• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Pitched Whine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My rig below sometimes seems to have this tiny but high pitched whine something like having tinnitus in the ear, but constant than it stops and then it will start later on I am not sure it's its coming from the CPU fan but it's driving me absolutely crazy.

What could it be?, could it be my PSU or something from the motherboard?

Does it only show up when under load? Nvidia cards used to be famous for cap whine, which it could be.

also I had a PSU I bought off the forum that had it. Didnt even have to be on, just plugged in and it would whine.

Does it only show up when under load? Nvidia cards used to be famous for cap whine, which it could be.

also I had a PSU I bought off the forum that had it. Didnt even have to be on, just plugged in and it would whine.

At the moment I am using the INTEL on board GPU because my 7850 hasn't arrived until either tomorrow or Thursday (sorry forgot to put that) it just keeps coming and going when I am just surfing the net general stuff. I will try it with a game and see if it gets worse I have tried to Google about it and a few things I have found said it could be a capacitor on the board or my PSU is about to fail???

I would of thought my PSU would be fine for now even with my 7850 when its installed it's just until I can get my Akasa 750 modular PSU.

I've had a new Corsair VX450 that whined out of the box. I've also seen a few people complain about Corsair PSU squeaking like that.

I've had a new Corsair VX450 that whined out of the box. I've also seen a few people complain about Corsair PSU squeaking like that.

Would it be a serious problem my HD7850 just arrived today and I've installed that everything seems to be fine and recommended PSU requirement for the card is 500w or more. I'll soon have a Akasa 750 PSU soon hopefully by next week.

My GTX460 has been screaming along under load for quite a while now. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but it is pretty annoying.

Did you rock your case back and forth to see if the noise stops? because my PC used to do that, but for some reason, when I put little felt pads on its feet the noise stopped. I used to have to push on it to get it to stop, it was REALLY annoying in TF2.

My GTX460 has been screaming along under load for quite a while now. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but it is pretty annoying.

Its not a performance issue but is an annoyance one for sure.

If the problem exists even when PC is off... thats defintiely the psu. it is harder to notice then but can still be heard. have to physcially unplug teh PC and trip pus h the power button. If it stops then yup its the PSU.

It could be anything on the board finding hte caps that are doing is not easy.

AFAIK As jonas pointed out, dont think it is indicative of anything, would think maybe its a dirty electrical signal or anything as noise is nothing more than vibration... but it does not reduce life of the items doing it AFAIK. I do not know from experience as I isolated the problem devices and got rid of them.

Find it and sell it to a headphone gamer :)

Its not a performance issue but is an annoyance one for sure.

If the problem exists even when PC is off... thats defintiely the psu. it is harder to notice then but can still be heard. have to physcially unplug teh PC and trip pus h the power button. If it stops then yup its the PSU.

It could be anything on the board finding hte caps that are doing is not easy.

AFAIK As jonas pointed out, dont think it is indicative of anything, would think maybe its a dirty electrical signal or anything as noise is nothing more than vibration... but it does not reduce life of the items doing it AFAIK. I do not know from experience as I isolated the problem devices and got rid of them.

Find it and sell it to a headphone gamer :)
8D I need a new PSU for crossfire setup, and I'm a "Headphone Gamer"! I don't even actually have speakers hooked to my rig, and my fans are so loud and numerous that I wouldn't even hear that noise. However, I just looked @ the OP's Sig Rig and realized that his PSU is only 550 Watts... The same as my XFX PRO 550Watt core full wired... :\

Right long time on the reply but I've only just moved my case after opening the side up I could the whine noise and I think it's coming from the PSU, it's defo around that area it also sounds like it's the large fan as varies up and down like a motion sort of sound.

I've also been having issues with Diablo 3 constantly locking up currently reverting to 12.3 drivers see if that solves the issue, but I am ordering a new PSU a OCZ Fatality 750w Mod just to get the extra juice and hopefully no whine noise.

8D I need a new PSU for crossfire setup, and I'm a "Headphone Gamer"! I don't even actually have speakers hooked to my rig, and my fans are so loud and numerous that I wouldn't even hear that noise. However, I just looked @ the OP's Sig Rig and realized that his PSU is only 550 Watts... The same as my XFX PRO 550Watt core full wired... :\

Its a corsair vx550W though not some $30 550W unit_. I ran a 2600K on a 250W no name brand PSU with SSD, HDD but I did use the IGP not a dedicated card. No issues. I am not suggesting everyone do it, but it ran that for well over a month until I swapped it down to a 2500K. And hten ran for months on end with that.

I was running stock though... on the CPU (GPU clocked to 1100 ish)

Back at OP...

Speaking of $30 PSUs, I picked up a OCZ gamer X SLI refurb 700W from some retailer in here in the US. No issues with that either, but I wouldnt run it near its rated capacity.

Did you you try turning off the PC and see if the whine still persists? I picked up a cheap OCZ unit off the forums a while back, that as long as it was plugged in had that cap whine to it.

Its a corsair vx550W though not some $30 550W unit_. I ran a 2600K on a 250W no name brand PSU with SSD, HDD but I did use the IGP not a dedicated card. No issues. I am not suggesting everyone do it, but it ran that for well over a month until I swapped it down to a 2500K. And hten ran for months on end with that.

I was running stock though... on the CPU (GPU clocked to 1100 ish)

Back at OP...

Speaking of $30 PSUs, I picked up a OCZ gamer X SLI refurb 700W from some retailer in here in the US. No issues with that either, but I wouldnt run it near its rated capacity.

Did you you try turning off the PC and see if the whine still persists? I picked up a cheap OCZ unit off the forums a while back, that as long as it was plugged in had that cap whine to it.
EXCUSE me? Some $30 PSU? The XFX PRO Core edition 550 Watt Full Wired Power Supply is a SLIGHTLY downgraded version of XFX's TOP-QUALITY, well-known PRO line of Power Supplies. It is 80+ BRONZE RATED in efficiency, and is one of the few power supplies that is CERTIFIED by XFX to be 100% capable at all times of its Wattage rating, and NO LESS. This power supply cost me no less than Seventy-Five United States Dollars from Newegg. I'll give you $30 PSU...

Reminds me of PSU squealing, which was the case with a PowMax 300W LP-6100C and got rid of it because of that.

And the Asus A7V8X-X I used to have and gotten rid of it in 2007, likes to squeal when idle, especially in DOS, LOL.

I bought a OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU should arrive next week and hopefully it'll have be the cause plus the PC needs some extra space in the juice departments. I also bought a Crucial 128GB M4 SSD a Seagate 500GB SATA-III HDD and a Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler.

Back