• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Improved Volt Modding Area Status Thread of Doom, now with a Lengthy Name

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

Yee olde status thread for the new improved voltmod section. Expect this post to have the most up to date information of any in the thread. This post is subject to change without notice. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law.

First sticky checked was "List sites for PCB Prototyping, Standards and Electrical data"
Its links are all good, no pictures are involved. There are new sites that could (will) go into the first post and it may be combined with another thread into Something Bigger, we'll see. For now, it's good.

Second sticky checked was "GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VOLT MOD - PENCIL MOD - HARD MOD FOUND!"
Its links and pics are good, as is the information. It is for a single board however, so having it as a sticky seems excessive given the age of P35. On the other hand it may be the more popularly posted in thread in the section lately. My vision (went to a conference. We were asked to talk about our vision of the future of blahblahblah. I hate that stuff.) is to have known voltmods have threads, and those threads compiled inside a single sticky. This obviously will be one of those threads, but I don't think it needs to be stuck by itself.

Third thread checked was: "The O/C Forums Volt Mod Database"
This'd be the thread in my vision, except the voltmods are on other sites. My vision includes this, but I'd like more that are on OUR site. I'll either edit this thread or junk it and start over.

Fourth thread: "Guide to the 7v Fan Mod"
Pics work, info is good. This sticky stays for the moment. I may edit in a bit of info as to what you're really "grounding" to with the 7v mod.

Fifth: "FANS FANS AND MORE FANS! Some Nifty Fan Mods Including a PMW fan controller."
Pics work, info is good. We have an easier to make PWM controller now though.

Sixth: "Electronics Toolkit :: Soldering,Accesories,Meters, Components and Stores"
Good info, it all works, could use more links and/or detail. May be included in a different, larger, sticky.

Seventh: "How voltage modding works. Can't find a voltage mod guide? Read here"
Great info. Dead pics. Dated references/examples (thread is from 2005). I'll update the pics and text relating to them, the rest will likely stay roughly as it is.

Eighth: "Tiny soldering - How I do it."
Great info. Dead picture links. I can make new pics for it though.
I may combine it with the Sixth thread.

Nineth: "The Cold Heat soldering iron."
Rather crucial information. Not sure if it's worth a sticky though.
Pics work.

Tenth: "-= Get Your Volt Mods Here! =-"
Was an excellent thread. First post's links are dead but for one, which leads to a voltmod on a very old bit of hardware.
This thread will probably simply be unstuck to vanish into the ether.

Anybody is welcome to post in this thread with their thoughts on this matter. They will be taken into consideration.

I haven't read all of the threads , but your assessment seems good.

The seventh thread looks to be a good one if the pictures were fixed. That guy put in a ton of work. Looks like he hasn't been active in a long time, but it would be good to keep it and be sure to give credit. I will read through some of the other threads as I have time. I am not an expert on this stuff by any means, but I can drag myself through it.

Yeah the seventh is probably the best of the lot, I've been taking a lot of pictures of my latest voltmod, I plan to shuffle them into his guide. I'll probably add a new intro that explains where the bulk of it came from, and leave his name attached to the post as well as given credit.

Part of the reason I like the seventh is that I was planning to write a guide like that. Dude saved me a ton of work :D

Now that Bobnova has retired from Benching leader, is he still able to oversee this area? It would be good, as long as he wants it.

Now that Bobnova has retired from Benching leader, is he still able to oversee this area? It would be good, as long as he wants it.

Volt-modding is BobN's illegitimate love-child in all but name, I bet he'll want to.

He also said he wasn't retiring from volt-modding in another thread lol.

I'm going with "sort of".
I keep a pretty constant eyeball on it, when I'm not out of town at least. I actively enjoy voltmodding questions, so that helps :p

As far as shuffling threads around, that power comes with being a Leader Type Person.

The real question is, why is this now in forum feedback? I presume that was an unintentional move?

Seems likely. I can't think of any reason for it to be here.

Eh, probably not. I'm not that active on rearranging things in this section.

Back