• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I stop F@H taking up all my resources?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehYoyo

Pretty much the title.

I'm running an AMD Phenom II x4 840 Processor @ 3.2GHz (stock). All other hardware is in my sig.

ATM, F@H is using an average of about 90% of my CPU - something that I don't want for my computer. Is there a way to limit it? Can I reinstall w/ some sort of different settings?

I did the express install w/ SPM and GPU...can I please limit this?

Thanks.

What folding client are you using? Click on the "about" button if it has one.

I'll check into it.

In general you can make FAH less intrusive by turning off the gpu slot. The cpu at 90% or even 100% doesn't mean that you can't use the computer.

FAH yields to all other tasks, even low priority tasks like screensavers, in approximately 1/2 second. If you want to play a game or do something computationally intensive, just click on the "pause" button (this is in the V7 client). Then click on the "Fold" button when you're done with the game or task.

I use my computer all the time while it's folding, and barely can tell that it's even running FAH at all. That's what you want, generally. FAH is not a sprint, it's a marathon. You need to be comfortable with it.

I just followed the download link here.

I was actually surprised at the time (and this isn't just hindsight) as to how well my computer was actually running - will having max load on my PCU the entire time hurt my processor's life expectancy? I plan to do some overclocking this weekend...if I get to a stable overclock, will it damage my PCU even more? What about temps?

I have never had any piece of hardware fail as a result of 100% use. Using your processor at 100% will not lower its life expectancy. As a general rule of thumb, hardware becomes obsolete well before it will die from use or overclocking. Yes it will increase temperatures, keep it dusted out.

Folding does a great job of giving up processing power when you need to use your computer.

I have never had any piece of hardware fail as a result of 100% use. Using your processor at 100% will not lower its life expectancy. As a general rule of thumb, hardware becomes obsolete well before it will die from use or overclocking. Yes it will increase temperatures, keep it dusted out.

Folding does a great job of giving up processing power when you need to use your computer.

Judging by your Decennial banner, I'd say that's pretty well-based, then. :D

How often should I dust? (with compressed air, presumably)

Edit: Is there a better way to do F@H aside from...just folding?

Last edited:
I just followed the download link here.

I was actually surprised at the time (and this isn't just hindsight) as to how well my computer was actually running - will having max load on my PCU the entire time hurt my processor's life expectancy? I plan to do some overclocking this weekend...if I get to a stable overclock, will it damage my PCU even more? What about temps?

That sticky post is the "link to ALL links", so that doesn't help narrow it down. I recommend the V7 client for all beginning folders, due to it's ease of use, and the fact that that is the folding client of the future.

If you have a GUI interface, then you have the V7 client. If it's a text only console window, then you have one of the other clients.

Temperature is the concern - you don't want the system running above the limit that the manufacturer recommends - ever. That's true for the cpu, the gpu, the mobo -- everything. That's why all the overclocking guru's always stress effective cooling - you have to have it.

Below that Tmax temperature, your cpu and mobo can run 24/7 and will be fine. Oh, sometimes one will fail, but they fail because they have components that would have failed early, anyway.

GPU's are another matter, and in a grey area. They're not as well designed as your cpu and mobo, but many are close to it. Again, it's the temps that you have to watch out for with them. I don't like to see them overclocked for folding, unless they have some auxiliary cooling help - extra fans or water block set ups. Not really as well designed to handle the heat they generate, as I'd like.

It's odd, but true, that turning your computer on and off every day, is undoubtedly the most stressful thing you do to it. If you want to break a computer, turn it on and off dozens of time, every day. Leaving it run, at a good temperature, is far easier on it.

That sticky post is the "link to ALL links", so that doesn't help narrow it down. I recommend the V7 client for all beginning folders, due to it's ease of use, and the fact that that is the folding client of the future.

If you have a GUI interface, then you have the V7 client. If it's a text only console window, then you have one of the other clients.

Temperature is the concern - you don't want the system running above the limit that the manufacturer recommends - ever. That's true for the cpu, the gpu, the mobo -- everything. That's why all the overclocking guru's always stress effective cooling - you have to have it.

Below that Tmax temperature, your cpu and mobo can run 24/7 and will be fine. Oh, sometimes one will fail, but they fail because they have components that would have failed early, anyway.

GPU's are another matter, and in a grey area. They're not as well designed as your cpu and mobo, but many are close to it. Again, it's the temps that you have to watch out for with them. I don't like to see them overclocked for folding, unless they have some auxiliary cooling help - extra fans or water block set ups. Not really as well designed to handle the heat they generate, as I'd like.

