• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't make up my mind... You guys tell me! 980X or 2600K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys!

I've been fighting with myself for months as to what to put back together for my daily rig...

I'm going to use some of my left over benching gear... and can't decide what I want to do for my daily rig. This Q9550 on P5Q Pro isn't cutting the mustard though.

My options are.... 980X on X58-OC Mobo.... Or 2600K on a MIVE-Z.

I'm that guy that has about 40 tabs open in his browser, while running 17 programs across 3 different monitors... So I'm thinking the extra cores of the 980X might be a plus.

But then again... The 2600K should donkey stomp the 980X in lightly threaded apps.... Which might make it "Feel" faster than the 980X.

What say you?

:confused:

Given your situation, I'd use the 980X since you'll be heavily multitasking. I doubt you'll notice the difference in the 2600K and 980X in lightly threaded everyday apps. I can't tell the difference between an E8700 and 2700K in everyday use...

Wow...

Nobody else has an opinion huh?

The 980X was the way I was leaning... So I guess that'll be the way I go!

Thanks Matt for swayin' me in one direction at least! LOL

Nah...

Don't care to spend a bunch of cash for my daily rig...

I got all this stuff here already... Might as well use some of it.

Thanks for the input though.

Why are we telling a fellow benching team member what to rock for 24/7 CPU?! N00b! :p

Being serious, I still say 2600k. Its not like you are rendering, running a VM, and encoding a DVD at the same time (right). 2600k will be fine IMO.

LOL...

It took me forever to decide to post this thread for that very reason!

I just can't make up my mind what would serve me better!

I can definitely see me running a VM, Endoding a DVD, Doing some Photochopping, and surfing 15 tabs of IE, and playing BF3 at the same time...

However... The times when I'm not doing ALL that at once... The 2600K would definitely fit the bill.

Basically... I'm taking votes! LOL

Whatever has more votes by the end of the night tonight... Gets the nod for my daily rig.

Back