• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project Thief - Dual Watercooled Rigs - 3930K, 990x, 5 gpus, 8 ssds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol!

Another update:

Finished up the gtx 560 - here are some pics. Getting ready to start:

a7CTYh.jpg

Chopping some heatshrink:

bKajMh.jpg

2 fans done - ignore the yellow wire - I'm not actually hooking up the tach wire to the 12V, I just reused the yellow wire for the 12V line:

4tU7kh.jpg

One thing I learned is that you don't have to join the wires all in the same place, in fact it's easier and less bulky if you join the 12V wires at one point, the 0V wires at another point and do the sleeving join at another point. This way you don't get one big lump. So don't do it like this is what I'm saying:

Q1uGth.jpg

One side done - you can see the difference between the lumpy connection on the 3rd and 4th fan from the left, and the cleaner one on the 2nd/3rd:

HBKy4h.jpg

Now we have to move those fans on to the other (push) side of the radiator. So we have to add the 140mm adapters to the other side of the fan, and remove the adapters from the original side:

zqmDDh.jpg

All done with that side, now let's go do the same thing again for the pull side:

1rjwCh.jpg

Attaching the fans for the pull side:

qYpvOh.jpg

Nearly done - but the last piece of sleeve pulled out of the heatshrink:

n0tmIh.jpg

Replaced that section and all done:

zIdiYh.jpg

Installed - as you might be able to see, the section above with the low speed yates/HDDs still needs to be done:

NJ2p3h.jpg

As you can see there's still a ton to do in the bottom compartment:

3o31vh.jpg

This side that's open right now will house the ex560 that's currently being used for testing waterblocks, and the gtx 360 that I'm going to go wire up and sleeve right now :)

I have some ideas for lighting too that I'm going to test out also :)

i like to use the heatshrink with adhesive in it, its a little more expensive but the sleeve never slips out, its also a b**ch to take off without messing up the sleeve though

Did a quick edit on the photos from yesterday's competition prize that came in:

co4qRh.jpg

9ENveh.jpg

KUlumh.jpg

1jyk0h.jpg

3N0uYh.jpg

dOcLch.jpg

lA9zDh.jpg

VSLAwh.jpg

QS6cRh.jpg

More to come later of it going in...

Some of the pics from the last week's adventures:

Fitted the sniper to the 990x and installed some of the samsung superOC ram. Corsair promised to sponsor me some ram, but it never showed up and after 3 months of my emails being ignored I've officially given up on them :rolleyes:

ClPXZh.jpg

I want to make a custom waterblock for the RAM anyway, but that's still a gleam in my eye right now :thumb: Time to get to leak testing on the motherboard loop:

ziSOqh.jpg

After leak testing got done, I swapped the painted fan for one that worked and installed the motherboard tray into the *empty* chamber.

BFLy9h.jpg

I need to swap out the circuit board from the broken GT fan for a good one and then swap back in the painted one. Now it's time to start hooking everything back up:

3I9xzh.jpg

Plugged in the PSU cables, but the PSU is not yet there:

VZ7xJh.jpg

The sleeving is the stuff that came with the evga psu, that will be replaced with mdpc-x later:

XJMWvh.jpg

Finally with a PSU:

n7HNOh.jpg

Those extra 6 pin headers are annoying but the nice thing is that most of the PSU cables can be flipped so you can hide some of the extra unwarted parts by plugging them in the other way round :)

3eK9yh.jpg

Tidying up a bit:

8b3vbh.jpg

There's still so much to be done, and so much of this is still temporary e.g. fittings/sleeve/loop layout etc etc. But for now I'm just glad to be finally getting this rig up and working after 8 months!

Another update - big one too!

So this is where we were last time - gaming rig trying to get up and working in a temporary state. Main loop not yet connected:

O9qO1h.jpg

To finish the main loop we needed to connect the EK400 reservoir with the custom 1" NPT tap to the Iwaki RD-30 pump. First we need to build a T section for the drain port:

tKfImh.jpg

These are standard schedule 40 pieces of PVC that I'm gluing together. I took a T junction and two 1/2" NPT reducers as well as a piece of 1" grey electrical conduit for making the 90 degree turn:

fwUqwh.jpg

This is all based on amuseme's idea except that I'm using 1" pipe instead of 0.75" and I connect to the pump slightly differently. So now we have to connect to the pump:

