• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3570K at 4 Ghz and the truth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Pretty mixed opinion.

What i learned at running Prime95 for 15 min inside a SFF:

The good:
-It does run stable even at 105 C/4GHz, it could handle the clock easely

The bad:
-Even without overvolt** a 200 Mhz increase does increase the heat output by 20 C, i was shocked. At 3.4 Ghz, it does run at a maximum value of 85 C, still very very hot, a worse CPU as far as the heat is concerned. At 105 C it does throttle. Intel didnt need to tell us that because i found out its throttle meter after 15 min of Prime testing.

**apparently it does increase itself to 1.212V i dunno why.. standart volt is lower than 1 V. Every bit of volt counts, that micro nuclear reactor can heat like never seen before.

So.. it performs awesome, it can stay stable at temps other processors would totaly give up, but the problem truly is that the CPU can not dissipate heat. Because the cooler is much lower on heat than what i had on a 990X CPU, and the 990X CPU stayed 25 C colder under comparable conditions... i just cant believe that.

So, i can even turn up fan speed, it helps nothing, because the CPU simply doesnt dissipate. Thats now a proven fact, tested in a "usual" system not inside rocket-cooling towers.

I was almost unable to believe it, but its the hottest CPU of all time, as far as i can say, no good deal for systems with lesser cooling capacity sadly.

Last edited:
sorry im not buying it, a 200mhz increase = 20c increase in temp. that is, unless your using the stock cooler to oc the cpu with. which no oc'er would do and in which case if you used the stock cooler. then yes that explains alot, another thing i would question besides the cooler used. is how well is the cooler making contact to the IHS on the cpu...

only time i see temps even get high on my i7 rig is when i turn off the fans, but here im using a aftermarket cooler on a oc'd system.

there are just to many ?'s right now, your leaving out details people need to make the call on this. while i understand you put all this work into, it comes down to the details to see if what your saying holds water.

What we actually know about the new I7's and I5's.

The integrated heat spreader sucks because of TIM instead of the old school sodder option.

An Ivy Bridge I5 at 4 Ghz is like a Sandy Bridge I5 at ~4.2 or 4.3.

Replacing the TIM that Intel uses with something better (like Artic Silver 5) will lead to a drop in temps by about 5-10 degrees.

All Intel processors for years now have been able to throttle themselves down if they get too hot.

Now this last point is important. If we were in the old days of OCing then even throttling down may not have saved a situation because the base clock is still OCed thanks to the Multiplier X FSB / BsClk / Whatever you want to call it way of figuring out your speed. With the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge way of OCing all your doing is changing the Multiplier so if the processor HAS to slow itself down to save itself then yes it can do that and stay within "Intels" specs because it will always end at the proper speed. IE the system can change the multiplier on you inside windows vs changing a FSB inside an OS has been proven to be a bad idea most of the time.

Just saying that what you have found out here is an interesting topic but not unkown. So you hit 105 at 4 Ghz, I'm with Evilsizer what cooler are you using to get so hot at so low of a speed? Even with how hot they are supposed to get hitting 105 at 4 is way to hot for a normal OC on these guys.

Sorry IVY but I say it is just a case of (sorry I really hate to say it like this) not knowing how to finesse your CPU and voltages.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2284821_

I may get around to overclocking the video card later.

I really hate to be blunt like this but you cant always just clicky a multi, adjust core volts and expect results.

My second KB is close to dying so i have hard time to answer, for years im mad at the quality they are build with, but thats OT.

Regarding the IB, 200 Mhz and already running into big temperature issue, is just not any kind of safety, its not gonna work in smaller systems and i use a small one thats why i cant compete with the huge uber system, but i dont have to. There is no excuse for a CPU to run that hot even on stock clock. Im not talking about the minor 200 Mhz increase, thats just a proof that it is just way to close... at stock.

I dont know how people with smaller or stock systems are gonna handle it, because even those can hit 85 C, thats just to much.

All Intel have to to is to improve thermal solutions, and i definitely take it bad. Thats not how its done.

Besides, at least my GPU is more finesse than that, http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3460237;jsessionid=79u51qm4xex3oxjsjmhrnir7

Last edited:
My second KB is close to dying so i have hard time to answer, for years im mad at the quality they are build with, but thats OT.

Regarding the IB, 200 Mhz and already running into big temperature issue, is just not any kind of safety, its not gonna work in smaller systems and i use a small one thats why i cant compete with the huge uber system, but i dont have to. There is no excuse for a CPU to run that hot even on stock clock. Im not talking about the minor 200 Mhz increase, thats just a proof that it is just way to close... at stock.

I dont know how people with smaller or stock systems are gonna handle it, because even those can hit 85 C, thats just to much.

All Intel have to to is to improve thermal solutions, and i definitely take it bad. Thats not how its done.

People with stock heat sinks do not buy a K CPU. 85 @ stock voltage is not bad at all and 95 is not the worst.

so we gonna get the question answered or not?

WHAT CPU HEATSINK ARE YOU USING?????

At 4.5GHz I hit 68c - 70c on all 4 cores. That's with a Gelid Tranquillo cooler and 1.25volts. The stock cooler wasn't made for OC. If you spend the extra money for a K CPU why not a better cooler?

My second KB, told already, close to dying (shutting on and off all the time, making it a annoyance to write with). So i pass in answering stuff until my KB problem solved. What i dont get is why i have 1.212 V at 4 Ghz, creating far to much heat but cant disable it. Prehaps it doesnt need so much.

