• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project Thief - Dual Watercooled Rigs - 3930K, 990x, 5 gpus, 8 ssds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright time to swap those cpus - out with the 920:

VzW2eh.jpg

And in with the 990x:

IusH3h.jpg

Close it up:

XIqgKh.jpg

Mount the CPU block and add the g3/8 adapters - luckily the 5Noz has a very wide port spacing:

jEYbbh.jpg

Which means you can mount the high flow VL4N quick disconnects - unfortunately they are g 3/8 and don't come with right angle options, so I have to have adapters both ends and then a g1/4 female to female before I can add in the 90 degree rotary fitting:

ntHsOh.jpg

Here we are with the old GPUs mounted too:

32S5Dh.jpg

And here's how it will look as this will be the reverse ATX side:

GswCxh.jpg

Now it's time to repurpose that clown board:

CrIyeh.jpg

And done til the case comes:

PNA0Gh.jpg

Second update of the day - sleeving came in:

m1IyZh.jpg

Always interesting to see stamps from a foreign land ;) And of course the obligatory nils drawing

VCvPJh.jpg

The results from the last survery were clear:

67dBxh.jpg

So now I made them with real sleeve (24 pin left and 8 + 6 pin right) (only one row of course) (photographed outside under cloud, the background is the pedestal back plate which is powdercoated the same color as all internal parts):

J1GNyh.jpg

IKTFhh.jpg

VEyf0h.jpg

0c2h2h.jpg

8Fum1h.jpg

AnOqyh.jpg

YvDsBh.jpg

ZrIvsh.jpg

bXPxCh.jpg

I'm leaning towards D or F. However there's one last complication there is red or the "x" color that is basically a deep red-brown kind of color. As far as I can tell, the x looks better when next to white, the red otherwise:

khTish.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Thanks to everyone - results are in:

piJ35.jpg

So now we can eliminate the less popular and simulate these with the motherboard tray - yes it's a walk off! Jeppzer's suggestion is now also included:

imager.php

Option C

NfxVXh.jpg

Option D

9MMYfh.jpg

Option G

bnu5sh.jpg

Option Jeppzer

lKg6mh.jpg

Let me know what you think - and please keep it to these four only!

On a side note - I'm excited to be sponsored by Monsoon Free because they just released their sexy new rotaries:

this_is_my_boomstick.jpg

Can't wait to use them!

Alright - another diversion to clean up the odds and ends - well I got some packages to help with that:

wpvZbh.jpg

Inside a box..... is another box:

KtwTTh.jpg

And inside - the opposite of a CaseLabs case - cheap design, cheap steel, cheap manufacturing:

lV8EKh.jpg

Despite knowing how badly the edges were finished I still managed to cut myself!

C5jVzh.jpg

Mounting the old workstation board:

Yuslqh.jpg

Now let's see what's come in from the egg:

2iiy5h.jpg

The PSU for that mATX build I did (those photos were slightly out of order), another ssd (because 7 isn't enough) and a cheapo gpu for the 4u case:

YMQsDh.jpg

Passive GPU is passive, crappy sas card is crappy:

6XoAPh.jpg

Got those straight to straight sata cables too:

P3rt8h.jpg

Alright so that's about 3 months of updates all in one day lol. Updates will come much more slowly now that we've caught up :)

Very smexy build. . .

On a side note, started to run a tally in my head and holy bajesus you have some cash tied into that machine.

Can't wait to see it 100% completed but so far I really like what I see.

The TX10 case makes my MM look like a tinker toy.

Very smexy build. . .

On a side note, started to run a tally in my head and holy bajesus you have some cash tied into that machine.

Can't wait to see it 100% completed but so far I really like what I see.

The TX10 case makes my MM look like a tinker toy.

Lol yeah I do. Yeah it's a real monster - I think it's 2x the volume of the largest MM case.

