Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: 6970 vs 7850

  1. #1

    Exclamation 6970 vs 7850

    6970 whoops the 7850's stock as no doubt

    but the 7850 is cheaper, more efficient, runs cooler, needs less power, and overclocks better and beats the 6970

    what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Actually the 6970 is not that much better http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/509?vs=549

    And yes, the 7850 is cooler, more efficient and overclocks higher.
    “The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” -Winston Churchill

  3. Thanks!

    felixthemaster (05-19-12)

  4. #3
    7850 defiantly. All things considered thats just a better card, and after OCing like you said it can beat a stock 6970 all for less heat and less power.

    Efficiency saves polar bears. We need polar bears, who else will devour the baby seal army of the north?
    Clevo 901C Laptop / Intel Core 2 Extreme at 2.93Ghz / 4 Gigs Ram / Geforce 8800GTX / 2 X 250 Gig HD's in Raid 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rocketfish Full Aluminum Tower / I7 870 at 4Ghz / 8 Gigs DDR3 Ram / EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB / 1 TB HD / True Spirit 140

    I blame Earthdog and Muddocktor for helping me pick some truly great parts. Thanks guys, now I'm broke and happy. :)



  5. Thanks!

    felixthemaster (05-19-12)

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azuza001 View Post
    Efficiency saves polar bears. We need polar bears, who else will devour the baby seal army of the north?
    Eskimos?
    MY RIG:
    HP 8200 Elite USDT
    i5 2400S
    4GB DDR3 SODIMM
    Intel HD2000 graphics
    135W external PSU
    160GB 2.5" HDD
    Debian 7 KDE

  7. Thanks!

    felixthemaster (05-20-12), scrambler (05-20-12)

  8. #5
    Bluefalcon13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by azuza001 View Post
    Efficiency saves polar bears. We need polar bears, who else will devour the baby seal army of the north?
    When people say things like these, it reminds me of my former life in the Army...

    Good ol' Killing the Baby Seals cadence...

    http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...by-seals.shtml

    If you can spend the extra cash, why not go for the 7870... Then you are looking at smoking a 6970
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8ghz, Corsair H80 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Vanilla
    2x4gig G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1600
    eVGA GTX670 2gb
    Samsung 830 256gb SataIII (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New 750W Power Supply

    Dell Precision M4500- i5-540m, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 470 SSD, 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA SSD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Quadro FX 880m 1GB

    Heatware

  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon13 View Post
    When people say things like these, it reminds me of my former life in the Army...

    Good ol' Killing the Baby Seals cadence...

    http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...by-seals.shtml

    If you can spend the extra cash, why not go for the 7870... Then you are looking at smoking a 6970
    the 7850 is breaking my údget as it is, plus an i3 cant handle ultra bf3 with this let alone a 7870!

  10. #7
    Bluefalcon13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
    the 7850 is breaking my údget as it is, plus an i3 cant handle ultra bf3 with this let alone a 7870!
    Ahh, but the 6970 is the same price as the 7870 O.o
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8ghz, Corsair H80 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Vanilla
    2x4gig G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1600
    eVGA GTX670 2gb
    Samsung 830 256gb SataIII (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New 750W Power Supply

    Dell Precision M4500- i5-540m, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 470 SSD, 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA SSD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Quadro FX 880m 1GB

    Heatware

  11. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon13 View Post
    Ahh, but the 6970 is the same price as the 7870 O.o
    LIES I need proof! uk proof!

  12. #9
    Bluefalcon13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Heatware Profile
    Well, they are the same price on newegg.com (USA)

    Didn't think about Europe price
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8ghz, Corsair H80 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Vanilla
    2x4gig G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1600
    eVGA GTX670 2gb
    Samsung 830 256gb SataIII (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New 750W Power Supply

    Dell Precision M4500- i5-540m, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 470 SSD, 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA SSD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Quadro FX 880m 1GB

    Heatware

  13. #10
    Wait your putting it in an I3?

    I would personally go with an I5 2500k and a lower end card in that case. The plan I went with was an 6870 and a G850 now and when I get the cash move to a 2500k and another 6870 for crossfire. I get good performance now and later I'll have performance better than a 6970.

