• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86+ 5.00 Beta available !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any chance that it might give false detections? I am getting errors on test 10 at 100%, it appears to be the very end of the full test in the last moments. I got 16 errors with 1t setting and atfer changing to 2t got 130. Never had any errors show up in previous memtest or pre windows memory checker. They are running at rated timings except for the 1t which pases 4.02 Memtest.

Test 10 passes now but latest version hangs on test 11 showing errors at same address and just keeps doing it until escape. Registered at that site but might be awhile before I can post there.

Attachments

• Memtest.jpg
    Memtest.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Confirmed on a second AMD Phenom x4 system, similar mobo with the 880g chipset I built for my son.

The long-awaited Memtest86+ 5 is finally here !

For those interested v 5.00 is apparently out........I heard/seen release info before but because there wasn't anything posted on the "Official" forum i didn't post it.......

A member of the "Offical Memtest86+ Forum" (DJ_DaMS) posted that their is a Reviewer Kit for Intel Haswell available for download from CPUID which happens to contain Memtest86+ 5.00

CPUID has this to say about the kits contents:
The new Intel micro-architecture, codenamed "Haswell" is arriving soon, and in order to make the tests of that new CPU as complete as possible, we created a small compilation of the tools mostly used by hardware reviewers, with the latest versions provided by their author.

Readme from the download:

The long-awaited Memtest86+ 5 is finally here !

For reviewers, here are some tips :

- Press F1 at startup to enable "Safe Mode". Could be useful if you're reviewing an A-Step HSW or an early engineering-sample of a GT3e-enabled CPU.

- Press F2 to toggle the experimental SMT support in case of any problem. SMT is disabled by default on all Xeon/Opteron and any Engineering Sample CPU. You can press F2 to force SMT, but nothing guaranteed !

- [Hidden Mode] Press F3 to enable an alternative way to detect SMT. Only useful on Gigabyte Motherboard at this time.

Note about SMT : our internal tests showed that SMT only speed up the tests but DO NOT help in finding more errors.

Memtest86+ V5.00 changelog
----------------------------

- Added support for up to 2 TB of RAM on X64 CPUs
- Added experimental SMT support up to 32 cores
- Added complete detection for memory controllers.
- Added Motherboard Manufacturer & Model reporting
- Added CPU temperature monitoring
- Added enhanced Fail Safe Mode (Press F1 at startup)
- Added support for Intel "Sandy Bridge-E" CPUs
- Added support for Intel "Ivy Bridge" CPUs
- Added support for Intel "Haswell" CPUs
- Added support for Intel "Haswell-ULT" CPUs
- Added support for AMD "Kabini" (K16) CPUs
- Added support for AMD "Bulldozer" CPUs
- Added support for AMD "Trinity" CPUs
- Added support for AMD E-/C-/G-/Z- "Bobcat" CPUs
- Added support for Intel Atom "Pineview" CPUs
- Added support for Intel Atom "Cedar Trail" CPUs
- Added SPD detection on most AMD Chipsets
- Enforced Coreboot support
- Optimized run time for faster memory error detection
- Rewriten lots of memory timings detection code
- Corrected bugs, bugs and more bugs

:popcorn:

Update

Latest news directly from the developer:

I know the delay for v5.00 is quite long. But I need to make some clarifications about Memtest86+ :

1. Memtest86+ was, is and will *ALWAYS* be a free, GPL software. This is important, especially since the original Memtest is now handled by a commercial company. Remember Redhat ? I really hope Passmark will not go that way, but who knows ?

2. Reliability is my #1 concern. False positive sucks. Really. Passmark added some really nice code to memtest86 in the past months, but their lack of beta-testing is really a massive issue. Memtest86 up to 4.3 was heavily bugged with a lot of bugs generating false positives. I don't want that for Memtest86+. That's why I have a massive pool of betatesters and nearly always existing hardware. Those tests need time. A lot of time. But that's mandatory. Memtest86+ 4.20 is still working as expected WITHOUT false positive issues. SMT features is a nice eye-candy feature, but it doesn't really improve the tool and generate a lot of potential issues. I did my own balance according to the betatesters.

3. Memtest86+ 5.01 is frozen, packaged and under betatesting. The 2+ years delay from 4.00 to 5.00 comes from big changes in the core structure that needed to be checked carefully. As soon as the 5.xx line will be released, updates will be MUCH faster.

Good to finally hear something. :thup:

Last edited:
Back