• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second 5850 back online

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickdstik

Finally got Red back up to full speed after spending a couple months trying to figure out the crazy fan problem. Ended up taking the shroud off, and amazingly, the noise went down a lot. Still has a broken bearing in it, so for now, there's a 120mm Aerocool shark fan blowing across the heatsink which is keeping it cool enough to operate. RAC is already climbing, so leaving Crossfire off is definitely making a difference.

If your card is no longer in warranty, you may be able to find some replacement fans on ebay. Just a heads up.

Got a replacement radial fan ordered, but it's doing quite nicely with just the aerocool blowing across the heatpipes. Still staying in the mid 70s when fully loaded, so it's not all that bad, and its a TON quieter.

63,800 credit earned with 42 minutes left in the SETI day. Looks like the second 5850 is worth about 12k new credit. Given that, Red should see 30K RAC before its done climbing.

Stumbling block for a today. Had to take Red offline last night due to loss of a/c and 90+ degree temperatures in my apartment. Will be rebuilding red in a new case as the Lian Li just doesn't have the flexibility I need for this setup and temperatures are somewhat higher than I'd like (CPU at load still hits nearly 60C and GPU load temps are way higher than I'd like due to lack of any real side airflow. Should have Red back online tonight or tomorrow.

Red back online now, after getting a/c fixed. One casualty was the Asus Gene II motherboard ... thankfully it was still under my replacement contract with Fry's and they exchanged it with a Sabertooth x58. Lose one motherboard, gain one PCI-Ex slot ... hmmm. Out of pci-express connectors on power supply so maybe a lower powered nVidia card is in that slot's future.

Back