• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading pata to sata?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

One of my family bought a new hdd (sata 1tb caviar) and the current hdd is pata.

I seem to remember that the new drive will need a driver, but don't remember or never knew which driver to pull off the cd.
The booklet that came with the hdd mentions a needed driver for XP, but fails to say which.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Doc

For XP?

What board are we speaking of? Last time I checked, HDDs had no drivers, they were installed using an universal driver (disk.sys).

Maybe what you need is the SATA controller for the board? Anyway, tell us what board that is.

Gee i really don't know...It is an Asus socket 939 with a VIA chipset.. I built it about 5 years ago, and the IDE hdd filled up, but I'm pretty sure that it has one of the chipsets mentioned in the sata hdd install manual that would need a driver.

When we 1st installed XP, there is that brief time during the install when the OS says "press F6 to install a storage driver"..and with IDE, there is no need as the drivers are automatically loaded when the OS detects the IDE drive, so that driver was skipped during the original install.

What about slipstreaming the most common drivers inside the WinXP disc?

Try to read the numbers etched on the chip and google them.

Chances are the VIA chipset is a K8M800 or K8T800, or a K8T890.

Are you adding this new drive and keeping the PATA drive or are you replacing it with the new SATA disk?

If you are adding the new disk and leaving the PATA disk, you should just be able to plug it in, format it and you will be good to go.

Back