FBI confiscates server, returns and powers up same server

I havent posted in GD for ages, trying to care less about this crazy world, and give the media less power over my life.

Came across this story, and it really got me thinking. If you company is based on servers, and you lose those servers due to a subpeona, you business is done until you get them back, or new servers. You are forced to break your contract with your customers etc. With little or no recourse im thinking. WOW, make sure you include that clause in your TOC.

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...edomain=usnews

I wonder if they will find anything "extra" on the returned server?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sir Terry Pratchett

OCForums Metal Club member#<your number>

Most likely there is at least one bug planted on the server. I would not be surprised if the FBI, in addition to normal monitoring software planted in the OS also planted spyware in the firmware of motherboard/HDD/NIC, ect.

Personally if i were admin of that server I would never use it again. I would sell it. Then use both an obvious camera and a hidden camera to watch the new server.
    "Beer is how we know God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin.
    Thermaltake Tsunami case, Q6600 CPU, XFX mobo, 500GB HDD, GTX 460 video card, Corsair 520HX PSU

Underwater Senior Member Diggrr's Avatar
    That wouldn't matter too much, I gather that AV programs give the Fed a back-door anyway.
    Rig1: C2D E8400 @3510 Ф Asus P5G41T-M-LX Plus mobo Ф 8 Gigs Ballistix DDR3 1333 Ф Asus GT520 Silent Ф 4 Deep Cool 92mm case fans Ф FSP 1U 460 Watt PSU
    External Watercooling: QP-320-Res w/Gentle Typhoon's and metal screen filters Ф Cooling modded MCP350 & MCP355 W/Swiftech white dual pump top Ф D-Tek Fuzion V2 Ф 1/4" Norprene tubing

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin

if they could do it all remotely through AV backdoors then the FBI would not have raided the server in the first place
    "Beer is how we know God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin.
    Thermaltake Tsunami case, Q6600 CPU, XFX mobo, 500GB HDD, GTX 460 video card, Corsair 520HX PSU

Underwater Senior Member Diggrr's Avatar
    IF the server wasn't behind a smooth-wall and was actually running an AV.
    Besides, the back door would only allow a warrant, they still have to obtain the physical evidence to prosecute, meaning they must have the server in hand.
    Rig1: C2D E8400 @3510 Ф Asus P5G41T-M-LX Plus mobo Ф 8 Gigs Ballistix DDR3 1333 Ф Asus GT520 Silent Ф 4 Deep Cool 92mm case fans Ф FSP 1U 460 Watt PSU
    External Watercooling: QP-320-Res w/Gentle Typhoon's and metal screen filters Ф Cooling modded MCP350 & MCP355 W/Swiftech white dual pump top Ф D-Tek Fuzion V2 Ф 1/4" Norprene tubing

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I still would replace that machine