• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Key finders cannot display OS key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I need to get my windows key off my laptop but all the key finders have only showed blanks or just the letter B. I have turned off DEP so I do not know what else could be blocking the access. Any suggestions?

Is this an OEM install of the OS? They may be pre-activated and not have a key. That could be completely wrong, though, I don't have a system that came with Windows.

I have used a bunch of different key finders. OS is Win7.

Hmm... odd.

I remember there being some difficulty about windows 7 and getting the key, but I don't remember enough details to really conjecture on.

Unless someone else comes up with something, you could try MS tech support. Its free, and the few times that I've called them, it has always come out well.

I thought it was $50 for their tech support?

Interesting, I've never been charged. Then again, I've only called them about activation issues, (the second and third tier, everything is F'ed up kind)

Did the webpages of the keyfinders say that they would work with windows 7? Did you install the OS on the laptop to begin with, or did you get it from someone like that?

Is it possible that the activation was cracked, and a key was never entered?

I didn't even look at the features... Just went to the page, downloaded the latest version 2.08 and ran it... it found my Win7 key without a problem.

Just tried all of these. I still get BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB

I don't see how this is possible....

This may be a stupid question but have you looked at your system info in control panel? Mine shows at the bottom of the display window.

Back