• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with getting more than.1 pts on HWBot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainman33

I have been going crazy for a couple weeks trying to obtain more than .1 pt on the bot. I am really trying to get on the benching team to contribute even the small scores I get and simply because it's fun! Any help gaining more points is appreciated. I use win 7 x64 and believe I have my 950 maxed under water although with a little tweaking I am sure I can get more. I can't find a free 90 or 30 day trial of xp because it should get me more points being a lighter o/s with fewer backround operations going on from what I understand. A link to that would be cool too. Any suggestions, ideas? :shrug: You guys need me to post any screenshots or anything? Again trying hard to get on the team, thanks a bunch! :salute:

Are you benching at your stable overclock results? For benching we usually overclock past what most people consider stable. Push your cpu far enough that it barely completes the bench.
Overclock your memory as far as it will go, faster speeds with lower timings.
Don't use your 24/7 o/s. Run a different version of windows. Sometimes xp or vista is better, depending on which bench. Try to kill all processes in task manager that are not needed and set priorities higher on the bench.

My 950 is no where near 24 hr stability when benching. Sometimes I wonder how I even get through wprime 1m! ha ha! I understand what you mean though. I am trying to get my uncore as high as i can and as far as ram timings I have not messed with them much bc I am not sure of how to set the 4th #. example: my mushkin at stock is 1600 9-9-9-24. If I go 10-10-10-? what does the 24 change to and why?I don't just want a "number" I would like to know why. and if I go 8-8-8- how do I know what to set the 4th # at? I read through the stickies and they are very explanitory, and have helped me trough everything else I guess my brain just has a wall up to understanding ram timings for some stupid reason. thanks man :thup:

It's going to be really hard to get decent results with newish equipment as most of the people you are competing against are using sub-zero cooling and modded boards and cards.

An ease way to rack up points is to pick a NF7-S or P4C800 and some good chips. Fairly affordable and should yield decent points on air.

:

That cpu has been run by a bunch of people with sub zero, so it will be hard to get much 2d points. I am unsure if you could get many 3d points with that cpu, you would have to try with cpu and gpu maxed to see if you are even close. If you have some hardware that is less used by the sub zero people, then it would probably be easier. Although you may be able to get further if you do a chilled water type setup. Put your radiator into a bucket of icewater or something like that.

Might want to get an 8800-series video card and beat it to hell. Should get you enough points to be on the team with that CPU you've got since 2D points really isn't going to happen.

Actually I can get my hands on an 8800 so That's the way to go then. That p4c800 sounds like a plan too. They look cheap enough to beat up on as well not to mention I have about 10 478 cpus. I was starting to think that everyone is or was beating up on the 950 at one point so it would be hard to compete. The ice water idea sounds good too but while I look into the other parts maybe will take my asus commando back out and run it with a cpu not used much on the bot. Anyway all awesome ideas and I will be exploring into all of them. You guys rock!! Thanks a bunch!! :thup:

Actually I can get my hands on an 8800 so That's the way to go then. That p4c800 sounds like a plan too. They look cheap enough to beat up on as well not to mention I have about 10 478 cpus. I was starting to think that everyone is or was beating up on the 950 at one point so it would be hard to compete. The ice water idea sounds good too but while I look into the other parts maybe will take my asus commando back out and run it with a cpu not used much on the bot. Anyway all awesome ideas and I will be exploring into all of them. You guys rock!! Thanks a bunch!! :thup:

You have a commando?!

My 950 is no where near 24 hr stability when benching. Sometimes I wonder how I even get through wprime 1m! ha ha! I understand what you mean though. I am trying to get my uncore as high as i can and as far as ram timings I have not messed with them much bc I am not sure of how to set the 4th #. example: my mushkin at stock is 1600 9-9-9-24. If I go 10-10-10-? what does the 24 change to and why?I don't just want a "number" I would like to know why. and if I go 8-8-8- how do I know what to set the 4th # at? I read through the stickies and they are very explanitory, and have helped me trough everything else I guess my brain just has a wall up to understanding ram timings for some stupid reason. thanks man :thup:

To answer your timing question...

A good rule of thumb to start out is to add them together... so 10-10-10 would then leave you at 30.

RAM timings are ALL about testing and seeing what works and what doesn't...

You'll even find that you'll be able to run some benches at given timings, but other benches will crash... Example... SPi1m can be run at tighter timings than SPi32m.

Like I said though... You'll almost ALWAYS be able to at least start with adding the 3 together to get the 4th.

You have a commando?!

THIS! Thats a nice board!

To answer your timing question...

A good rule of thumb to start out is to add them together... so 10-10-10 would then leave you at 30.

RAM timings are ALL about testing and seeing what works and what doesn't...

You'll even find that you'll be able to run some benches at given timings, but other benches will crash... Example... SPi1m can be run at tighter timings than SPi32m.

Like I said though... You'll almost ALWAYS be able to at least start with adding the 3 together to get the 4th.

THIS! Thats a nice board!

Wow seems so simple to start out with. I will give that a try after my sons baseball game. Now I am excited! HA HA I guess I get a bit geeky with this stuff!

Yeah I had that commando put away for over a year and didn't even think of trying it until you guys mentioned older hardware.Never benched or O/c'd once if you can believe that! Poor wasted board now that I think of it!

like said above try and run multiple setups and you will get some points here and there.

Back