• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT&T U-Verse and 3rd party router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Just got U-Verse High Speed 10mbps/1mbps. However it came with a 2wire 3600HGV router/modem combo but I prefer my old apple airport + modem setup. I looked around the 2wire's GUI and it didn't have anything for Bridge Mode like other gateways I use to have. How are you setting up your U-verse to use standalone router?

I recently just got ATT uverse and I was given this wireless modem and I was wanting to know if I can just run a ethernet cable to a wireless n router for better wireless speeds since the 3600 is 802.11b/g wireless.

All you need to do, disable wireless on the modem, and put your router in the DMZ. This way, the modem will pass all traffic through to the router. Then you can use any added features your router may have. Connect a LAN port from your modem to the WAN on your router.

Makes sense. Will portforwarding work as normal too?

Makes sense. Will portforwarding work as normal too?

Yes, on the 3rd party router, you can use any normal functions or features in the router's firmware.

When you put a device on the dmz on the uverse router, it shares the wan IP with the uverse. Down side is you can only do this with one device. I was trying to put my work dmvpn router and a personal 3rd party router on the dmz, but it only allows for one :/

For uverse, the DMZ is a little different than most other units. You'll need to put the additional router in "DMZ+" mode. It's slightly different from a true DMZ mode, but it'll work just the same. Unless something has changed (switched to cable) you'll want to make sure the additional router is set into DHCP mode so it'll grab an IP address from the 2Wire gateway. Alternatively, you can set the 2Wire unit on a 10.x address scheme and keep the other router on 192.x to be able to access both units over the web interfaces.

For uverse, the DMZ is a little different than most other units. You'll need to put the additional router in "DMZ+" mode. It's slightly different from a true DMZ mode, but it'll work just the same. Unless something has changed (switched to cable) you'll want to make sure the additional router is set into DHCP mode so it'll grab an IP address from the 2Wire gateway. Alternatively, you can set the 2Wire unit on a 10.x address scheme and keep the other router on 192.x to be able to access both units over the web interfaces.

Yup, it runs the wan IP as a bridged interface, but the uverse router still is fully functional. Additionally, you can still plug in cable boxes on the Ethernet ports on the uverse router.

well my wireless messed went out on my same modem so i disable it and just plugged in my router and let the other router handle the wireless

Yup, it runs the wan IP as a bridged interface, but the uverse router still is fully functional. Additionally, you can still plug in cable boxes on the Ethernet ports on the uverse router.
If the residence's STB's were installed with coax instead of ethernet, you can even hook a system or console directly into the STB via ethernet for a connection. That's how we had the xbox 360 set up at my old house as it was in another room.

If the residence's STB's were installed with coax instead of ethernet, you can even hook a system or console directly into the STB via ethernet for a connection. That's how we had the xbox 360 set up at my old house as it was in another room.

LOL, that is how my Samsung DVD player is hooked up... Only thing I have been too lazy to find out, is if it needs a cross-over for connecting a 'computer' device (aka cheapo blu-ray player w/ what is most-likely a non-autosensing nic)... one of these days I'll stop being lazy and figure it out, but the updates on the player seem to take ages (could be the poo cpu running the thing though...). It would make sense to need a cross-over, or should I say, perform optimally over a cross-over, as those are supposed to hook into the switch-ports on the uverse gateway....

Just got U-Verse High Speed 10mbps/1mbps.

Your UVerse is the same thing as ADSL2. :(

Definitely don't look like VDSL!

I doubt that plan is better than FairPoint.
(FairPoint's probably still using old copper lines, because they took over Verizon's DSL in New England, in New Hampshire and probably Maine.) (Shame on AT&T)
(Where the downloads are low, but the upload is up to about 800 Kbps or higher.)
(Don't know if that helps a whole lot.)

I thought you should be getting 12+ Mb down for UVerse.
In fact, some with UVerse appear to be doing better than mine!

Last edited:
Back