• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Air Flow Help

I've posted some pics at another spot in the forums Here but their ideas didn't work for me. Some people seemed confused about where my fans were so here is a batter description of where they are
Case Fan #1-on back of case below PSU blowing out- 92mm Adda

Case Fan #2- on front bottom case sucking in- 80mm generic

CPU Fan- Sucking off PAL 8045 which is on a 1.4Tbird@1500
with a shim and AS2- OCZ Smart Fan

My PSU fan is also blowing out

With this setup my system temps are at about 27C and CPU temps are at about 41C idleing, and about 43C after an hour or two of Unreal Tournament. However these are better than the temps with A thermaltake Mini-Super Orb where the CPU temps were at 52C Ideling.

PS. Ave is Heil in Latin:cool:

This message counts as a bump, too:D

If you can change your intake to a 120mm fan. I think you need more cfm going in. Also take that shim off! That could be raising the hs away from the core. If you cant add a 120 look for a 92 or 80mm fan with high output but that will be noisy.

Re: Air Flow Help

gulp35 said:
I've posted some pics at another spot in the forums Here but their ideas didn't work for me. Some people seemed confused about where my fans were so here is a batter description of where they are
Case Fan #1-on back of case below PSU blowing out- 92mm Adda

Case Fan #2- on front bottom case sucking in- 80mm generic

CPU Fan- Sucking off PAL 8045 which is on a 1.4Tbird@1500
with a shim and AS2- OCZ Smart Fan

My PSU fan is also blowing out

With this setup my system temps are at about 27C and CPU temps are at about 41C idleing, and about 43C after an hour or two of Unreal Tournament. However these are better than the temps with A thermaltake Mini-Super Orb where the CPU temps were at 52C Ideling.

PS. Ave is Heil in Latin:cool:

This message counts as a bump, too:D

Thanks for the bump!

Your Case Temperature seems to be fine and your CPU temp isn't bad at all, Well Done!

The only way you could lower your CPU temp is to have a powerful fan blowing directly onto it providing a cool wave of fresh air.
I tried this and it lowered temps but it creates a lot of noise so isn't really a practical option.

Good Setup!
If you need any hepl just ask!
M_N

You could also try upping the CFM coming in and out, the best way to do this is with 120mm fans.
However you need to be handy with the ol dremel:eek: :D And if dust is your problem try to maintain positive airflow, dust accumulates a lot less this way.

You could also lower your temps a few degrees by using AS3, and removing that shim. Also make sure the HSF is lapped. (If you need hep with this just ask). Of course you could just add a higher CFM rated fan onto the HSF itself.
But if you don't like the idea of having a Jet in your PC (noise wise) you could make a 120MM adapter to fit right on your 8045...

If your interested I'll find you a link!

Good Luck,
M_N

Thanks, but...

Thanks for the info:), but right now i am saving up for an new monitor (max. Resolution right now is 800x600) and a GeForce 4 Ti4400, so I can't go out and buy that many fans, however I have scavenged about and found 5 92mm fans counting the one on my case. do you think that I could just mount a bunch of them to the side of the case,duct one of them to the CPU, and cut a hole on the top of the case to let out the extra air? Right now my second project right now is a Suitcase case to go to LANs and need a little help with air flow on that one too. Right now I was thinking of just mounting as many fans on the case as possible.

O yeah

I forgot to mention in my last post that I have a touch of death to CPUs and that is why I have the shim on. I broke my last CPU after taking off the HSF to see the serial code on the CPU after having the computer for 2 months. another 100$ out of wallet

Having lots of fans isn't always the answer, having good airflow is the key.

IDE cables, power cables an so on all get in the way (hence rounded cables and cable-ties:D) having one fan ducted on the CPU is better than lots of fans on the side, otherwise you will have conflicting airflow (fans blowing in), swap the intake with a 120MM fan and as heat particles rise have a fan blowing out the top, just remember airflow is the key, I added lots of fans once and my temps went up.

Careful planning and cable-ties are the answer.;)
If you need anymore help just ask and I will be glad to help.

M_N

Tieing up cables

I tied up my cables today and hid them behind the mobo tray. right now my fan on my HS is sucking away from the heatsink but when I first installed the HSF I had the fan blowing onto the HS and got better temps but I reversed the fan because ALPHA said that it was better but it wasn't however I haven't had the time to switch the fan back. The front bezel of my case is curved and only has 2 holes about the size of a grain of rice in front of the intake fan. I was thinking of hacking it up with my dremel, but the buttons and lights to turn on the PC are built on to it making it near impossible to cut at.

About Air flow I was thinking of putting in a blow hole on the top of my case but thought that it would draw air away from the PSU but it would also suck some more hot air out of the case. Because of the previous problem about the front bezel I was thinking of putting on a fan on the side and ducting it toward the possition of a normal front intake fan. I was thinking about ducting another fan making a pattern like an Z but across the top part have a stream of air blowing across

I miss typed my temps also it is at 30C in the case, and at 41.5C on the CPU ideling. and I don't know what my full load temps are.

once again thanks for the help

Last edited:
Here is a diagram of good efficient airflow.
A 120MM at the top right in the CD-Rom bay,80MM's all around, some PCI slot blowers.

