• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest 8Core CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It depends on how smooth you want the game to run as well. Some people are happy with an FPS of above 30, but personally I hate FPS drops below 60. My GTX 680 just about manages on ultra - there are dips below 60FPS but this is rare (running at 1920x1200).

The HD7850 can handle BF3 on ultra with 4xAA at 1920x1080 with ~40FPS. This might be acceptable for you, and turning of AA will yield a few more FPS but I would rather turn down settings to get that above 60FPS. This is the average too, so dips would be down to around 30FPS.

actually sapphire has been doing ATI cards a long long time and are considered to be very good.

Sapphire cards performance is lower than stuff like asus or zotac :)

What do you mean by performance? The cards all use the same GPU, so at the same clock speed you will get the same performance. Factory-overclocked cards are generally a waste of money IMO, you can always at least match it yourself.

Mine is factory overclocked and for same money.. however its the components that makes a card cheaper wich is why sapphire is cheap

Id say im looking at passmark lists to identify what you can expect from a card and read what pros and cons from each brand :) a big reading some could have used i can say my rig gets higher scores than most and its not based om cheap brands :)

i takes me 3 5870s to max out bf3 on ultra with 2560x1600 and even that just cutting it, i leave AA off to get over 120fps

@ Ravara, You posts are not very helpful, i noticed you also posted something about the "50 core" being good value but low quality?

Look, from my perspective you are (trying) be helpful but everything you say here frankly is a lot of old crap, Sapphire are a good card maker.

Also its unclear what your talking about with that 50 core comment but it seems to me you are talking about the 7#50 vs 7#70
Well, here is a pice of information you may not be aware of, the 50 and 70 cores are identical, the (50) core is simply a (70) with some of the stream processors looked so they can't be used. because they are one and the same GPU they are the same quality.

All good? :)

@ Ravara, You posts are not very helpful, i noticed you also posted something about the "50 core" being good value but low quality?

Look, from my perspective you are (trying) be helpful but everything you say here frankly is a lot of old crap, Sapphire are a good card maker.

Also its unclear what your talking about with that 50 core comment but it seems to me you are talking about the 7#50 vs 7#70
Well, here is a pice of information you may not be aware of, the 50 and 70 cores are identical, the (50) core is simply a (70) with some of the stream processors looked so they can't be used. because they are one and the same GPU they are the same quality.

All good? :)

Yeah, this. The manufacturers can change clock speeds, cooling solutions, warranty, and box art. Otherwise it's the same hardware.

I admit i didnt know the difference was this little between the 50 and the 70 but why take the lowest? And when you look at a sapohire card the cooling solution is mostly reduced to a single fan instead of twin + the material the components are made of is mostly what makes the big price difference :) else i would like to hear what else can make that kind of price difference, cuz that is what everybody is saying around the web

feel free to tell mm im a idiot xD

There is no difference on the reference cards anyway.

People get what they can afford, the most important factor is performance - it is more performance per cost. If the "50" model is 5% slower but 20% cheaper, it offers better value for the performance you are getting. The tweaktown GTX670 review looks like a good example of this! Unless you have a large source of disposable income then people are going to lean towards the lower end card, it can still play the same games overall anyway but you might get a few less FPS or have to reduce a setting or two.

Also Saphire have the "toxic" range of cards, which generally have great coolers on them. (http://www.techpowerup.com/163516/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7970-Toxic-6-GB-Detailed.html). The card in the link also has high quality components, comparing to MSI's lightning or ASUS Matrix etc. Of course this varies with generation for all manufactuers - the features they add isn't always the same and generally you need to actually look at each card individually rather than the entire range as a whole.

If you are comparing a Saphire "reference" card to an aftermarket ASUS or something, then that is useless.

Warranty and service are also important factors - the longer the warranty the higher the cost generally. Also when you do have to RMA, the type of service you will get will vary across vendors. Some are very good whilst others tend to take a long time, request fees etc.

Aftermarket may appeal to some people, but the gains you get (possibility of reaching higher clocks) is usually not worth the increase in price. But again, it depends on the card. The GTX480 ran very hot and benefitted from a powerful cooler, but the GTX680 runs a lot cooler and won't get as much benefit.

I started building my PC about 6 weeks ago, i got the components I could effort and seen as I didn't really know much about building PCs at the time thought that what I got would be a good starting block for me to learn from. I know its very far from a top gaming computer but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I know nothing about. Although my computer is cold enough I wouldn't like to push it any more as I just have a regular case and I'm looking at decent cases for cooling at the moment

My Sapphire Xtreme 5830 OC exactly the same as my MSI TFII 5830: both doing 1000/1200/1.3v.
They both run 24/7 @975/1175/1.27v for more than one year.

I think it is time to stop the nonsense Navara and take in consideration than not only component quality define pricing...

The best example is Apple: they use the exact same components as any other premium brand, but their products are 1.5/2x more expensive.

Have you ever heard about something called marketing? It allows manufacturers to overprice their products for people like you!

Back