2.4 days preferred, 4 days final

All project list is here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

I believe the 8100 project is only available for 16 cores though. So with 12 cores being reported, you get the better wu's.

Awwwww! I need to hit the lottery so I can build a server!!!
Been following Chasr directions for 6.34 client in vm but I'm gonna go native where possible

What flags do we set to get the 6903 projects and what hardware requirements, Adak? And are those Linux only or do they also process with the Windows clients?

What flags do we set to get the 6903 projects and what hardware requirements, Adak? And are those Linux only or do they also process with the Windows clients?

FAH wants 16 cores for the big advanced projects, BUT there are some big advanced projects still available, for 8 and 12 core rigs (mostly 12). All are Linux only. (I really like 11.10 Ubuntu, but the Unity desktop requires a bit of learning (it's efficient though, maximizing your screen space). I did not like 10.10 or 12.04 versions).

For the 6.34 folding client, I use -smp -bigadv -verbosity 9, and a packet size of "big".

Also, advanced methods must be set to "no", (which is the default).

Big advanced work units are only available in Linux, at this time.

For the V7 client, you have to set the slot type for smp and add one extra parameter - let me grab that.
max-packet-size must be set to big

ChasR's succinct summary:
========================
V6.34
-bigadv flag must be present
WU size set to big
NO -advmethods flag.

v7
client-type must be bigadv
max-packet-size must be big

Last edited:
I'll second that!! If I win I'll get you a server :p
:D It's a deal!

Another quick question. I have one rig that is an E6420 cpu with a 8800gs nvidia card. I have been running console uni and gpu client. You think that is best ppd wise? Right now neither are oc'd. They need a good cleaning plus I have no funds for replacement if something should die.
Thanks Again

:D It's a deal!

Another quick question. I have one rig that is an E6420 cpu with a 8800gs nvidia card. I have been running console uni and gpu client. You think that is best ppd wise? Right now neither are oc'd. They need a good cleaning plus I have no funds for replacement if something should die.
Thanks Again

Go here, http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

and click on Windows "All Versions" button. Run the installer, and it will automatically set up your card and cpu with the best settings. The V7 gui interface makes changes quite easy, overall.

For the cpu, that should be with the smp projects. I'm not sure about the 8800gs however. Specifically, how much impact it will have on the cpu folding. Try it with and without it folding, and see which you prefer.

Especially with the earlier generations of cards, I worry about excess heat build up - some have it, others are well designed and keep everything cool enough.

If you can't afford to replace anything, I'd stick with cpu folding, and don't overclock. Problem is, at some point, the mobo capacitors and other parts, will begin to fail, even if you don't have the computer turned on.

A (gentle) replacement scheme is going to be needed, and the sooner you start, the more prepared you'll be.

bump for 8 days to go!

This is the day we try to recruit more Seniors!

wee i still need to get my vm loaded on my server so i can get this setup

Back