2641hh.jpg

So we take a 5/8" brass barb from your local hardware store and tape it up with teflon tape:

wxyXwh.jpg

1/2" tube can be warmed up and stretched over the barb. The idea is that the barb lines up right next to the 5/8" input to the Iwaki giving less restriction to the input feed of the RD30 unlike regular 1/2" tube would. I also added a 2nd barb for the drain tube. This reservoir coupled with the 1" pipe means there is a lot of water that needs draining easily:

TQcVqh.jpg

Both barbs in:

GnRHDh.jpg

Now let's hook up the pump:

WOSxhh.jpg

Add some worm clamps so that nothing flies free when you turn the pump up to 29V:

PnZOWh.jpg

Now let's add the drain tube, the tube color is temporary for now:

wxxn4h.jpg

Add the drain port:

8DNGfh.jpg

Add a worm clamp and we're done for now:

fV3tkh.jpg

Now it's time to put it in the case. As the reservoir was temporarily mounted we need to fix it first. There's a convenient metal plate in the case that you can unscrew and drill holes in:

aqokjh.jpg

Now let's reinstall that in the case:

M2lPih.jpg

And done:

pKIsph.jpg

The reservoir is fed by two drain ports. When feeding a larger amount of water it's useful to have one for water coming in and another for air coming out:

GFFdgh.jpg

Now here's the Iwaki Plus feed tube situated in the base. The cardboard box will be replaced with anti-vibration gel soon enough:

lVzWYh.jpg

Here you see the gap between the Iwaki feeding tube and the tapped base of the EK reservoir:

M9vBzh.jpg

I cut a piece of schedule 40 tube to size to glue in here:

JeTZgh.jpg

Later I will paint all of the tubes so it doesn't look so bad :p The cardboard box doesn't quite raise the Iwaki high enough so we'll need to swap that out:

fnOUrh.jpg

But here it is fully connected:

04WIch.jpg

And here's the whole side of the gaming case in it's temporary state:

MK6Jah.jpg

Now we can add the 360 radiator back in quickly (30 seconds) due to the Koolance quick disconnect fittings and the CaseLabs side mount design:

fVrEeh.jpg

I can't fit a 480 in because of the placement of the radiator and the feed tube. I may move it later, but for now this works. So it's time to fill up with water:

NhHTWh.jpg

Great progress! I'm impressed with the pump. Not sure if I've ever actually seen someone use an Iwaki. Kudos!

May god have mercy on our souls. Truly jealous.

:p

Great progress! I'm impressed with the pump. Not sure if I've ever actually seen someone use an Iwaki. Kudos!

Haha yeah they are few and far between, most cases can't really fit one inside because you need a huge reservoir to feed it. So it's normally crazy external setups lol

Well time for a bit of an update! A big thanks to Corsair for sponsoring the build :)

6XkBDh.jpg

My original dominators (same part number) came in a much more boring box than this one:

GlLH6h.jpg

9etFMh.jpg

SWnUsh.jpg

And if you're wondering just how small those overclockable low profile sammy dimms are:

vADomh.jpg

dPgWgh.jpg

TyACHh.jpg

Everytime you post a pic of something as awesome as that to a third-party service that might go down instead of to OCF's own system, god kills a kitten.

Do it for the kittens. Upload the pics to OCF's own system.

Everytime you post a pic of something as awesome as that to a third-party service that might go down instead of to OCF's own system, god kills a kitten.

Do it for the kittens. Upload the pics to OCF's own system.

I post to many different forums so this makes it a lot easier for me. Imgur is *usually* pretty reliable. And at least it's not photobucket lol.

BTW just wanted to add that I started a facebook page so that if you're into that kind of thing you can keep updated on my reviews and other stuff!

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeRigs

Last edited:
Morpheus from OCN stopped by and gave me some fan splitters which come in very useful for the quick disconnect of the radiators. Each radiator has two 3 pin headers that come from each side. This little PCB is then attached to the backplate of the pedestal:

fkyN9h.jpg

One for each side of the case. The distance between the two is conveniently sized to feed from a single molex

LggQ2h.jpg

I also got done painting the 24V Power supply for the Iwaki pump. I don't think I showed a pic of it before, but it looked like a very beat up version of this:

4743lnl_20.jpeg

Except that the mesh part was painted black on mine and had been worn off over time.