It's odd, but true, that turning your computer on and off every day, is undoubtedly the most stressful thing you do to it. If you want to break a computer, turn it on and off dozens of time, every day. Leaving it run, at a good temperature, is far easier on it.

Hmm...interesting stuff. I don't hardcore OC, but I'm checking my temps atm to see what's up...wow (having just looked at my temps).

My CPU is up 35C of my average (45C, 25 below manufacturer max), My GPU is up about 40C (70C, 30 below manufacturer max), and my motherboard is about 30C up...can I limit this somehow?

Buying new cooling isn't really an option at the moment... :/

Edit: Where I downloaded:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Just look at your temps WHILE Folding. That will be the measurement to be watched. "Up 35C of your average 45C", isn't helpful. I don't have an "average 45C". :shrug:

Same with your GPU and the motherboard. What it's up by, doesn't matter. What it IS while folding, and the manufacturer's Tmax, is what matters.

It's when you get near the Tmax that you need to think about getting more effective cooling devices, not when you're 25 or 30 degrees below it.

If you have a reasonable concern about the temps being generated, I'd recommend not folding on the GPU. That will help cool down not only the GPU (obviously), but also the entire case will be somewhat cooler as well, since the card will not be radiating heat inside the case, nearly as much. And of course, don't overclock the system.

Overclocking is a hobby that is intimately tied to better than standard cooling devices.

Just look at your temps WHILE Folding. That will be the measurement to be watched. "Up 35C of your average 45C", isn't helpful. I don't have an "average 45C". :shrug:

Same with your GPU and the motherboard. What it's up by, doesn't matter. What it IS while folding, and the manufacturer's Tmax, is what matters.

It's when you get near the Tmax that you need to think about getting more effective cooling devices, not when you're 25 or 30 degrees below it.

If you have a reasonable concern about the temps being generated, I'd recommend not folding on the GPU. That will help cool down not only the GPU (obviously), but also the entire case will be somewhat cooler as well, since the card will not be radiating heat inside the case, nearly as much. And of course, don't overclock the system.

Overclocking is a hobby that is intimately tied to better than standard cooling devices.
Sorry about that.

Temps:
GPU - 70C. Maximum Temperature is 100C.
Processor - 45C. Maximum Temperature is 70C.
Motherboard - 52C. I couldn't find a max temperature (I have an MSI 870-G45), but MSI claims it's made of military-grade products and flaunts "Icy Chokes" which should keep it cool.

Sorry about that.

Temps:
GPU - 70C. Maximum Temperature is 100C.
Processor - 45C. Maximum Temperature is 70C.
Motherboard - 52C. I couldn't find a max temperature (I have an MSI 870-G45), but MSI claims it's made of military-grade products and flaunts "Icy Chokes" which should keep it cool.

IMO, your cpu temp is fine. I'm not familiar with either "military grade products", or "Icy Chokes". It is odd having the cpu folding, but the mobo temp is several degrees higher than the cpu! It's the other way around in every system I've seen.

The GPU looks good, but if the card reaches 75°C, I would take steps to get it more cool air. If it reaches 80°C, I'd stop it, until you have better cooling for it. At that temp, the card would begin to shorten it's usable lifespan (in all probability), and negatively impact the entire motherboard and cpu temps, as well.

These are just my opinions, and not based on any particular insight into your hardware. Just common sense from my experience using different cards and mobo.

IMO, your cpu temp is fine. I'm not familiar with either "military grade products", or "Icy Chokes". It is odd having the cpu folding, but the mobo temp is several degrees higher than the cpu! It's the other way around in every system I've seen.

The GPU looks good, but if the card reaches 75°C, I would take steps to get it more cool air. If it reaches 80°C, I'd stop it, until you have better cooling for it. At that temp, the card would begin to shorten it's usable lifespan (in all probability), and negatively impact the entire motherboard and cpu temps, as well.

These are just my opinions, and not based on any particular insight into your hardware. Just common sense from my experience using different cards and mobo.

Right. How do I disable the CPU or Video Card from folding?

Upper right hand corner, click on the mode button And select "Advanced" or "Expert". Then click on the slot you want to stop - which should be the gpu slot.

Now click on "Finish" and it will finish the current work unit, but not get another one, closing down that core, but allowing the cpu to continue - which I believe is what you want.

Upper right hand corner, click on the mode button And select "Advanced" or "Expert". Then click on the slot you want to stop - which should be the gpu slot.

Now click on "Finish" and it will finish the current work unit, but not get another one, closing down that core, but allowing the cpu to continue - which I believe is what you want.

Yup. Thanks a lot for the help.

Back