Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
    Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge

My New Geothermal Cooling Loop!

Go make something, and quit buying ready made versions of someone else's idea of what you need.
    You make the 1% sheeple!
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-18-14 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Removed featured tag. Leaving OP as the OP left it in September, 2014.

2. Thanks!

Convicted1 (05-09-12), hokiealumnus (05-08-12), I.M.O.G. (05-08-12), madhatter256 (01-21-14), Silver_Pharaoh (02-18-14), unijabnx2000 (04-16-13)

Benching Profile Folding Profile
    +like9billion!

can you it a full load for like 3-1/2 weeks and see if you break 30c?

PS: Moar pics!
    CASE: HAF - X BUILD PICS
    PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz 1.17v
    Custom Water Cooling Loop - XSPC RX360 w/ Swiftech Helix 120s Pull- Alphacool Monsta 140 w/ 2x Bgear Blaster 140 push/pull
    - EK Suprm HF CPU Block - XSPC RezTop on MCP350 pump -Tubed in Black n coiled in RED
    GPU: EVGA GTX680 HydroCopper @1201 GPU / 6110 Mem
    MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 9-11-10 1.5v
    HD: OCZ Agility3 SATAIII 120gb : 3TB 7200rpm SATAII 64mb cache

Wow that is simply amazing, I have never seen anything like it!
    i5 2500k @ 4.8 gHz. 1.3v..................Q9650 @ 4.0 gHz.
    Kingston Hyper 1600mHz 4gb..........XMS3 1600mHz 4gb
    Asus P8P67 Pro B3...........................790i Ultra FTW
    XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
    CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
    CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
    Custom Maple Gaming Case

Registered
    Kudos... simply amazing engineering on that...

Even if for some reason that failed, which it DIDNT A+++ for effort...
    CPU : AMD FX-8120 3.1mhz
    MoBo : Asus Crosshair V Formula
    RAM : 16GB AMD Performance 1600mhz
    w/ Crucial Ballistix Cooler
    Video : EVGA GTX570
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
    SSD : Crucial M4 64GB (OS,Drivers)
    HDD : 2x 500G 7200RPM WD Caviar Black
    Case : CoolerMaster HAF 932
    PSU : CoolerMaster 850w Gold Silent Hybrid Pro

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Author Profile
    Can't wait for temprsults and long term usage results.

This is called 'green cooling' and nicely done!
    I want my old title back.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
    27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    I'd been running it all week gutted on the floor and using an ice cream bucket as a reservoir while I finished the real res, and the temps posted are it!
    At start up it's room temp, and drops to 14.5 within a minute. After about 5 hours it gradually "climbs" to 15. I've seen it hit 15.5 once while running Prime, but after an hour water temp went back to 15 and stayed there over night.
    The tube that goes through the box from the underground loop to the waterblock has a 4" piece of copper tubing joining the two types of tubing, and on that is my temp probe fastened with furon temp conducting tape--the same tape the probes come wrapped in.
    The system is res>pump>underground>CPU>back to res, so that's the temp from the ground.

I'm thinking of picking up a can of flat black BBQ paint to paint the drain fitting, so I can use an IR thermometer for a second opinion though...it's very thermally conductive paint, and the IR's are best on non shiny surfaces.

Attachment 109533

It says CPU, but I don't have a 7' probe to reach the CPU, the Aerogate complains when there's no probe or fan on the CPU channel, so I had to use one. Normally I don't care much about the water temp, but this is a bit of a special case I guess. The RPM is the 355. I plugged in both pumps and the fan to the controller so I get an alarm when something quits.
    Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 12:53 AM.

Just a normal member title.
    #TEAMH20HNO
    First Responders
    I mean amazing. If I was you I'd patent this idea as you never know some futuristic homes full of eletronics could use some good cooling. Just saying and I said it so I'd only ask for a single digit percentage once this went global. AMAZING. I kept going back to your old thread looking for updates till I found this new one. Great job. Innovation starts here......

P.S. - The housing that was laying on the floor without reading originally I thought that was a safebox I'am like oh this guys making it fire proof! WHOA! haha
    ll Corsair 900D ll Intel i7-950 ll Intel DX58SO ll Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 12GB (3x4GB) ll Corsair Link ll EVGA GTX 780 Classified 3 GB Hydro Copper ll Samsung EVO 500GB SSD ll WD VelociRaptor 10k RPM 300GB - x2 ll WD Black 1.5 TB - x2 ll Toshiba 3TB ll Corsair AX1200i ll ASUS VS248H-P 24" 2ms LED - x3 - Nvidia Surround ll Bose Companion 5 ll
    ll Swiftech Apogee HD ll Black Ice SR-1 240mm+360mm+480mm ll Helix120 (PWM) ll Swiftech Maelstrom-35X2 ll Koolance QDC (VLN4) ll Bitspower Compression Fittings (1/2 ID 3/4 OD) ll Koolance Flow Meter Adapter With Display ll Phobya Temp Sensor Coupler ll PrimoChill Advanced LRT 1/2 ID 3/4 OD (Elegant White) ll
    "I haven't had any problems with distilled + PTnuke in mine, and have gone nearly two years straight without a flush now.
    In fact, my hardware needs upgrading more so than my coolant. lol!" - Martinsliquidlab
    Tom Petterson from Nvidia and Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective take my question. Video can be seen here @ - Post#127 -

Folding Profile
    This is the coolest thing ever! (no pun intended)
    That's such a great idea. It's even better that it works!
    Intel i5-2500 | HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ Turbo
    Seasonic Gold X750 | Corsair H70
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro
    16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1648 Mhz 8-8-8-1T| ASUS P8Z68-V LX
    Corsair Obsidian 650D |

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Oh I'm not the first to do this, I just tried to do it better though.
    I used the soft tubing for better heat transfer with the thin walls, and it's coiled so that the water is forced against at least one side for "impingement"-scrubbing off the boundary layer of water molecules that don't move much.

