Registered

Question about color of the wiring not matching fan wiring.

Hopefully this is the right forum for this post

This is the case I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156062 .

The question I have is am I wiring the fans up correctly? There only appears to be one way to do so but just want to check since the wiring color scheme doesn't match up. The fans in this case use a red and black wire 4 pin connecter. However, my PSU seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139021 will only connect to this with the red/black wire from the fan to the yellow/black wire (which leaves the red/black wire on the opposite side) on the 4 pin connector coming from the PSU. There are also two small 3 pin push on connectors (coming from two fans that come off of the 4 pin connector) that connect to the mother board with the same color wiring coming off of the 4 pin connector. However, as far as the color scheme goes it doesn't match up. I have attached a pic since this may sound confusing. lol

Since this seems to be the only way it will connect I assume this is correct. Is it? Thanks!
    Last edited by tech0925; 05-09-12 at 09:15 PM.

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Fans use the color red to designate the Power wire (whatever voltage it may be), Yellow for tachometer and black for ground.
    The PSU uses yellow for 12v, red for 5v, and black for ground.

The long and short of it is that your fan and PSU are wired correctly, as your fan wants to get 12 V from the PSU (yellow) into it's Power wire (red).
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

3. Thanks!

tech0925 (05-10-12)

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
    Fans use the color red to designate the Power wire (whatever voltage it may be), Yellow for tachometer and black for ground.

The long and short of it is that your fan and PSU are wired correctly, as your fan wants to get 12 V from the PSU (yellow) into it's Power wire (red).
    Awesome, thank you so much! I was worried about that

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post

1+