This setup is very efficient except for one thing, the CPU fan is powerful and thus disrupts the airflow. So if you made a duct either for fresh air coming in or hot air going out then no airflow disruption. (Will require a hole in side of case.)
Also you can have your 8045 fan anyway around, gains/losses all depend on the airflow disruption. But if you want a 4-5C drop in temps the only action is to by a 68/80CFM Delta and put it on your Alpha. They are VERY loud but the temp drop will be very noticeable.

Also the Alpha 8045 is very easy to take on and off so no CPU crushing there! I would lap the HSF, use AS3 for another 3-4C temp drop.

Also how much cooler are both the CPU and Case if the case panel at the side is removed? Don't put a big room fan on it or anything just take the case side off.

Another quick thing where is your PC placed? If its in direct sunlight, by a radiator and such the temps will be higher. And what is your room temp? The objective with air is to get as close to room temp as possible as its impossible to get below it.

Hope this helps,
M_N

Last edited:
Good article; certainly worth a bump;)

...but even better is the discussion here - quite informative.

Maximus, maybe you could write preferable fan sizes on your scheme? I just don't get which ones do you advise to put in front - the'ye all different in size at your drawing...

A semi-offtopic question: will 80-watt Peltier be sufficient for Celeron 633@1000? And will my OCZ Goliath be sufficient to cool down that little beast? :)

RZA said:
Good article; certainly worth a bump;)

...but even better is the discussion here - quite informative.

Maximus, maybe you could write preferable fan sizes on your scheme? I just don't get which ones do you advise to put in front - the'ye all different in size at your drawing...

A semi-offtopic question: will 80-watt Peltier be sufficient for Celeron 633@1000? And will my OCZ Goliath be sufficient to cool down that little beast? :)

Welcome to the Forums RZA!

The picture was just for gulp35 as he doesn't have room to fit a 120MM fan anywhere else, I always recommend larger fans as they are quieter whilst pushing out phenomenal amounts of air.
I usually have a few 120MM's in the front (depending on space) and 80MM's in the back to maintain positive air pressure (less dust accumulates) and because there are usually more fan apertures in the back of a case, and no room for 120MM's.

If you go for 120MM's the 60-80CFM ones are the quietest.

As for the 80Watt peltier yes that should be sufficient as Celerons under 1Ghz don't put out much heat, and yes the HSF should be able to cool it down as again they don't put out much heat.

Once you get over 1Ghz a 100Watt Peltier should do the job, and a HSF like the Alpha P4 sohuld be able to cool it down very well.

Just remember a 80Watt Peltier won't get to sub-zero temps, and you need a good PSU to run them.

Just post in the Intel CPU's section for an answer, or if you like I will post a thread there on your behalf, just say the word:)

M_N

MY case

My case has no space above the PSU and only one place for a 80mm fan in the back, and one place for a 80mm in the bottom front. since I only have 2 5-1/4 drive bays open I can just barely fit one 92mm. the sides of my case ,however, are free of fans ad I was thinking of puting a 92mm over the HSF and ducting it down (i reversed my HS fan again now it is blowing onto the HS), and putting 2 92mm fans on the side of the case over the videocard, then 2 more 92mm on the top of the case as a blow hole. IS this a good plan?

Certainly is,

Just make sure the fans blowing from the side aren't conflicting too much with the fans on the front.

You may wish to just have one fan in the side ducted onto the CPU then you won't have conflicting airflow.

OR make a duct for your Vid Card as well, that would certainly lower temps.

M_N

No sides on case temps

31C- Case ideling
38C- CPU ideling

What do you reccomend for making ducts? I used cardbord from a NIC box but it raised my temps.

well done nick - another stickie, when can i expect you definitive desussions guide? :) just a note on the fans, i would allways go for the largest, most powerful fan avable, this i because they can always be slowed down using basic tricks (running them of the 5v line or at 6v) or with resistors/varyable resistors/voltage regulators,

it is always nice knowing that you have the extra power avalable incase you change your system.

the overclocker said:
well done nick - another stickie, when can i expect you definitive desussions guide? :) just a note on the fans, i would allways go for the largest, most powerful fan avable, this i because they can always be slowed down using basic tricks (running them of the 5v line or at 6v) or with resistors/varyable resistors/voltage regulators,

it is always nice knowing that you have the extra power avalable incase you change your system.

Thanks bro,

:beer: :D

Re: No sides on case temps

gulp35 said:
31C- Case ideling
38C- CPU ideling

What do you reccomend for making ducts? I used cardbord from a NIC box but it raised my temps.

Use plexi, its strong and if cut propaly easy to deal with.

Just accured to me what size is your case? Mini, Midi or Full? I found that with a Full tower case temps drop dramatically, mine did 10C:eek:

I think you temps may have risen due to air getting trapped and disrupted airflow, try making many prototypes before you use the plexi and see which is best.:)

M_N

case size

My case is a mid size case. However it may not be in there for long since I am begining to work on my suitcase case, but I wanted to optimize this cases cooling before I go on to puttong my computer in the suit case. I am about to make a 92mm fan adapter simular to the one that someone did for the AX7 on the main page.

Back