Hopefully this will be enough for my meager video card to be added without too much penalty...it not, I'll be digging again!

**Lolz at the fire safe! It's top back and bottom are 3/4" Pine board, the front and two sides are 1/4" HDF (aka malamine, like a clipboard). I used Rustoleum Hammered brown paint, the flash makes it look lighter than in person. The black lining is a dense neoprene foam with an adhesive peel and stick back--I used to work at the company that makes it, and have a few yards of it.
    Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 01:26 AM.

Fronting as a Mod Member
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile

I wish I could do something like that, but here in SoFla; I'm afraid that I'd just be warming the water up instead...

I'm sure that loop would be able to handle waaaay more than what you're throwing at it right now.
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Yeah, it's only a 65W processor, and the video card is a passively cooled GT520 (with a monster heatsink that I'd like to get rid of). This mobo only allows .15 increase in volts, so that won't be changing as I try to OC higher.
    I'll be finding out next week, no one makes a GT520 block, so I'll have to make one of my own I guess. None of the universal's have a 3 bolt pattern.

At least in Flordidia you have sand so the digging is easy! Go down 5 feet! The downside is you have to dig 10' wide to go 5' down!!
    Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 01:46 AM.

Premium Member #2

Awesome Thread and awesome project!

And yep... Dig Deep Enough... You'll eventually get to 55 degree dirt.
    xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Thanks!

Let's see...a couple buddies with 12 packs, 2 ladders, a gas-powered post hole digger w/5 extensions. Go vertical!
    "Hold my beer and watch me get a Darwin award!!"

This is easily the coolest thing I've ever seen on here. I imagine your computer would be just about completely silent now. Awesome, I suspect it could handle a pretty decent overclock too
    CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
    RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
    Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
    GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
    Teamspeak Audio: SMSL SD-793II DAC, Sennheiser CX270 Earbuds + BM800 Condenser Microphone
    Amp/Speakers: SMSL SA-50 T-Amp, Polk Audio TSi500 Bookshelf Speakers
    Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
    PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter
    Fourth Quarter 2012

Benching Profile
    Amazing !!!!!!!
    thanks for teaching me something new today!!

CM Storm Trooper Chassis - ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme
    Core i7 3930k 5.0Ghz (1.52Vcore) <= 24mths! no decaying!
    select1: GTX680 3x SLI @1280Mhz
    select2: HD7970 GE @ 1300Mhz
    32Gb Trident 2400 DDR3 10-10-12-30 T1
    Motto: I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!!

My Rig's build log ::: Fans 101: Going Scientific ::: Water Cooling FAQ

Fronting as a Mod Member
    One thing I was meaning to ask... I see you only went with 36" of depth for the trench; are you sure that depth is going to be below your frost depth?
    I remember seeing another geothermal loop over at XS and the guy mentioned he had to go 60" down in order to avoid the winter frost from damaging the pipes and/or freezing the water.
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

Premium Member #2

That was my first thought as well being in MI...

Here in Missouri... The freeze line is 18-24".... I'd think it'd be quite a bit deeper up there.

EDIT...

Looks like you're good to go @ 36".
    xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT

Premium Member #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggrr View Post
    At least in Flordidia you have sand so the digging is easy! Go down 5 feet! The downside is you have to dig 10' wide to go 5' down!!
    Another thing to consider is that ground temperature is a function of the average air temperature in a given region. That's why deep caves in Southern Idaho have temperatures around 0-5C, while deep caves here in the Marianas have temperatures of 27C. Ground loops are well-suited to Northern climes, but provide no benefit in the tropics.
    Last edited by hafa; 05-06-12 at 06:40 AM.
    HTPC: Core i3 540/8GB/300GB Raptor/GTS450-1GB/W7P-64 ~|~ File Server: (Green) AMD 4850E/4GB/6TB RAID/Windows Server 2008 ~|~ Notebook/Workstation: M780 Toshiba Convertible Tablet/i7 M620/8GB/128GB Crucial M4 SSD /7200RPM 750GB/W8 Pro

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Yep, I live across the lake from Chicago, in the 28" zone, although that's a worst case scenario even then.
    You can bet I'll be watching temps, maybe adding a bit of AF through the first winter just to be prepared...I didn't forget the drain, so it won't be hard to flush it back out.

Still, adding anti-freeze isn't as huge a penalty as we make it out to be. Maybe 3-5, which I can easily afford starting this low to begin with.
    Plus the frost line is just that, the zone where it begins to freeze. I would only need protection to maybe a few below to be safe, certainly not a 50/50 mix like in a car (-40F).

**If all else fails, it's only $30 worth of copper. I can retrench it to 48" if I don't like the results.
    Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hafa View Post
    Another thing to consider is that ground temperature is a function of the average air temperature in a given region. That's why deep caves in Southern Idaho have temperatures around 0-5C, while deep caves here in the Marianas have temperatures of 27C. Ground loops are well-suited in Northern climes, but provide no benefit in the tropics.
    Bugger..... Looks like there's little chance of running one here in Australia..... Might be ok for those in Tasmania and Victoria still though.
    CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
    RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
    Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
    GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
    Teamspeak Audio: SMSL SD-793II DAC, Sennheiser CX270 Earbuds + BM800 Condenser Microphone
    Amp/Speakers: SMSL SA-50 T-Amp, Polk Audio TSi500 Bookshelf Speakers
    Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
    PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast