• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Black Hawk said:
"Hail Maximus ... altimus studious magister de transferous calorimos de computeros! Bene fortuna!"

Lets see if I remember this: "Hail Maximus ... High Study Master of Heat transfer of Computers! Good fortune!" I think that is how is is translated, but it's in latin word order, and I don't want to put it in english word order.

BTW, it should be "Salve, Maximus!..." :D

I completely agree however. Maximus, you did a great job on this.

You are correct ... "Salve" would have been more correct as a greating. Since it has beeen 27+ years since I took my one year in Latin in high school, I admidt, I was "winging it" a bit:) Perhaps I should have said "heil"? Or is that another type of Caeser/Tsar/Czar greeting? Heaven forbid it was of the Leni Reiphanshatal (sic) type "Heil"!

Should I buy a bigger case so I have more room to work with ? Or should I keep trying to cool my mini-atx case?

The Radman has been toying with the idea of a liquid cooling system with one unique aspect-oil instead of water. It would eliminate the water damage-shorting problems asscociated with water, and act as a better lubricant for the pump seals. Any thoughts? I was thinking of using a very light oil, such as Mobil 1 0-30 synthetic, or a synthetic auto-trans lube, all the easier to spot leaks due to the red dye.

HI EBFoxbat,

A bigger case is always a real help for airflow and ventilation with a lot less noise, I would reccommend the Antec Full Tower case to you, it has massive vents for excellent ventilation and superb features.
EMI (Electro Magnetic Interferance) protection, removable HDD bays (switch) to name but a few.

I bought mine from From here however I live in the UK, let me know if you're interested and I'll find a US vendor for you.
There also available in many different colours. (colors in the US:D)

Maximus Nickus

Radman said:
The Radman has been toying with the idea of a liquid cooling system with one unique aspect-oil instead of water. It would eliminate the water damage-shorting problems asscociated with water, and act as a better lubricant for the pump seals. Any thoughts? I was thinking of using a very light oil, such as Mobil 1 0-30 synthetic, or a synthetic auto-trans lube, all the easier to spot leaks due to the red dye.

Hi Radman,

Many people including me have toyed with the idea of using a non-conductive fluid in our cooling systems, (I was pertified of using H20!):eek: but using Water is really the only (practical) option.

Waters thermal attributes are much better than any Oil, (i.e. It absorbs heat better!!) there is one Oil which is nearly as good as H20 but its nearly $500 per Gallon :eek: :eek:

The great thing with H20 though is how reliable it is set up correctly, a watercooling system should never ever leak, just make sure you run it outside your case to check for leaks for about 24 hours before you install it into your case.

Water is only conductive because of all the gumpth (great grammar!!!) and bits in it (iron etc), as long as you use Distilled Water and Water-Wetter, then corrosion will be down to a minimum and the Thermal attributes will be increased (thanks to the Water-Wetter).

Oil isn't practical becasue of the cost, and the awful Heat absorbance and dissipation, you can Water-proof all your components with a spray so if anything does leak its not the end of the world, (some components such as a few Motherboards are already coated).
However if you are not comfortable then I would wait itll you are, theres less chance of you doing something wrong then!!

Good Luck,
Maximus Nickus

P.S. Sorry for my late replys but my PC (Windows XP :rolleyes: ) has decided to play games and thus has stopped functioning!
I will have it back up and running soon! So hold tight!!!!:D

Last edited:
Another thing you could use is flourinert. It has better thermal properties than water, it's a liquid you can breathe (weird isn't it?), and is completely harmless. It's great stuff if you have mucho $$$.

I imagine so. It costs a few hundred dollars per gallon, though. It evaporates very easily without a trace, and feels oily in your hand.

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with different Fluids against H20....

Edit/ My H20 rig will be here soon! Then I can update the Watercooling section of this thread...:)

Maximus Nickus

What kind of components did you choose for your H2O system? There is a sticky in the cooling section with the numbers for different fluids, and mixtures.

BTW, in your sig, it should be "The Gladiator who defied and Emperor", not Empire.

Voodoo Rufus said:
What kind of components did you choose for your H2O system? There is a sticky in the cooling section with the numbers for different fluids, and mixtures.

BTW, in your sig, it should be "The Gladiator who defied and Emperor", not Empire.

200Gph pump, Heater Core and a Becooling Jagged Edge Copper Waterblock, I'm also thinking about Vid Card/HDD/N Bridge Waterblocks!

Oh and about the sig well I'm right!
I have the DVD here right now and its exact, word for word. Maybe its different overseas.

M_N

Hmm, maybe on the box, but in the movie Commidus' sister says otherwise.

What brand pump? Sounds like a cheap system with a lot of cooling power with the heater core. Good luck.

I don't know which brand pump:rolleyes: but I will be upgrading to a 400Gph when I get it.

Yes its going to be great, its doesn't leave a hole in my wallet (not noticeable anyway...:D) and it is going to have superb cooling power.
The Waterblock is supposed to be great to due to the terbulance. (I hope!)

What sort of cooling do you have?

Yes I was looking at the box, I might watch the film again then change it but not just yet!!

M_N

Back