• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install Arch Linux on a UEFI motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is odd it says it can't open the device. Even if the drive is already partitioned, it shouldn't give that error. But, if you already have the drive partitioned, you can skip that step and go right to the "Manually configure block devices" option and continue as normal. Since you probably won't be wiping your boot partition, you will need to manually add the entry to fstab and configure your bootloader to go the right drive.

it seems like cfdisk don't reognize the partitions in the disk and i can't continue. so a message FATAL ERROR: annot open drive, prees any key to exit fdisk.

If the partitioner gives an error, you must wipe the drive and try again.

I would use GParted and wipe with nwipe.

Hi thideras, at least four attemps using 'manually configure blok devices' but the instalation fails again and again. so it seems like at ARch don't likes some installed at HD. So at this moment idon't want to wipe my disk, at least not today. The only posibility that i can see now is creating new gpt format... and i don't want to do that. :( As RJARRRPCGP said, is the the best possibility, but for tomorrow friday at night... But only for having Ach & Ubuntu.... ok its all for today... i'll be back later... Thank you to all.

What is the error it fails with? I see the error you were getting with cfdisk, but not the one assigning partitions.

@ Thideras. When starting the installation of thesystem files first sent failures of installation of files systems and almost immediately jump to a bash. So i think that not recognize the partitions in some way. A lot of thanks for your quick comment :)

I think you can check terminal 7 (ctrl + alt + f7) to see what the error is. If that doesn't help, check the logs (/var/log/messages.log).

Without knowing the exact error you are getting, I won't be able to help.

Always the same FATAL ERROR: cannot open drive, press any key to exit cfdisk. I tried to install partitioning from gparted. My HD was WIPED and the Archinstaller can't recognize the partitioning (including parted), inclusive without anything installed and cleaned HD. I tried to install Archbang too, but i can't booting. Same way was xubuntu, only fedora 17 was booting but didn't recognize the gpt partitioned. skiped the normal way and use the option "Manually configure block devices" and nothing. cfdisk didn't recognize any partition including that with any format. So i guess that the issue always was the installer and cfdisk. So many hours spent on that, finally i created a Msdos partitioned my HD and installed W7 & Ubuntu1210 very smoothly and for now i'm happy :) :) ... Thank you guys for all ¡¡

Hi thideras

I am trying too install Arch Linux on a UEFI system motherboard bust I am having trouble with that. I found your instruction and followed it but I got stuck when I got here:

Before we add the entry into the UEFI section of the motherboard, we need to make sure that we can see the EFI variables. Type "efibootmgr" and you should get no errors. It should list all the current boot devices. If you do not see this list or get an error, type "modprobe efivars" and try again. If that doesn't work, post here and we can help you sort out what is going on.

My problem is that I can not use bcfg command and UEFI Shell 1.0 does not support bcfg command and my system does not support UEFI shell 2.0. So because of this I had to try "efibootmgr" on wiki but I did not get far and do not know how to fix this. what should I do? I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

Thank You

My board did not have bcfg neither, though I didn't install Tiano shell, I used Arch Linux UEFI disc to boot to a shell. You don't need bcfg, actually. Type the absolute path to grubx64.efi and it should run it.

I think the problem is that his motherboard can't run UEFI 2.0. I have no experience with the earlier version nor do I have access to a machine that does. Not sure how much help I'll be here.

No, I have not. I don't have a system that I'm willing to try this on. I need my desktop and laptop to be working all of the time.

I know this is totally necro, but I just wanted to say a hearty THANK YOU for posting the uefi shell file. SourceForge has been down for I dont know how long, and I ran into a situation where I was in need of the UEFI shell. It came down to scouring the web for one, but not knowing who to trust

You saved one of my installs. THANKS

I know this is totally necro, but I just wanted to say a hearty THANK YOU for posting the uefi shell file. SourceForge has been down for I dont know how long, and I ran into a situation where I was in need of the UEFI shell. It came down to scouring the web for one, but not knowing who to trust

You saved one of my installs. THANKS
No problem at all, glad I could help out. I know I had to look around to find those files, too. :thup:

Back