So I thought I'd paint the whole thing red and then mod a PSU support from the bottom heat chamber so that it can be mounted next to a fan from the HDD rack. I also need to hook up a relay so that it only turns on when the computer is on. Here are the pieces after painting and clear coating:

QkvCEh.jpg

With the PSU back in and the heatsinks retimmed:

LdOfSh.jpg

All sealed up:

gik8hQ.jpg

BkJUPh.jpg

W20Aih.jpg

That's it for now. Now that I have my windows PC up and running I can finally get sketch-up back and running and start playing with ideas for custom blocks and reservoirs!

Don't forget to like my facebook (www.facebook.com/extremerigs) if you want previews of updates, giveaways and also my watercooling reviews (17 cpu block roundup in progress)!

Well this looks incredible. Can you tell us what the final costs were for this thing? I mean I know the build is obviously sponsored, but I'm curious to see if you could buy another BMW to match the one in your driveway for the price of this build haha

This thread has so much win it is unbelievable.

Very nice sir.....very nice.

:D

Well this looks incredible. Can you tell us what the final costs were for this thing? I mean I know the build is obviously sponsored, but I'm curious to see if you could buy another BMW to match the one in your driveway for the price of this build haha

Haha yeah it's not quite as expensive as the bimmer..... yet :cry:

Wow.... Seriously. You win. :shock:

:D

11/20/2012

Well it's been a while - I was busy working on my new website, the CaseLabs Merlin Preview, Spotswood Tech Station Review, the EK X3 Reservoir Preview, figuring out my new Nikon D5100 as well as finishing off the CPU Water Block roundup. I need a break but I'm almost done with all of that! Anyway - to celebrate not being fired yet I thought I'd work (finally) on the waterfall reservoir. This was originally inspired by Cyberdruid, however as he's retired I figured I'd have to make my own, and I suppose that's more fun anyway. I knew I would need a few attempts at this to get it right so I figured I'd make the prototypes out of MDF as it's cheap and easy to work with. So I went to the hardware and picked up a small board of MDF:

hfFKjh.jpg

Dragged out my lonely tablesaw from the shed and got to work. I cut some 3x 3" strips of the 4ft side of the board:

Xw4efh.jpg

I then measured the height of the 18 bays in the case and made the cut on one strip:

AkHA3h.jpg

Then I test fitted in the case which meant undressing the drive bays!

WWvWgh.jpg

Alright let's take that cover off:

peTI3h.jpg

Well that was fast, ok, drive bays next:

hOBQYh.jpg

Resting the wood on the bottom of the drive bay gives me this much clearance which is about perfect:

kmUjDh.jpg

So I cut the other side to the same size. Then measured and cut the top piece:

mm1dQh.jpg

It's ok for both these pieces to be flush because they'll be some kind of joinery action going down. For now I'm thinking a finger joint. Maintaining strength while being able to knock it out on the table saw. I then cut a matching piece for the base so that all the frame pieces were cut:

7Bohwh.jpg

I then started cutting the pieces that would form the waterfall itself:

llg43h.jpg

Seven down:

9cChwh.jpg

Tablesaws make this quick. All done, sitting on the uncut acrylic sheet that will make up the front and back:

ljMFEh.jpg

That's it for now!

It was raining a good bit this week so I didn't work on that, instead I put some painted parts back together. I reassembled the rotors into the housing:

jvcbWh.jpg

The paint was standard automotive stuff and came out quite nicely the red is metallic:

8jgMoh.jpg

So it was time to sleeve:

bYbAkh.jpg

I started with the push fans and mounted them on the pull side of the radiator so that the spacing would be correct. Most of the time sleeving these is really spent soldering wire extensions on:

YvX6lh.jpg

Slow progress:

wgfOyh.jpg

Done with the first set of 3:

FI9cbh.jpg

Mounted the push fans on the push side:

jA50eh.jpg

Now it's time to work on the pull fans:

ssBAjh.jpg

Ran out of red wire so I used yellow:

J70bmh.jpg

Done with the pull side:

ddVvnh.jpg

Now it's time to join both sets of three into one. This is the 360 that will be replaced with the painted one:

iRkAgh.jpg

All put together on the push side:

IpSECh.jpg

And the pull side - which will need some custom stickers to pretty it up:

5hFC7h.jpg

I also sleeved a matching fan to go on the motherboard tray:

32QYCh.jpg

And there it is running:

wyyorh.jpg

:thumb:

Back