Registered

One more question about Asus M5A88-V Evo Motherboard Fans

Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it?

Quote Originally Posted by tech0925 View Post
    Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it?

The one that says PWR_FAN just supplies power to a single fan, I believe it runs at 100% though and does not vary it's speed according to temp, but there is one near the back that says CHA_FAN that will vary speed according to CPU temp. As for damage caused to anything, I wouldn't be able to tell you, but if everything still works then I would assume no damage has been done. Whatever you do though, don't try and connect any of your PSU's connectors directly to the PWR_FAN or CHA_FAN plug. I'm pretty sure you can throw either your PSU, mobo, or both in the trash if you do that.
    ......BULLDOZER-|-NOTBULLDOZER
    .FX-4100 CPU i5-4670K
    ASUS Sabretooth 990FX MOBO ASRock Z97 Extreme 6..
    CM Hyper 212+ COOLER CM Hyper 212+
    ...ASUS HD 6850 GPU XFX HD 7850 DD
    .PNY Optima 1333MHz RAM ADATA XPG 1866MHz
    .................Antec 300 CASE Corsair Graphite 600T
    120GB Samsung 830 SSD 120GB Samsung 830
    500GB Seagate SSHD SSHD...............................
    500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD 3TB Seagate NAS............
    GS600 PSU CX500

3. Thanks!

tech0925 (05-17-12)

Registered
    LOL, thanks!

Registered
    I have an off topic question you may be able to answer as well. If I have two HDD's and I have windows 7 installed on one, can I install Mac snow leopard OS on the other? Would there be any conflicts in doing this?

The reason I ask is because I am a web designer and it would be nice to have both OS on one machine
    Last edited by tech0925; 05-17-12 at 09:46 PM.
    RAIDMAX SMILODON Mid Tower Case
    Lite-On 24X iHAS124 DVD Drive
    Corsair TX 750W PSU
    Asus M5A88-V Evo MOBO
    AMD FX eight core processor
    Rocketfish Heat Sink CPU Fan
    16GB (4x4GB) PNY Optima DDR3 1333MHz Ram
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM High Performance HDD
    1.5TB Segate Barracuda 5900RPM HDD

I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.
    ......BULLDOZER-|-NOTBULLDOZER
    .FX-4100 CPU i5-4670K
    ASUS Sabretooth 990FX MOBO ASRock Z97 Extreme 6..
    CM Hyper 212+ COOLER CM Hyper 212+
    ...ASUS HD 6850 GPU XFX HD 7850 DD
    .PNY Optima 1333MHz RAM ADATA XPG 1866MHz
    .................Antec 300 CASE Corsair Graphite 600T
    120GB Samsung 830 SSD 120GB Samsung 830
    500GB Seagate SSHD SSHD...............................
    500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD 3TB Seagate NAS............
    GS600 PSU CX500

Quote Originally Posted by Aldakoopa View Post
    I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.
    Yes, you will definitely need to do this. If you don't do this it will mess up your boot sector.
    CPU: i7 2600k@4.6 ghz
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe b3
    Cooler: Swiftech H320
    RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
    Case: NZXT Source 530
    PSU: OCZ 750W
    Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldakoopa View Post
    I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it...
    Shouldn't you be able to install as a dual-boot without messing around at the hardware level? I know you can install Win7 and WinXP and format only the partition where it installs, leaving all other partitions and drives alone. I did it installing WinXP to a second drive after I had installed Win7.

The only thing is the default boot sector became WinXP's so I had to use a utility called Open BSD to let me select which to boot.

But then... I know nothing of SnowLeopard, it may just be totally selfish and assume the whole computer is it's own and format all available drives and partitions to suit itself.
    FX6300 @ 4.5gig, 1.44v
    CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
    8G PNY/Kingston 1600@2000, 9/11/10
    Asus M5a88-m
    GigaByte HD7770@1100/1300