• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filesharing on one NIC, internet on another?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok right now my main rig is still down and the temp rig just isn't fast enough to transcode media for streaming to the PS3 my wife's rig is though. So the issue is Ive got over 1TB of movies that my kiddo watches daily. Since I don't have any 10/100/1000 switches on hand Ive settled for a cat 6 crossover cable at this time. Ok so the real question is, I want to do file sharing from nic to nic via the crossover cable(works if I turn off my wifi) and have my internet traffic run through my wifi adapter. The OS is win 7 ultimate.

Let me see if I understand you right.

You have one computer that you want to share files from.

You have to transcode on this computer to play the media elsewhere. (on the XBOX?)

I present to you the WD TV Live:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

This can be used on the network, or by directly connecting a USB drive to it. No transcoding from other machines is necessary. Plays 1080p videos perfectly. I have 5 of these running off of 1 Video Server (Currently has 15TB+ of content).

Well that's all good and wonderful except that I have an existing setup that streams to any 2 of 5 devices at a time in my home. My desktop is currently connected to the internet VIA wifi BUT the PS3 is about 40 ft away and my wifes rig is ~18" away. So CAT6 crossover cable I already have is going to be the solution. Just need to figure out how to ensure that file sharing takes place over the Ethernet. Don't want to be busying up my wifi with silly file streaming.

Ew, seriously - buy a switch.

There is/was such a thing in windows as internet connection sharing, but I really wouldn't want to do it the way you describe. I believe you would need to custom setup (wizard) the wifi connection to enable it in newer windows.

Does your router not have multiple ports? You should be able to stream over 100Mb.

Well the reason I dont want to buy a switch for this install is that its completely temporary. Once I get a new mobo Ill be back on the FX8120 and this arrangement goes away.

ps3mediaserver

This post was completely without substance. I clearly stated that I am already using PS3MS to transcode the video and stream it. That is not even related to the question TBH.

Back