So Primochill came through on delivering me the replacement tube. They also sent some extras in order to sponsor the build and I guess future builds because there are multiple colors:

KoJynh.jpg

two dual gigabit cards came in for the network upgrades:

bXbcmh.jpg

Fitted one to this box:

CYyvJ.jpg

Then mounted that box in our rack in the office:

dQS3wh.jpg

Thought you might like to see our main server - it's a supermicro barebones 4u box that's capable of fitting two gulftown xeons, however we only have one hex cpu fitted right now:

bj0y5h.jpg

You can see they built a plastic shroud around the ram and cpu to force the air through the heatsinks. Anyway back to the real project. Sanded down another radiator:

Z9etuh.jpg

Masked it up:

FiKSlh.jpg

Ready to go:

Wxx8Dh.jpg

Primed:

6gxM0h.jpg

While I've been busy working on this, my sponsors have been busy with new products. Detroit Thermo has come out with a new block called the "sniper", it's a tiny bit more restrictive but is supposed to have better temps:

IMG_1851__97689_zoom.JPG

I'm hoping to do an apples to apples comparison with the rasa/raystorm/ek hf supreme/5Noz/Sniper :)

Also Monsoon Free came out with some sexy new rotary fittings:

this_is_my_boomstick.jpg

Including a special version with optional end plugs:

Yes the other version has Light Ports that let you install several different types of plugs. An LED plug that has super bright 15 degree LED's that make your tube glow sort of like a fiber optic cable or neon tube. A temp probe plug. A shorty version of the silver bullets, and of course our standard Monsoon plug. The plugs are available in all 10 Monsoon colors. The Light Port Rotaries will sell for a buck or two more depending on where resellers price them.

Actually the LED plugs don't come in the two color form shown below, but you get the idea.

monsoon_light_port.JPG

Excited to use these, but it gives me more decisions to make as to which color to use lol.

Quick update on my project:

While I was procrastinating sleeving/custom wire harnesses for the power supply I figured I'd work on getting the radiators up and running for the gaming rig - I mounted the AP16s to the 140mm adapters:

RQZnLh.jpg

Then got ready to resolder and sleve:

GC5Xph.jpg

First time sleeving so did a pretty uneven job:

Txzmgh.jpg

Decided to move that to the back side of the radiator and now that I had my system down, did a much better job on the front side:

lNrDTh.jpg

Both sides done, but still awaitng fan headers:

j3x8uh.jpg

Mounted back in the case:

FkeXVh.jpg

u from london then mate? ( was guessing from the battersea reference :p) if you dont mind me asking how much is this setting you back?

If you ever need a spare hand give me a shout, :D although i might end up drooling over you computer parts!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

also very jealous of you braided cables, Ive been trying to make and account for MDPC for ages but i just cant, every time i logg on it says the shop is closed. Grrrr ended up going with premade extensions, also due to a lack of time with work

Holy mother of all builds... :chair:

You must have a lot of free time :)

Lol well the build started being planned and purchased in december, so it's been slow progress (in other words I still get work done and haven't got fired yet :rofl:)

That build is just..sick, and i do mean that in a good way lol :drool:

:thup:

u from london then mate? ( was guessing from the battersea reference :p) if you dont mind me asking how much is this setting you back?

If you ever need a spare hand give me a shout, :D although i might end up drooling over you computer parts!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

also very jealous of you braided cables, Ive been trying to make and account for MDPC for ages but i just cant, every time i logg on it says the shop is closed. Grrrr ended up going with premade extensions, also due to a lack of time with work

Hey xander - not these days - I live in southern california now, but I grew up in the cotswolds and my sister lives in London so I go visit now and again.

As for cost, if you bought everything new the cost would be 12-15K, but I got a bunch 2nd hand, my boss bought me some of my workstation parts and some parts are sponsored too. So it all helps :)

Yeah MDPC can be a pain - you can only register when the store is open, it took me about 3 weeks of attempts to complete registering and place my order lol. Amazed there is still so little competition given that Nils is semi-retired.

Lol well the build started being planned and purchased in december, so it's been slow progress (in other words I still get work done and haven't got fired yet :rofl:)

:thup:

Hey xander - not these days - I live in southern california now, but I grew up in the cotswolds and my sister lives in London so I go visit now and again.

