• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k or 3750k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

farhad24

hi guys
i know it might be kind of repeated question around
but my case is a bit different ...
the prices are a bit crazy in my country so i just wanted to know if it worth for me to go for ivy bridge or not
i've also heard a bit about heat issues on ivy bridge chips. since i dont have a Top_end cooling ( i have nirvana 120) and my case is definitly a piece of crap ,i am really confused about ivy bridge ! please help me
prices are as below and there is no way i can import something .

2500k : 220 $
3750k : 270$
Asrock z68 Extreme 3 (gen3) : 155 $
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 : 210 $

I have a pair of 6870 so i need at least x8x8 for crossfire. the other options like native USB3 isn't that important to me.
yet another question? is it a good idea to use the z68 for 3570 ? can i overclock the processor on z68 chip?

I think you would be perfectly happy with the 2500k and the z68 board. Maybe something has changed in the last week but I think the non-z77 asrock boards were having issues with ivy bridge, may just want to check that if you decide to go ib.

I am running both and unless you want 3.0 spec PCIe you really don't need IB. If I did not have to have the 3.0 for the occasional Videcard work or motherboard reviews I would not have it.

I think the best setup would be SB on the z77.

Now other than overclocking (heat) the IB is best in many ways and with a good z77 it is the way to go.

Yea. You might as well pump out $20 for the 3570. I was getting the 2550k but then the 3570 came out, and I can get it considerabally cheaper. 2550k = $245 vs 3570k for $190 from microcenter!

Yea. You might as well pump out $20 for the 3570. I was getting the 2550k but then the 3570 came out, and I can get it considerabally cheaper. 2550k = $245 vs 3570k for $190 from microcenter!

You check Micro Center at the right times and you can find some great deals.

if it makes a difference to you. I was in this same position.

I went with the Z77 board and the 2500K. I couldn't be happier. I upgraded from an X58 i7 930. My 2500k easily does 4.5ghz. My max load temps haven't exceeded 67. That's with a small cooler too. The Noctua U9B SE2 is not the best air cooler around.. But it's what I wanted. And does it's job damn well.

I'm content and happy I stuck with the 2500K.

And if you do plan to over clock; like you said you don't have the best cooling/airflow. So I'd stick with the 2500K. =).

If your overclocking then I'd say go with whichever is cheaper. As for the board I own an Extreme 3 Gen 3 and I love it but I'd go 77 now just because you don't have to deal with a bios update if you want to go IB later.

If your overclocking then I'd say go with whichever is cheaper. As for the board I own an Extreme 3 Gen 3 and I love it but I'd go 77 now just because you don't have to deal with a bios update if you want to go IB later.

Z68s will be able to run IB with a BIOS update in the future?

Many already can. If you get a gen 3 board there are already bios updates to allow them to support IB. The only issue you may run into is if the board comes with an older bios that doesn't support the IB processor out of the box then you may have "fun" updating the bios. Some systems have software built in allowing you to update a MB's bios without a supported processor in it others require a proper processor and you may need to borrow or get your hands on a cheap SB processor just to update the bios to allow IB.

I know the Extreme 3 Gen 3 can support IB if it has bios 2.10 or later (2.10 is the latest btw).

Back