• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply issues 865PE with E6700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DonP

Registered
Hello.

I am upgrading a good old Abit BE6-II system (440BX chipset LOL) to a ASRock 865PE system with an E6700 processor. I'm using an XFX 4850 card 1GB DDR2 with it's own power header on the video card.

I had a 550 watt supply from my PC-DL system (RIP) but I think it's dead - nothing happens at all when it's all plugged in and I hit the power button. It has a 24 pin ATX but I let the last 4 hang over. It has a 8 pin extra power but I just use 1/2 of it, the other 4 hang over.

I replaced this 550 supply with a 750 but the PC-DL still didn't boot, so it was replaced by an i5 running a light OC at 4.5Ghz.

When I put the Enermax 300w supply (doesn't have the extra 12v 4 pin connector) the fans spin a little but it won't power up.

So I'm pretty sure if I got a new power supply this system might work.

Any suggestions?

I need 20pin ATX with an extra 4pin 12v rail.

IDE WD 160GB drive
IDE DVD-Rom

Thanks.

That sounds more like there is a dead short in the CPU power section of that motherboard.

That sounds more like there is a dead short in the CPU power section of that motherboard.

With the 550w PS, nothing happens at all. This PS was suspected to be dead with the PC-DL system.

With the known to be working 300w (doesn't have enough power or the extra 4 pin 12v connector) the fans at least spin a little when I hit the power.

I think you are right. The dead short is the CPU and the 300 watt PS doesn't have enough wattage to power it.

So what PS should I get?

I think the reason the 300w doesn't do the same thing is that it is not plugged into the CPU power plug. If that's where the short is any PSU that is plugged in there will have it's short circuit protection tested (and hopefully won't fire up). If nothing is plugged in there the system will not boot due to no CPU power, but fans will spin because the PSU is working.
If you have a multimeter you can test the resistance between the two pairs of pins in that four pin socket on the motherboard. That'll tell you if something is grievously wrong there.

Back