• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my current PSU be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike Da Yooper

Hi! I have some new pc parts coming on Tuesday and I didn't think when I bought them that I may not have enough power. I am a longtime builder and I ususally just buy a much bigger power supply than I need to compensate for not really knowing how to add up voltages and stuff(I am TERRIBLE at math). I currently have an Apevia 650w psu, you can find it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

It is about 9 months old but its working great. I know many folks have had issues with Apevia but I've owned 3 of them now in the past like 4 or 5 years and they all have worked amazingly.

So anyway I am building a new mutt pc using parts from this old one. here is what my new pc will have inside:

Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.2ghz
RAM: 8gb(2x4gb) Gskill Ares
Video: Radeon HD 6950 2gb
HDD: 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Basically the only thing that I am changing is I am upgrading from an Athlon II X-4 635 2.9ghz to an FX-4170. I am also upgrading from 1333 ram to 1866 ram, same amount and brand and type though. Well the stuff I have is Ripjaws and the new stuff is Ares but other than that very close. Oh yeah and the mobo. My current one is a Gigabyte MA770t-UD3. You can find it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128451

So basically, will my current PSU be enough to power the new stuff? Also I had one more question. it is regarding the hard drive. I don't really know much about SATA and all that stuff, I just plug stuff in lol. Anyway upon looking I noticed that the new mobo I am buying as SATA 6gb/s and my hard drive is only 3gb/s. I am assuming that it will still work fine right? I mean its not like the hard drive is ever coming close to those speeds anyway no?

Yes, that is enough power, you could probably power that just fine with 500W. Also SATA drives are backwards and forwards compatibile. So that HDD should work fine.

*IF* that PSU can actually put out its rated power, you're fine.
Apevia has a rather bad (read: really lousy) reputation for exploding and killing hardware.

I would replace it at the earliest opportunity just on spec.

That said, your new CPU doesn't draw that much more than your old one, so if it was working before the odds are okish that it will continue to do so.

*IF* that PSU can actually put out its rated power, you're fine.
Apevia has a rather bad (read: really lousy) reputation for exploding and killing hardware.

I would replace it at the earliest opportunity just on spec.

That said, your new CPU doesn't draw that much more than your old one, so if it was working before the odds are okish that it will continue to do so.

I was thinking about that, but didn't put much thought into it because he said it works well.

Back