• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should One Flash Bios On Newly Built Computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomBrooklyn

Should one flash the bios to upgrade to the latest bios when they build a computer using an Intel compatible motherboard?

I just built a computer with the following:

Motherboard: Asus Z68-V LX
Bios: American Megatrends Inc. Version 0401 Dated: 7/15/11
CPU: Intel i7 2600K

It's working fine. Windows is working. Although I haven't checked for Windows updates yet. Probably there is an auto function for that, but I haven't been advised of any updates. I have loaded all the drivers. The internet connection is working.

It's like when you get new hardware then it's good to upgrade BIOS to latest version. Even when board is new then BIOS already have 1-3 months.
On the other hand when everything is working fine then you shouldn't touch anything. Latest doesn't mean best or most stable version.
Best will be just read what new version is adding/fixing and decide if it's worth to upgrade.

Flash BIOS on New Build That's Working?

I bought this board back in December, but I didn't get around to building it until just now. The BIOS is from July 15, 2011, which makes it 10 months old.

Everything is working so far with all drivers and Windows 7 installed; but I haven't installed a video card in it yet (planning on AMD FirePro 4900), or an SSD HD (which I'll do maybe six months to a year from now.)

If I'm going to risk bricking the board, I'd rather do it now, before I load everything and am relying on it. On the other hand, I don't want to take any chances if there's no reason to.

You personally, at this time, have no reason to. Unless the bios update have something you need (like CPU support), I wouldnt do it.

If your board has some kind of BIOS back up, yes, and if the BIOS is stable.
If your board has no BIOS back up, and BIOS is beta, don't do it.

I speak from experience.

If your board has some kind of BIOS back up, yes, and if the BIOS is stable.
Someone told me my board has something called ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 on it. I'm not sure what that is or how it works, but I'm going to look into it. It sounds like some kind of recovery mechanism if things go wrong.

i would guess that feature is pretty much just for recovering from a failed overclock

Personally I don't touch the bioses on new parts I get unless I have to.
A failed flash results in a dead board.

I did on my board below because the F3 BIOS that came with it would put the BIOS in a POST LOOP I had installed Win 7, It couldn't get past the main screen to get to Windows load screen just kept looping over and over, once I manged to get into Windows and let me tell you it was a pain not even a CMOS clear did it.

I flashed it to F8 and it fixed it and fixed issues with the onboard USB 3.0 controller, unless the latest version or other versions above have any fixes then I would leave it as it is.

Some board vendors I dont think give RMA over a failed BIOS flash

Thanks for the opinions. It seems like the for and against is about 50-50.

I decided to do it. It went smoothly. The way Asus had it set up it was almost automatic after putting the new BIOS on a USB stick.

I think I might have had to do it in the future anyway because I'll probably put an SSD in here, and any risk was less now than it would be later when I was more dependent on the computer.

Some board vendors I dont think give RMA over a failed BIOS flash

I never had problems with RMA when bios failed. In most cases support can't check it anyway till they get board ( so you already get RMA number ).
Asus will give RMA for almost everything and later depends from country they will fix it or not. I don't know what with Gigabyte or MSI as I know they have almost only RMA through distribution so generally they take everything.
ASRock support will give RMA without problems or can offer you BIOS chip replacement ( at least in Europe ) but you will have to pay for it about 5 € ( I had that situation with P67 board ).
Most boards have recovery technology or dual bios but for example ASRock boards don't have recovery for their P67/Z68 or older boards ( I don't know if they added it to Z77/X79 ).
On some ROG boards you can even flash back BIOS without cpu so they don't really need dual bios or anything else ;)

A lot of scaryness in here surrounding flashing a BIOS. Done properly, I've never had one go wrong on me...

But my opinion is if you cannot get the new PC booted, flash the BIOS. If you can get the OS installed, wait to flash and read up on BIOS updates for your mobo.

Thanks for the opinions. It seems like the for and against is about 50-50.

I decided to do it. It went smoothly. The way Asus had it set up it was almost automatic after putting the new BIOS on a USB stick.

I think I might have had to do it in the future anyway because I'll probably put an SSD in here, and any risk was less now than it would be later when I was more dependent on the computer.
You wouldnt have had to do it to add an SSD.

Glad it worked out. :thup:

I usually flash anything and everything :D

Seriously though, I always flash my boards when they have something I want need or think is a good idea. There is always a risk involved but I have never had an issue with any bios in over 10 years of doing them.

I just got this EVGA GTX570 about 3 months ago. After 1 month I saw there was a bios update for it. Apparently the card would only allow the fan to run up to 80% speed the way it was. The bios flash takes the fan to be able to run at 100%.

I flashed it 10 minutes after seeing the file. LOL

Never bricked any mobo, video card, CD/DVD drive. nothing. Just be careful and follow directions. If your not comfortable doing it. Dont.

Back