• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer; Restarted System, it Shut Off; Smells Bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adramelech

I just bought a new system and put it together myself. I had a bit of an issue, forgetting the standoffs, but I put 'em in, fired the system up and it was doing just fine. I installed Windows successfully, it rebooted a few times through the process. So far so good; all normal. After running it for about ~15min after install, I rebooted to see how fast it boots up on my new SSD. It shutdown, but it didn't turn back on. I tried turning it back on, nothing. I waited a few minutes, tried again, my cases LEDs flicked on for half a second and shut off again. I did have one of the side panels open still, although I doubt it would burn in ~25 minutes because of something like that.

Could you guys list me any cables and parts that if burnt/disconnected it will act like that? I know a few, could you guys add a few more, to help while I can be careful about what I do so I don't do more damage?

CPU and CPU cable both create results like that.

Also, if I get it booted, what software can I use to diagnose any abnormalities with most/all my parts at once? I know Core Temp will allow me to see CPU temperature, so I'll likely check that, but anything else to be checked?

I am personally afraid it was the mobo since I attached it without standoffs.

I am plugging it back in to test, but I'd like to know what to check ASAP so I don't do more damage.

Edit: Okay, it turned on. What do I need to check for now?
New Edit: It shut off after thirty seconds then rebooted imediately. That was without the GTX card, so there is no way an SSD and CPU was taking up that much energy from the PSU.

Find where the smell is coming from.. check the PSU first. Look for bulged caps and burned spots on the mobo etc.

I would first reinstall the mobo with the proper standoffs.
Then I would remove the CPU and reinstall it and its cooler.
I would do the same for the ram. We want new connections everywhere.

If it boots, once it is in windows fire up CPU and GPU temp sensing software and check the temps.

Bonus question: What PSU do you have?

EDIT:
I missed the smell. That is a far from good sign. If you're lucky it is the PSU and it hasn't killed anything else.

Find where the smell is coming from.. check the PSU first. Look for bulged caps and burned spots on the mobo etc.

It wasn't a particularly strong smell, so I am not sure if thermal paste makes a slight smell while melting on for the first time. The thermal paste still hasn't melted fully too, so I don't think the CPU over heated.

I also see nothing abnormal on the motherboard.

EDIT: Oh, and the PSU is a Rosewill HIVE 5 550w 80plus: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182131
Has tons of DoA comments. That worries me.

EDIT: My i7 7330 is currently hovering at 35c idle in my BIOS and the system temperature is 26c. Hasn't shut off in a decent amount of time in the BIOS.

Last edited:
thermal paste does not smell.

Rosewill? Yikes. Recently they started making a couple decent PSU's, most others are garbage. Not sure if the HIVE falls in that category though.

I would first reinstall the mobo with the proper standoffs.
Then I would remove the CPU and reinstall it and its cooler.
I would do the same for the ram. We want new connections everywhere.

If it boots, once it is in windows fire up CPU and GPU temp sensing software and check the temps.

Bonus question: What PSU do you have?

EDIT:
I missed the smell. That is a far from good sign. If you're lucky it is the PSU and it hasn't killed anything else.

I replaced everything over again, and it seems to be running fine. The BIOS held for a while at 35c CPU and 25-26c System. I have now booted into Windows, seems all right so far. However, I am using the integrated graphics card, not my 550 Ti, it is still removed.

A friend of mine agreed with me when I said a slight smell tends to be normal on new computers. So far no errors, hopefully replacing everything fixed it up nicely. I guess I will wait and see if anything new happens.

Anyone else find there is a slight smell in new computers that just started their first run?

If it smells kinda like sharpie then you have something failing on the PCB. And most likely it's in the PSU. If you have a voltmeter you can check the rails on the ATX pinout and see if it's providing enough juice.

Both the smell and the make and model of the PSU are telling me that it could be something with the PSU, I would be careful about running it when you're not sure what's wrong it with though, might be the difference between RMA and buying a new set of components. Especially if it's the PSU.

So what do you guys recommend I do to make sure everything is working properly? I might be able to get my hands on a voltmeter from someone, but what will this show?

What is the best way for me to go about testing everything to make sure nothing is flawed? It's been running for a while now; since I got it running and posted saying I had it running.

Dude, get a new PSU! A corsair or something. When a bad psu goes it can and often does take alot of stuff out with it. So if you weigh the cost of getting a new psu versus the cost of a whole new setup you will see that that is the way to go
Edit: then there will be no worries

New test; everything works perfectly fine until I hook up my GPU. I tried hooking up the cord that goes straight into my GPU from my PSU. PCI Express cord. When I plug it in and turn it on, it turns on for a second and stops. I also tried uses the GPU's PCI power plug to to standard 4 pin power plug and plug my PSU into that. Same result. If I wait for it after it quickly spins the first time, it'll do it again briefly, a little bit down the road.

If the PSU doesn't have enough wattage to support the hardware, will it just immediately shut down like that?

The PSU has been working perfectly fine when the GPU is not in, so I'd prefer not to buy a new card unless I absolutely must, since I don't even have the money, and it'll be a MASSIVE pain to get the funds required for a decent new one.

Reminds me earlier today.
When I finished my build, I plugged everything in the PSU, turned on... Was working nice.
Then I plugged the fans through a wrong PSU cable...
Haha when I turned it on it did a little "boom" some smoke I was so damn scared :lol:
But then I unplugged the Fans and plugged them directly to the Motherboard. Everything is fine.
An advice would be to unplug everything and to plug back ;)

If you plug the wrong stuff into the wrong place, pins are different for differnt plugs. You might of smoked the PSU pluging something wrong into the GPU, or smoked the PSU.

Your gonna have to dig deeper, buy stuff to Tshoot unless you have a trusted friend you don't mind buying smoked parts for.

Get a Corsair CX series PSU. They're the cheapest quality unit you can buy. If you don't just want cheap then it opens up your choices a bit.

Corsair CX Series

The power supply really is the LAST thing you want to cheap out on in your system. It has the potential to kill the rest of your components. Rosewill make a few nice computer cases, in general I wouldn't trust their PSU's. Even the ones that a top quality units, with Rosewill you just don't know if they're going to change their OEM at some point and you end up with a dodgy PSU.

Get a Corsair CX series PSU. They're the cheapest quality unit you can buy. If you don't just want cheap then it opens up your choices a bit.

Corsair CX Series

The power supply really is the LAST thing you want to cheap out on in your system. It has the potential to kill the rest of your components. Rosewill make a few nice computer cases, in general I wouldn't trust their PSU's. Even the ones that a top quality units, with Rosewill you just don't know if they're going to change their OEM at some point and you end up with a dodgy PSU.

OMG. I have NO clue how I missed that PSU when I was searching New Egg. I'll take a look at that; see what I can do.

Back