• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will 1.44v Core degrade CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spud1972

Hi

I am after a pre-built gaming system and heard good things about Scan.

I'm looking at a few possibles, one of them being this (specs below) for £1600 (I know, alot for a gaming rig but ideally would like it to last)

On the comments section at bottom of review page some have warned that a 1.44v Core will degrade a CPU and so the system may not last long term.

Does this argument hold any weight ?

Thanks

Case : Corsair Obsidian 650D

PSU : Corsair TX 650 Modular

Motherboard : Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3.0

CPU : Intel Core i7 2700K @ 4.7Ghz

Memory : 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance RAM 1600Mhz

GPU : 2GB EVGA GTX 680, 1006Mhz GPU, 1536 Cores, 6000MHz
GDDR5

SSD : 120 GB Corsair Force 3

HDD : 2TB Seagate Barracuda, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache

CPU Cooler : Corsair H80 Hydro Water Cooler

Optical : LG BH10LS38 Blu-ray & DVD, Reader & Writer

Soundcard : Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card & Headphone Amplifier

OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 Operating System

Other : Back Up Software (Optional) Acronis® True Image Home 2012
HDD Backup & Restore Software

1.44V is a bit high for 24/7. If you will see degradation or not mainly depends from chip. Some are running fine @~1.45V and some not. More standard 2600/2700K can make 4.5GHz 1.30-1.35V and it's more than enough for games. You may also consider Ivy Bridge that should be able to make ~4.5GHz on air/water but clock to clock is faster than SB.
Good idea will be to get better cooling since you are planning to spend a lot of money anyway.

If you get top of the line water cooling then you could pull that off. I would still seriously consider undervolting it though. Especially if you plan on running that voltage all the time.

Back