• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why aren't there watercooled PSUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
does your psu make that much noise? is it running that hot? I'd guess no for both questions. I would argue that it is the MOST dangerous item to WC and offers little return. you can even open up a PSU, change out the 120/140mm fan for something quieter/faster/louder/moar cmf... whatever.

Its not remotely needed. There are plenty of PSU's out now with either no fans, or fans that dont spin up until a certain load or temperature threshold is passed.

Wow. That's quite surprising. Is it just advancements in technology that keeps it so cool?
thats part of it, absolutely. Another part of it is the fact that power consumption of CPU, GPUs, etc, has seemingly peaked over the last couple years and the trend is the same or less power with faster parts.

thats part of it, absolutely. Another part of it is the fact that power consumption of CPU, GPUs, etc, has seemingly peaked over the last couple years and the trend is the same or less power with faster parts.

Yes - I've certainly noticed an emphasis on very power-efficient parts. Maybe due to this new "green" trend that's goin' on.

Eh, they dont do it to be green, they do it because a smaller core means more cores per wafer, and the smaller the core, the harder it is to cool a given parts power consumption. Look at how hot ivybridge runs compared to power used, if it burned power like the first gen i7s did, you would need a monster heatsinc for stock speeds. Pretty much any time a company does anything, just look for how itmakes them money, there is always an angle.

I mean, I don't really know, but I imagine that it's the hottest item in the PC, right? Would that not make sense?

What would make you think that? (sorry if that sounds snarky, it's not intended to...I just want to use the right approach in explaining it to you)

What would make you think that? (sorry if that sounds snarky, it's not intended to...I just want to use the right approach in explaining it to you)

Well, the most power flows through it, doesn't it (I imagine it does - it powers the entire thing)? Because of that, I logically assumed that it was the hottest. Obviously not :p

One good way to think about it (and this certainly isn't the reason, but it's a good way of ballparking) is power/volume. So for example: if your rig pulls 1000W, and that maxes your PSU, that whole thing is over about 3000 cubic centimeters. Your CPU pulls a lot less power than that, say 200W, but it's over a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller volume...something in the range of 1 cubic centimeter. or so.

The number of Watts/cm^3 isn't a great measure, but it's a good way to kinda visualize things and ballpark numbers...if you're interested in a scientific explanation, I can probably do that (time is short as of late)

Wow. That's quite surprising. Is it just advancements in technology that keeps it so cool?

Part of it is how they are making PSU's more efficient also. A lot of the heat is from the power that's wasted, While your PSU may be putting out 500 watts it may pull 600 watts from the wall. That extra 100 watts becomes heat. The more efficient the PSU the cooler t runs for the most part.

One good way to think about it (and this certainly isn't the reason, but it's a good way of ballparking) is power/volume. So for example: if your rig pulls 1000W, and that maxes your PSU, that whole thing is over about 3000 cubic centimeters. Your CPU pulls a lot less power than that, say 200W, but it's over a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller volume...something in the range of 1 cubic centimeter. or so.

The number of Watts/cm^3 isn't a great measure, but it's a good way to kinda visualize things and ballpark numbers...if you're interested in a scientific explanation, I can probably do that (time is short as of late)

gotta love morts explainations--- are you a programmer or engineer bro:popcorn:

Back