• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Overclocktagon. Benchmarking Throwdowns!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys...

Since we've had a bit of renewed interest in this concept.. I wanted to start a thread specifically for it.

Evidently there was something similar in the past... But that thread has long since died. (And requires benching lounge access.) Besides... I wanna do something a bit more organized.

The concept is simple. 2 (or more) Overclockers... Battling it out in predetermined benchmarks with predetermined hardware to see who the king of OC is!

The kicker... Stakes. So far we've done winner chooses the losers avatar for a week. I'm sure there's other options we could explore also.

This thread will be used to issue challenges, sort out details, summarize the outcomes, and keep track of who has defeated who using what hardware.

So lets have some fun!!! Throw out some challenges and see who has the cajones to enter the Overclocktagon!

Here's how things have played out so far...

Individual Competiton Results:

----- Challenger ----- | ----- Opponent ----- | ----- Victor ----- | ----- Hardware / Challenge -----
Convicted1 |I.M.O.G. |I.M.O.G. |Pentium 641
keny | PenguinsPal | keny | Phenom ii 960T
keny | xsuperbgx | Keny | Sempron 145
keny | jaymz9350 | keny | Athlon 3000+

Ohio vs. Missouri vs. California TPP Weekend (Q4 2012)

Place Holder till I can get this fixed.

Results and Information from the OCF Socket 939 Challenge (Q4 2012):

CPU
Socket 939 Athlon 64 3200

TIME FRAME
October 27th to November 3rd 2012

Rules:
Ambient Cooling Only
Background Image Must be Used
HWBot Rules Apply
CPU-Z Validation File Required for CPU-Z Max Frequency Bench

BENCHES
UCBench2011
wPrime 32
CPU-Z Highest Frequency

----- Point Scoring ----- | ----- Awarded Per Bench -----
1st | 5 Points
2nd | 4 Points
3rd | 3 Points
4th | 2 Points
5th | 1 Point

Competition Stage Results and Points Awarded:

CPU-Z Max Frequency Stage

----- Competitor ----- | ----- Score ----- | ----- Points Awarded -----
Tech Tweaker | 3135.17 MHz | 5 Points
ssjwizard | 3067.61 MHz | 4 Points
keny | 3056 MHz | 3 Points
jaymz9350 | 3028.95 | 2 Points

wPrime 32M Stage

Tech Tweaker | 53.049 Seconds | 5 Points
keny | 53.594 Seconds | 4 Points
ssjwizard | 57.109 Seconds | 3 Points
jaymz9350 | 58.968 Seconds | 2 Points

UCBench2011 Stage

keny | 97.0MPT | 5 Points
Tech Tweaker | 90.6MPT | 4 Points
ssjwizard | 73.1MPT | 3 Points

Overall Competition Results Table:

----- Competitor ----- | ----- Points Awarded -----
Tech Tweaker | 14 POINTS and WINNER
keny | 12 POINTS
ssjwizard | 10 POINTS
jaymz9350 | 4 POINTS (Only 2 Benches Completed)
llConsolell | CPU KIA
xSuperbgx | Competitor AWOL

Last edited:
A table might help with organization of the chart. Feel free to copy mine. :)

Challenger | Opponent | Victor | Hardware
Convicted1|I.M.O.G.|I.M.O.G.|Pentium 641
Keny|PenguinsPal|Keny|Unknown

There definitely was a benching octagon in the past, but it faded as you mentioned. Matt linked to it, and I won the very first one. Thanks for bringing it back!

IMHO, good idea putting it in public too. :thup:

Was going to say, I have had my *** handed to me at least one in the already established Octagon.....Stupid Hokie... :p

Would love to see this back!!

How did PenguinsPal even have a chance if keny was benching keny :confused:

Also, public is good, I don't know why the other thread wasn't.

I'm good with bringing back the other thread if thats what people wanna do... My plan though was to start new and keep track of all the throw downs in the first post.

A table might help with organization of the chart. Feel free to copy mine. :)

Challenger | Opponent | Victor | Hardware
Convicted1|I.M.O.G.|I.M.O.G.|Pentium 641
Keny|PenguinsPal|Keny|Unknown

There definitely was a benching octagon in the past, but it faded as you mentioned. Matt linked to it, and I won the very first one. Thanks for bringing it back!

IMHO, good idea putting it in public too. :thup:

Thanks for the help with the table! I searched Youtube to try to figure out how to do it, but nothing came up.

Yep.. Wanted to put this in public so the guys on the fence about joining the benching team could either get involved... Or watch along to see the fun we have.

Last edited:
This one being public is different enough. I thought the other was public too... :facepalm:

Any chance one of you guys with a bit more VB experience can help make the table look a little better somehow?

It'd be nice if it were a bit more "spaced out".

You can put dashes around the headers if you want.

----- Challenger -----|----- Opponent -----|----- Victor -----|----- Hardware-----
Convicted1 | I.M.O.G. | I.M.O.G. | Pentium 641
Keny | PenguinsPal | Keny | Unknown

You can change the starting tag [oldtable] to
to add a light blue background color to the top row.

After that, you can also put color tags around the dashes using hex code #4D617C to make the dashes invisible.

Last edited:
I love this idea of bringing it back and updating to a new thread, it keeps people benching when all there hardware has been submitted to the bot, rather than sticking it in the drawer and forgetting about it ( by the way penguins and I benched the 960T) :thup:

I challenge dolk to a "Not benching when I really should be" battle!

Actually I really wish I had something to bench, but all I've got is some socket A gear (that I need to sell to opty and that I've had nothing but trouble with already) and I'm not willing to spend anything on new hardware. :(

Maybe I'll bench my laptop some day.

I will throw one down for anyone who feels like a battle, how about AM3 sempys 140 or 145 whatever you have? Any 2D benches of your'e liking on AIR:attn:

I'll throw a few down also...

First... Any and all takers for an efficiency showdown. Intel 2600K... @ 4.5GHz + or - 50MHz. SuperPi 32M. Anybody with a 2600K should be able to do those clock speeds.

I'll also throw down a Core 2 Duo challenge to any taker... Subzero Only. BUT... I may need a minute to aquire a chip if I don't have the one you wanna throw down on.

One final challenge for now.... i7 980X. SubZero or Air... Doesn't matter to me... But I need the motivation to bench this chip.

First... Any and all takers for an efficiency showdown. Intel 2600K... @ 4.5GHz + or - 50MHz. SuperPi 32M. Anybody with a 2600K should be able to do those clock speeds.

You're doomed. After the chimp challenge. Right now my 2600k has a Glorious Duty to attend to.

Back