Building a ZFS based SAN/NAS

Curious to see who here has built one based on ZFS. I have a spare Core2Duo(E8500) and a miniATX board with 4GB of DDR2 but from what I've been reading it does better with more RAM and I only have 2 slots. Would it be worth building the system up with a better motherboard and a bit more RAM, or would a single Xeon be more of a solid build(Thinking a rackmount version of a ML115)? Storage wise I'm probably looking at a 10 drive setup but still unsure what type of RAID I want to run. Mainly to be used for media/streaming but I do a bit of everything from render farms to terminal server storage.

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
    Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
    HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I know some people around here have ZFS NAS experience. This must have slipped by...
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    ZFS loves memory. If you can, go with a server level board and utilize ECC memory, just another "check and balance" if you will. I just picked up a x58board & 24Gb of RAM, and a Xeon E5504 ES off ebay.

Only reason I went x58 was that I already had the ram, and since it has tri-channel......

What OS are you planning on using? FreeNAS is probably the easiest but performance can be shoddy
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
    ZFS loves memory. If you can, go with a server level board and utilize ECC memory, just another "check and balance" if you will. I just picked up a x58board & 24Gb of RAM, and a Xeon E5504 ES off ebay.

Only reason I went x58 was that I already had the ram, and since it has tri-channel......

What OS are you planning on using? FreeNAS is probably the easiest but performance can be shoddy
    CentOS would be ideal OS wise. Not sure how well it would be performance wise when using zfs fuse. Is there a TB/RAM ratio I should look out for? There shouldn't be too much utilization right now, but within the next year or so there will be a lot more in terms of data transfer.

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
    Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
    HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus2k7 View Post
    CentOS would be ideal OS wise. Not sure how well it would be performance wise when using zfs fuse. Is there a TB/RAM ratio I should look out for? There shouldn't be too much utilization right now, but within the next year or so there will be a lot more in terms of data transfer.
    thideras will be along shortly, he's a CentOS guy. Yes and no, for your TB/RAM. There are numbers out there, but many/most of them are based on a corporate NAS. For what most of us do, overkill.

I added SSDs for ZIL logs, no difference for what I do. For enterprise NAS, I'm sure it would make a difference.
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/