• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why aren't there watercooled PSUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power supplies have gotten much better. They've not only introduced the 120mm fan instead of the old 80's (reduced noise and increased airflow), but the efficiency gains are very big.
With a supposed 1000W draw from the wall, the old PSU's would waste 200+ watts of power as heat, being 80% or less efficient. Now with 92%+, they'd waste less than 80 watts as heat. That's a big gain.

With a die shrink comes a couple of advantages along for the ride with lower material costs.
Efficiency is increased for two reasons. There are shorter paths for electricity to travel since all the new (and smaller) components are closer together, but power usage MUST be lessened to stop "bleed through" of power...as components get smaller and closer, so their dielectric material between conductors is shrunk.
As Mort pointed out, cooling can get tougher because of heat per cm^3, but that will be worked out just as they always have worked to do so. They have people that do nothing but work on the die interface for cooling. Prescott had the same issues way back when. It will get better.

IMHO, water cooling a power supply is just as "useful" as water cooling your ram. It might make it cooler, but in the long run it causes losses to the rest of your system, and makes no noticeable gains (unless you simply must have zero super-quiet fans that barely run).

gotta love morts explainations--- are you a programmer or engineer bro:popcorn:

Little bit of both. I'm working on a BS in EE, probably gonna specialize in signals processing, but by night I am a self taught programmer (to pay the bills). More than anything, really, I believe that (as Richard Feynman so eloqutently put it), if you cannot explain something simply, then you do not understand it well enough, so whenever I teach myself something, be it a skill or anything else, I use that as the metric of my competence.

Mort is in his 3rd year of an EE degree methinks.

:chair: Looks like I have a new fan! ;)

Back