• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin miner rig/general gamer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice suggestion. It would appear there is evidence that the Raystorm does have less resistance to it. It also appears to be cheaper(assuming THIS is what you are referring to) which is always a +.

Nice suggestion. It would appear there is evidence that the Raystorm does have less resistance to it. It also appears to be cheaper(assuming THIS is what you are referring to) which is always a +.

There are 2 Raystorms, that one, and the all copper one for 100 dollars...I picked the all copper one because it was pretty...yea...I'm stupid...but I own that.

Performance wise they seem to benchmark nearly identical, with the all copper one getting like 0.1 degrees better temps, for like 35 dollars more...

Purely out of interest, one of the things keeping me from going 3way crossfire right away is the surprising lack of an 1155 3-4way sli/x-fire board. Do you know of any? I would like to do it all at once...possibly even 4 way xfire if I am feeling wealthy. I would need to figure out a larger PSU for that though. I am a huge fan of this board minus the crazy price, but I believe it has the wrong socket.

Yes, that's the wrong socket - that's LGA 2011, for Sandy Bridge-E CPUs.

The reason there aren't any 4-way boards out is because it will require a third party chip by either NVIDIA or PLX to get the proper amount of PCIe lanes. The Ivy Bridge CPUs only have 16x total lanes, which can be run at 16x for one GPU or 8x times two for two GPUs. The only board equipped as such off the top of my head is the ASUS P8Z77 WS (WS stands for workstation).

Most boards will only support two GPUs. Actually...I can't find any other boards looking around that do - other than the WS. The Maximus V Formula will be coming out sometime later but there is no release date yet. I'm not sure whether it will support more than two GPUs or not.

If you are dead set on three or four GPUs, you might want to consider going with LGA 2011 and a 3930K. You'll have many more choices of board to support all the GPUs you want to run.

Yeah, the socket restriction is the reason I am starting with 2 GPU's. I do like your suggestion of using 2cnd gen i7 chip and board. Seeing as bitcoin mining is almost 100% GPU based, this would appear to be the logical decision.

That being said, assuming I am going with the 2011 socket type, is the Rampage as good as it claims to be? I wish there were some release dates on some of the new ROP boards :(

Yes it is the wrong socket non of the REALLY high end boards for the z77 chipset have come out so you are going to have to wait for like the asus rog z77 board when ever that comes out.

The rampage boards are awesome (sorry for the double post btw when i hit the post button you all's response popped up guess i was late lol) any ways they rock BUT its like having a Ferrari and not using it to its full potential. Make sure your going to use the feature it offers or its just going to be extra $$$ that you have no need to spend when the toyota will do the same thing for you for less $$$

I do intend to advance myself as an OCer and this board is packed with features for making that easier.... I still just don't know where to take this build. I could always build it now with the duel SLI board that I originally intended to use, then buy a new board when they come out. I could always use the left over board on another project.

Back