• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 680 + XFX X58i (ch09) incompatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cronos1013

Registered
OK so after finally getting my 680's, I plugged them in only to find that there is a weird issue with THIS particular match between motherboard and newish Nvidia GPU's, (580's and later). In addition there is NO fix from XFX.

Here is my friendly XFX response.

As for the problem its likely having to do with the Audio controller within the GTX680, for whatever reason the HDMI audio chip on Nvidia cards causes these boards to hangup, unfortunately BIOS updates have ceased for this model board, which means it may not be fixed. There is odd workaround, if you have a low end cheap video card, and install it in the 2nd or 3rd PCI-E slot in the system, and have the Nvidia card in the primary slot, for some reason it seems to bypass the issue. - Erik

So this eliminates the ability to use this board with triple video cards...guess it's as good a time as any to upgrade out of my first gen i7 board. But that is at least a few paychecks away so I need to find a cheap video card to toss into my third slot...:bang head

OK for a quick update, I got home and tossed my old HD 5870 back into the machine (along with the new GTX 680) and the thing booted up in an instant...

Anyone happen to have an old crappy non-powered PCIe video card they'd sell me cheap so I don't have to power another power hungry GPU?

any update on this?

hello mate, i know is old thread but did you get sorted this problem?
i jst got couples days ago the same board and i have gtx650 with it and i have the same symptoms! board wont working with my triple chanel memory till i add any second card in to 2nd or 3th pci slot :bang head:bang head
xfx support txt me today that they didnt know about any probs with nvidia graphic cards :argue: :confused:
thx jiri

Thank you this worked for me too. There are actually 2 options. Do as said and place another graphics card into the 2nd / 3rd PCI-e or also you could run the system on only 1 DIMM ram stick.

Running on 1 stick brought it back up to speed without use of another graphics card but this is not enough ram for regular use these days.

Back