• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.Net problems win 7 x64 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I had an unstable oc and it caused a little corruption. I ran chkdsk and sfc. However after everything was fixed I'm still having some issues with .net 2 programs. I've replaced the mscorwks.dll file but it didn't solve the issue. Since .net 3.5 and below are incorporated into win 7 now I can't simply reinstall them. I've tried simply installing mono but there doesn't seem to be a good way to move the system from .net to mono. I hardly boot windows so it's not a problem but a minor nuisances I'd like to fix if I can.

Below is an example of the crash. I tried running the .netcleaner tool and that didn't yield any results either. I'm hoping someone else might have some better ideas.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: IAStorIcon.exe
Application Version: 10.6.0.1002
Application Timestamp: 4dd69f61
Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.5456
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ef6c72d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000e1bed
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

When I first overclocked back in the day, I damaged my registry. Every time I did it since then I Fubared the registry. I'm surprised why this didn't get talked about more often here but the only way around it for me was to drive image the OS partition before OC, get the max stable OC, then reimage back.

Application Name: IAStorIcon.exe = Intel Rapid Storage Technology console application. If you are not using IRST, you should be able to uninstall it and no longer have an error.

mscorwks.dll = can give many errors and is version dependent. The wrong location or wrong version can cause an issue.

I expect that RE-installing the operating system is going to be the fix in the long run.

When I first overclocked back in the day, I damaged my registry. Every time I did it since then I Fubared the registry. I'm surprised why this didn't get talked about more often here but the only way around it for me was to drive image the OS partition before OC, get the max stable OC, then reimage back.

What gets me is what seems to be stable in linux isn't always stable in windows. I'd run for over a week on that oc and voltage and had no problems in funtoo. However I booted into windows and it didn't like it. But yes imaging the drive is something I should have done. It again comes down to differences in windows vs linux. I use btrfs snapshots to keep images in linux, and just never thought to do images for windows.

Application Name: IAStorIcon.exe = Intel Rapid Storage Technology console application. If you are not using IRST, you should be able to uninstall it and no longer have an error.

mscorwks.dll = can give many errors and is version dependent. The wrong location or wrong version can cause an issue.

I expect that RE-installing the operating system is going to be the fix in the long run.

Well the error happens on many .net apps (apparently .net 2.0), this was just the one example. I can live with .net 2 applications not working, although I might do a repair install, if such a thing still exists in windows 7?

What gets me is what seems to be stable in linux isn't always stable in windows.

I don't subscribe to "feeling" whether an overclocked system is stable. Super Pi heavily loads the CPU, so the program can also be used as a quick stress-test: View attachment v1.4.zip

But really Prime95 is what we've always used to test the stability of the overclocked system.

To this day I don't know how people managed to overclock and not reinstall or reimage their OS partition after finding the stable OC. I never once overclocked w/o destroying Windows, never since Windows 9x. So Shelnutt2, I would reinstall Windows and get in the habit of first partitioning then frequently imaging/reimaging your OS partition to save yourself the need to reinstall the OS when something like this happens.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download the latest version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >

* Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK *

Number of torture test threads to run should be set to the number of CPU cores. However, Prime95 number of Torture Test threads should be 8 for the four core i7 CPU, not 4 like with the older CPUs.

The i7 runs hot. When running the Prime95 Torture Test for the old Athlon XP, alarm bells went off when the temperatures zoomed past 60° Celcius but I understand realistic OC threshold is now raised toward 90° for max stress when it comes to the i7 CPU.

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it may freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It is then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

For older processors, versions prior to v25 had the option of going to the Advanced section, setting the password to 9876 and then setting Priority to 10. (You weren't able to use your computer while Priority 10 Prime95 Torture Test was running, but it confirmed your system stability.) In version 25, priority options can be set by going to Test > Worker Windows...

3DMark used to test video card stability but now Furmark stresses the video cards much more.

@C6

This isn't my first time around the block, I know how to check if a oc is stable. I use mprime in linux, it's the cli equivalent of prime95.

The only lesson here is how microsoft sucks and linux rules! :comp:

Okay no, I know I should be imaging of my windows partition, it's really easy to do from linux anyway. I also should do stability testing inside windows before I assume it's stable.

Back