• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 - good enough for 5 GHz...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WebMaximus

Registered
I'm thinking about getting a 2700K with the goal to run it @ 5 GHz and have been thinking about a good cooler that will let me reach this speed but still with safe temps and found the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 interesting.

Anyone have this cooler and can tell me how good it performs?

Thanks in advance!

It's a low end pre-sealed WC solution that looks good on paper. It's made by another cmpany, and like the Corsair H70.

You want 5? Get a top air cooler and 5000 RPM fans in push pull, a great chip and mobo. Ohh and earplugs.

Spend $300 on WC, and still hope you have a great mobo and chip. And no need for earplugs.

Why do you need 5? Fun to read the magic, but numbers isn't the goal, it's the hobby of learning and spending weeks overclocking and learning.

2700k is 4 cores 8 threads, it burns a little hotter than 2500k

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 only has a 120 rad. will probably be enough if you have push/pull with GREAT fans... will be testing that system's upper limit!!! But if you want a packaged liquid cooling solution, you probably want the H100 instead.

H100 has 240 rad length, in push/pull configs, you can get the performance you need with minimal noise if you have decent fans. :)

Thanks for your input guys!

Like you say of course the numbers in themselves are not the goal, reason I would like to reach 5 GHz or at least very close to that is I'm using my PC as a pure gaming rig for MS Flight Simulator X and the performance you get in FSX is 99% about raw CPU power...the higher you can get the smoother ride you'll get in FSX.

I'm currently running an i7-920 @ 4.1 GHz using an Aquaduct 360 Mark III where I've also included my GTX 480 in the water loop so for me to justify the upgrade I would very much like to reach that magic number. Might also upgrade the GTX to a 580 since that one is running much cooler compared to the 480 as I understood it. Most probably my current Aquaduct 360 Mark III is far better than both the Antec 620 or 920 or Corsair's H100 but I like the idea of not having to buy a new waterblock or find some conversion kit for my current waterblock (cuplex XT di) and most of all I like the idea of not having the cooling solution outside my PC since that makes it very cumbersome whenever I want to move my PC.

As for choosing the H100 over a 620 or more probably a 920 isn't possible for me since my case doesn't have an opening in the top of the case. That's what I like with the 620/920, you mount them in the back of the case. After posting my question here I also found some reviews where they compared the 620/920 and the H100 (and also H80/H70) and some other coolers as well and the differences were not that big.

Last edited:
Yes, something like that is what I remember from the reviews I read where they compared the different coolers.

im runnign the 920 and would NOT use it for any serious overclcoking. get a nice air cooler. Cools better and runs quieter.

im runnign the 920 and would NOT use it for any serious overclcoking. get a nice air cooler. Cools better and runs quieter.

OK...interesting because most things I've heard and read about the 920 so far has been mainly good stuff. So are you saying it doesn't give you the temps you were hoping for and also makes a lot of noise?

What air cooler would you suggest then when my goal is to reach 5 GHz with a 2700K?

im using it on SB-e and usually my experience with hot setups.. has been loud air.

At least an air cooler AS loud as this crappy setup should be a better cooler;

All im saying. dunno what tests are done whatever.. at 4.5 GHz and full speed I was still hitting 70C. and it WAS LOUD AS HELL.

Rather have a fairly quiet large air cooler personally. I just dont have one for 2011 socket.

5 GHz wit ha 2700k?
megahalem with a single MS speed yateloon?

uh.. noctua down blower wit ha ubersilent 700 rpm fan?

Thanks for the info, will have a look at the air coolers you mention and try to find some more reviews. Strange you got those high temps already at 4.5 GHz because the way I understood it water is a far better "medium" to get rid of heat than air is.

It's a great medium to pull heat from the CPU. But at the radiator, you now have air and a small surface to radiate it back into the air. Back to the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

It's just too small a rad, probably not the best designed block etc.

That this cooling solution isn't the best one money can buy I don't doubt, however I like the idea with it's simplicity and not having to have a HUGE "cooling tower" inside my case which is always the case with air cooling so I'll give this a try I think and hopefully it will serve me well considering how many positive reviews I've read by now.

Thanks anyway for your input guys!

I get around 60C gaming-load and around 65C-70C Prime-load on my 2600K with an HR-02 and a single Sanyo Denki fan (at 5-7V). Honestly unless you're willing to go all-out with a custom cooling loop, you're not going to see stellar performance with one of the boxed water-cooler. Better just to go with a high-end air-cooler for around the same price or less. Socket 1155 chips will put out less heat than a socket 1366 CPU, but with sufficient overclocking and voltage they'll still crank out some heat (enough to stretch a 920 or H80 to its limits at any rate).

I think I'll go with the 920 and if it won't let me reach the o/c I want due to high temps I'll find some other solution.

I don't like air coolers since they are so big and also during summertime they don't cool that good when the room temperature often gets high.

I think I'll go with the 920 and if it won't let me reach the o/c I want due to high temps I'll find some other solution.

I don't like air coolers since they are so big and also during summertime they don't cool that good when the room temperature often gets high.

You'll have the same problem with the water cooler when the temps come up.

You can only get as cool as the air you're moving over the radiators.

The 620 is bad as sh*t ...
Sorry but I had it before.
Overclocked at 4.5Ghz w/ 1.25volts... 100 degres temp...
Took it back to MicroCenter and buy a Corsair H60 from them... Guess what?
4.5 Ghz at 1.3volts at 60 degrees C

The 620 is bad as sh*t ...
Sorry but I had it before.
Overclocked at 4.5Ghz w/ 1.25volts... 100 degres temp...
Took it back to MicroCenter and buy a Corsair H60 from them... Guess what?
4.5 Ghz at 1.3volts at 60 degrees C

This is objectively false about the 620. It sounds like you either got an unlucky bad sample or had an installation mishap.

As for the comments I see that always say "just buy a top end air cooler" in these threads: the top end air coolers might perform well, but they are absolutely obnoxious in size and take up way too much space. There is some value in having a cooler that doesn't do that, and is one of the best qualities of the sealed water cooling units; they leave lots of open space inside your case for air flow and ease of access. Plus, the 620 is a $50-$60 cooler which is still $30-$40 cheaper than you can find a Noctua monster.

Last edited:
Isnt the 620 and H60 essentially the same thing? Same sized rad, same FPI.. possibly different fans. Anyway, agree with a mounting issue as they are the same coolers. If they are different, it sure as hell isnt 20C difference. I discount that experience to mounting or a faulty 620.

Isnt the 620 and H60 essentially the same thing? Same sized rad, same FPI.. possibly different fans. Anyway, agree with a mounting issue as they are the same coolers. If they are different, it sure as hell isnt 20C difference. I discount that experience to mounting or a faulty 620.

I meant H80, not H60. Anyway, it's still in the same place as the 620

Back