• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badzyy

Registered
Basically I've been thinking of upgrading and wanted to get some opinions on this build and whether or not it will be worth the upgrade, my current PC is in my sig.

.New build.
CPU: i5 2500k/3570k (unsure which to go for)
MOBO: AsRock Z77 extreme 4
RAM: 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 2133
GPU: 2GB Sapphire HD7850 OC
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750w
Cooling: Antec Kuhler H20 620

As the title says it will be mainly for gaming but will also be using fraps, doing some encoding/watching movies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Also wanted to add while bumping the thread that my current case is
a Thermaltake V3 (black edition?), would I need to get something better
or would that do the job OK for the new build?

Thanks.

I'd go with 1600MHz RAM and put the extra $40/$50 in a better graphic card.

2500k runs cooler than the 3570k, allowing higher OC under conventional cooling (air or water), but is overall 5% slower than the new ivy Bridge per clock.

Cornelian dilemma!

Yeh the only reason I chose 2133 ram is because it's only like $15 difference for
8GB. I was going to get 16GB but thought I'd save by getting 8GB as 16 is probably overkill. What graphics card would you suggest?

Thank you.

I see what you mean but I should have mentioned I'm from Australia, I doubt
I would be able to get free shipping and the price difference here is about
$100 ($260 for 7850 and $357 for 7870) :( I don't play any of the demanding games either,
mainly just World of warcraft.

Cheers.

Done some looking around and probably going to go with this.

CPU: i5 3570k
MOBO: AsRock Z77 extreme 4
RAM: 8GB GSkill Ripjaw Z 1600 (maybe 16GB just so I don't need to upgrade later)
GPU: 3GB XFX RADEON HD 7950 Double Dissipation Black Edition
PSU: XFX ProSeries 750W Core Edition 80+ Bronze

For cooling I will just use my current 212 evo.

Thoughts? And should the PSU do the trick?

Thanks.

I would go with an nVidia based video card(s) instead of an AMD/ATI based one.

Although, the AMD ATI hardware is often good, the driver support is not, particularly in the ability to set configurations. There is a software that AMD provides, Catalyst Control Center, to configure the driver, but it often does not work due to its dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework.

I would go with an nVidia based video card(s) instead of an AMD/ATI based one.

Although, the AMD ATI hardware is often good, the driver support is not, particularly in the ability to set configurations. There is a software that AMD provides, Catalyst Control Center, to configure the driver, but it often does not work due to its dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework.

Let's not start an AMD vs NVidia war here, ok?

Both make good hardware, both have driver issues sometimes.

EDIT: OP, that looks very good. Your PSU is plenty and you could even add a second 7950 down the road.

Yeh I wouldn't mind trying crossfire somewhere down the road and I might
even just use my current RAM for now to save a few $, probably not much difference at all.

Thanks for the input.

Back