As for cost, if you bought everything new the cost would be 12-15K, but I got a bunch 2nd hand, my boss bought me some of my workstation parts and some parts are sponsored too. So it all helps :)

Yeah MDPC can be a pain - you can only register when the store is open, it took me about 3 weeks of attempts to complete registering and place my order lol. Amazed there is still so little competition given that Nils is semi-retired.

ah thanks mate, but ignore my PM about London based workshops ;)

It seems like im one lucky sod, just registered at mdpc without any problems, had to go see what that was about....im deffo getting some of that sleeving :-D

omg omg i tried and it worked! going to get the sleeving kit in a few months. At the moment i forked out £30 on presleeved extensions. But i think this will have to be done sometimes in the future! I'm very excited now. Its renewed my want to do it myself. I am going to have to just put a whole weekend aside to do it! ( my gf is NOT going to be happy with me :p hehe)

^ i don't get what's so special about this sleeving????

As a business man it makes me want to buy a few 5000' rolls and start reselling this myself. if this guy is so overbooked and busy that = more businesses enter the market for sleeving. I even have many many many spare feet of wire and could start making my own sleeved extensions. any1? thoughts?

PS: Stren your build is AMAZING! mad props to you bro. +7 billion! (+1 just doesn't cover it)

It seems like im one lucky sod, just registered at mdpc without any problems, had to go see what that was about....im deffo getting some of that sleeving :-D

Awesome :)

omg omg i tried and it worked! going to get the sleeving kit in a few months. At the moment i forked out £30 on presleeved extensions. But i think this will have to be done sometimes in the future! I'm very excited now. Its renewed my want to do it myself. I am going to have to just put a whole weekend aside to do it! ( my gf is NOT going to be happy with me :p hehe)

Yeah mixing up the colors is the best part - it's slow and tedious to do, but it's always worthwhile!

^ i don't get what's so special about this sleeving????

As a business man it makes me want to buy a few 5000' rolls and start reselling this myself. if this guy is so overbooked and busy that = more businesses enter the market for sleeving. I even have many many many spare feet of wire and could start making my own sleeved extensions. any1? thoughts?

PS: Stren your build is AMAZING! mad props to you bro. +7 billion! (+1 just doesn't cover it)

Thanks - as for mdpc - there are alternatives - but no one has the same quality and colors as Nils does. If you could find out his sources I'm sure you could make a killing!

Anyway here's another udpate:

Been slow on the updates because work has been kicking my behind. Anyway the 580 3gb cards came in. I know some of you may say why not get 680's (or even 670's), well these were a lot cheaper (awesome 2nd hand deal) and will perform plenty well enough to max out 2560x1600 @ 60Hz. With my 480's I never had a problem running out of processing power, but I did run out of vram, so I think these will be plenty until I upgrade the monitors ;) Once I upgrade then I'm sure I can justify a few GK110s ;)

TnubOh.jpg

As you can see two of the backplates are 480 ones:

uyMF1h.jpg

So I had to switch the cards around so that the 580 one was at the bottom of the stack. I had to take them apart anyway to check for nickel problems and gunk. I'd be more concerned if I wasn't suspecting that I'll change GPUs again before the build is finished. Here they are rearranged and plugged in:

W39TNh.jpg

The 120 radiator is for the motherboard only loop:

qwrqNh.jpg

I'm still working out how to route the tubing for optimal performance without making it look like a mess - should I come out the side or go out the top?

DvvKhh.jpg

0qGtVh.jpg

Although the board has two loops on it, it will really look like it has three as there will be a 560 rad in between the cpu and gpu:

DFfXOh.jpg

Motherboard loop routed with temporary fittings - I thought this would look better. I don't really like the way it looks - too busy and crowded, I need to work out a way to keep the tube out the way more. Maybe a memory block would help:

cO5ARh.jpg

Wow....just wow. This is about the most over-the-top build I've ever seen; and that's saying a lot! Subscribed. :D

Back