• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead GTX560 after OC attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mashem

Registered
Ok, I'll try to keep this short. I have two ASUS GTX560s (just got the second one) and wanted to run them in SLI. I successfully booted (after fixing a problem with my CPU cooler) and even switched to SLI in nVidia settings. However, I believe the ASUS overclock utility popped up and wanted to OC the CPU, which was fine by me. Next thing I know, it's testing my i5 2500k at 4.6GHz and my GPU at 1200MHz. Crashed. It seems as though it killed my original 560. My computer will only boot if the original gpu is in the 2nd pcie and the new gpu in the 1st pcie, but the GPUs will not work properly once Windows 7 loads (bad reso, device manager stating that device drivers reported a problem, etc). BIOS does detect both cards at x8, which is good.

With the original GPU plugged in by itself, the tower powers on. However, nothing happens. Fans are spinning, lights turn on, etc. Nothing shows up on my monitor, not even BIOS.

Anyway, my computer boots perfectly fine with the new card by itself in the 1st pcie slot.

Before I RMA this card, is there anyway to attempt undoing any bricks or dead GPUs without physically opening it up, potentially breaking warranty?

Thanks a lot OCF

Last edited:
Did you try redownloading drivers?

Oops, forgot to add important part. Also added it to original post.

With the original GPU plugged in by itself, the tower powers on. However, nothing happens. Fans are spinning, lights turn on, etc. Nothing shows up on my monitor, not even BIOS.

May have fried it during the test...if you plugged it in by itself and doesn't show anything on screen then it might be dead.

Was there any burnt smell? or anything that looks damaged on the card?

Try plugging it again on its own but this time using a different connection like an HDMI or DVI instead of what you used originally.

What if you have only the original card in the second PCI-E slot, does it boot/work?

Back