Although, its not "Prime stable" because of overheat (after approximately 5 min) its still "game stable" because a game doesnt constant stress at 100% (usualy the GPU is stressed much more). Means, the CPU can cool down a lot (so for gamer PC it still works)... still to much heat, no excuse.

Looks like my KB decided to work for a little more min: I currently use a SFF. Although plan to use a Lian Li Mini Q for some future build in term Intel CPUs start to be a nuclear reactor which is hard to tackle for most SFF, even at stock clock.

I dont use "towers" with special coolers: in term i use them i run the stuff at 5 Ghz while washing my feets and polishing my nails. However, thats not the point. The point simply is that the CPU could run at much cooler temps and that Intel truly cheated the consumers by using a inferior thermal solution. I already told. I got a SFF in which i was able to run a fully fledged 990X CPU at 3780 Mhz (x38 + 5% FSB OC) and it didnt reach a temperature higher than 80 C at prime 95 and Intel Burn Test, so it was stable under any given conditions. While the IB, with 2 lesser cores, simply cant take the punch under extreme conditions unless the cooler is totaly awesome. However, those K CPUs are "upper mainstream" CPUs and not truly "high end". A 6 core is highend... or 8-16 core. So those K CPUs have to work inside any kind of systems, not tower only, even at 5% OC it still shouldnt overheat else we are initialy to close to a critical value.

Just my blunt opinion.. IB could run much colder and serve any kind of systems easely with up to 4 Ghz clock. Because it could handle that clock very easy, as long as it doesnt overheat. Why it does overheat... we already talked about way to many times. There is indeed a flaw in its thermal design, which isnt the most effective.

Certainly, the big tower enthusiasts are having lot of joy using IB because finally they got something others cant use in a secure way, unless at very low clocks. However, as soon as a proper 6 core CPU with good thermal design is out... they would be totaly beaten by systems who in fact have a weaker cooling solution. So, science simply is, the issue we created is "human created" its not a technical limit, so thats my clear statement on that.

So for Overclockers, IB can have a "approved" rating, such as any other Intel CPU (it seems). However, for users of weaker coolers IB wont get a approved rating, it failed. In fact, a SB will need more power, but it does stay cool under any situations on "weaker" systems, so that CPU is the much better deal for them unless they need a IGP. However, i kinda got the feeling that Intel is doing the whole matter on purpose, saving up money and boosting theyr old SB CPUs. Guess no need to say more, but as long as theyr CPUs are hyped, it doesnt matter.

Last edited:

My second KB, told already, close to dying (shutting on and off all the time, making it a annoyance to write with). So i pass in answering stuff until my KB problem solved. What i dont get is why i have 1.212 V at 4 Ghz, creating far to much heat but cant disable it. Prehaps it doesnt need so much.

Although, its not "Prime stable" because of overheat (after approximately 5 min) its still "game stable" because a game doesnt constant stress at 100% (usualy the GPU is stressed much more). Means, the CPU can cool down a lot (so for gamer PC it still works)... still to much heat, no excuse.

What HSF?

Seriously dude, you type out a massive paragraph about how your keyboard is dying and such, you could simply say.

Stock HS
or
Hyper 212
or
Silver Arrow

How hard is that? We are trying the help you here / talk about the topic. :p

Its updated already, thank you for your interests. Because the stuff is a package its not as easy as that, but the cooling is about equal to stock cooling (on big towers).

It have to be said, a OCed 7850 inside the same system, is running at 60 C at 100% load.. and that GPU is having bigger GFLOP rating, far bigger. So i dunno what to say regarding processors and theyr ability to stay cool, but it apparently works. I certainly cant praise such a processor who does heat up far higher than another one with several the GFLOP value.

So what you are saying is you have no clue what you are doing and simply want to trash your CPU and Intel. You have no clue what cooler you are running and I guess you only know the 7850.

Come back when you find out if your CPU is actually a IB I am thinking you have a BD with all that heat!

Oye... this thread/testing is a mess. It shows worst case scenario in a sff case with an overclocked gpu with no idea what heatsink is on the thing. And you are comparing gflops of gpu and cpu for the desert. Wow.

Also, the voltage should not change .2v for 200mhz overclock. It shouldn't go up at all.

This thread is confusing.

We know IB runs hotter than SB and starts to get a bit hairy overclocking past 4.5Ghz... having said that it would be nice if i could get that far, i think 4.3Ghz is the limit for me on a decent air cooler...

Regardless, SB is the better chip for high clocks on a reasonably priced cooler.

Ivy, your first post reads like my x6 is better for overclocking, that was assuming you had a decent cooler on it, i find that hard to believe, this coming from someone leaning more toward AMD than Intel.

Where it got really confusing is where started comparing the Gflops scaling to your AMD GPU, that's not even relevant, its just what? eh?

Anyway, a simple question. What is the cooler that's sitting on that CPU?

Are you using intels CPU cooler or what?

Sounds like your cooler is not correctly installed 105c should not happen.

how much farther down the rabbit hole do we go before we get details.

had this been a science experiment for class and you didnt provide details that are needed. to ensure the results can be reproduced, you would fail that class.

you want people to take you seriously, POST DETAILS AND BE EXACT.

Guys, calm down. He's using a pre-made SFF system, I don't think he knows what type of cooler is in there. It's a Shuttle SZ77R5, I think Newegg.ca carries it if you want to see pictures and specs.

That being said, after looking around, it seems like Shuttle uses the same heatsink in most of their high-end speced systems. Go to the product page (for a similar system) here, go to the gallery, and click on the picture of the heatsink. And then laugh.

Back