• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One more question about Asus M5A88-V Evo Motherboard Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech0925

Registered
Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL :screwy: By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it? :shrug:

Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL :screwy: By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it? :shrug:

The one that says PWR_FAN just supplies power to a single fan, I believe it runs at 100% though and does not vary it's speed according to temp, but there is one near the back that says CHA_FAN that will vary speed according to CPU temp. As for damage caused to anything, I wouldn't be able to tell you, but if everything still works then I would assume no damage has been done. Whatever you do though, don't try and connect any of your PSU's connectors directly to the PWR_FAN or CHA_FAN plug. I'm pretty sure you can throw either your PSU, mobo, or both in the trash if you do that.

I have an off topic question you may be able to answer as well. If I have two HDD's and I have windows 7 installed on one, can I install Mac snow leopard OS on the other? Would there be any conflicts in doing this?

The reason I ask is because I am a web designer and it would be nice to have both OS on one machine :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.

I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.

Yes, you will definitely need to do this. If you don't do this it will mess up your boot sector.

I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it...

Shouldn't you be able to install as a dual-boot without messing around at the hardware level? I know you can install Win7 and WinXP and format only the partition where it installs, leaving all other partitions and drives alone. I did it installing WinXP to a second drive after I had installed Win7.

The only thing is the default boot sector became WinXP's so I had to use a utility called Open BSD to let me select which to boot.

But then... I know nothing of SnowLeopard, it may just be totally selfish and assume the whole computer is it's own and format all available drives and partitions to suit itself.

Back