    I mean there are a ton of options that you have avalible to you. If you plan on upgrading the I3 later then the 7850 is where I would go. Then after than you can upgrade to 7850 Xfire. I just know the difference in gaming between an I3 and G850 is pretty low at the moment.
    Clevo 901C Laptop / Intel Core 2 Extreme at 2.93Ghz / 4 Gigs Ram / Geforce 8800GTX / 2 X 250 Gig HD's in Raid 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rocketfish Full Aluminum Tower / I7 870 at 4Ghz / 8 Gigs DDR3 Ram / EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB / 1 TB HD / True Spirit 140

    I blame Earthdog and Muddocktor for helping me pick some truly great parts. Thanks guys, now I'm broke and happy. :)



  14. #11
    Member jd101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    westmidlands
    here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=411 most 6970`s are around £250 here in the uk not saying you carnt pick up cheaper deals some times . i would defo go with a 7870 over a 6970.
    i7 870 @ 4000ghz + corsair h80 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 sapphire 7970 3gb cx600 new rig i7 3770k + h80 rog gene v z77 16gb vengeance 1866 ax750 128 ssd veterx 4 hd 7970 in a midgard 2 case

  15. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jd101 View Post
    here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=411 most 6970`s are around £250 here in the uk not saying you carnt pick up cheaper deals some times . i would defo go with a 7870 over a 6970.
    lol i can afford a 7870 if i dont buy a case

  16. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by azuza001 View Post
    Wait your putting it in an I3?

    I would personally go with an I5 2500k and a lower end card in that case. The plan I went with was an 6870 and a G850 now and when I get the cash move to a 2500k and another 6870 for crossfire. I get good performance now and later I'll have performance better than a 6970.

    I mean there are a ton of options that you have avalible to you. If you plan on upgrading the I3 later then the 7850 is where I would go. Then after than you can upgrade to 7850 Xfire. I just know the difference in gaming between an I3 and G850 is pretty low at the moment.
    nah mate, cant afford an i5 and also i dont mind bottlenecking.. as long as the cpu wont fry, boittlenecking wont be a problem, i will upgrade to an i5 soon anywayz.. its just the initial budget that is low

  17. #14
    Bluefalcon13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Heatware Profile
    Depends on the game, but a 7850 and a better CPU would do wonders...

    I know my 955 @ 3.8ghz is fine for my 480... it actually will push full unoverclocked gpu utilization in most games. Honestly thinking about selling the 480 and getting a 7870 myself, as it will cut down on my heat output (yay south Texas!)
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8ghz, Corsair H80 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Vanilla
    2x4gig G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1600
    eVGA GTX670 2gb
    Samsung 830 256gb SataIII (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New 750W Power Supply

    Dell Precision M4500- i5-540m, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 470 SSD, 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA SSD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Quadro FX 880m 1GB

    Heatware

  18. #15
    REMMEBER THIS IS A BUDGET BUILD

  19. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon13 View Post
    Depends on the game, but a 7850 and a better CPU would do wonders...

    I know my 955 @ 3.8ghz is fine for my 480... it actually will push full unoverclocked gpu utilization in most games. Honestly thinking about selling the 480 and getting a 7870 myself, as it will cut down on my heat output (yay south Texas!)
    never researched the nvidia cards, dont know how they are ranked

  20. #17
    Member jd101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    westmidlands
    heres you best bet them m8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=411 . the 6970 and 7870 are around the same price of £250 . this 7850 is £180 its a deal as the gtx 660 is not out yet .
    i7 870 @ 4000ghz + corsair h80 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 sapphire 7970 3gb cx600 new rig i7 3770k + h80 rog gene v z77 16gb vengeance 1866 ax750 128 ssd veterx 4 hd 7970 in a midgard 2 case

  21. #18
    Bluefalcon13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
    never researched the nvidia cards, dont know how they are ranked
    480 is roughly equal to a 570/7850

    I usually cheat and take a gander at tomshardware's monthly best gfx cards for the money. The last page is a comparison chart for where different gpus rank
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8ghz, Corsair H80 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Vanilla
    2x4gig G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1600
    eVGA GTX670 2gb
    Samsung 830 256gb SataIII (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New 750W Power Supply

    Dell Precision M4500- i5-540m, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 470 SSD, 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA SSD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Quadro FX 880m 1GB

    Heatware

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jd101 View Post
    heres you best bet them m8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=411 . the 6970 and 7870 are around the same price of £250 . this 7850 is £180 its a deal as the gtx 660 is not out yet .
    i have a link for a pretty cheap 6870 but i think i will go for the 7850 but the asus one with two fans as i might overclock

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon13 View Post
    480 is roughly equal to a 570/7850

    I usually cheat and take a gander at tomshardware's monthly best gfx cards for the money. The last page is a comparison chart for where different gpus rank
    i mean yea, google "graphics card heirachy" and you will get it but i mean

    the radeon cards:
    the thousands place is for the generation
    and hundreds is the actual rank X990 is best and X110 will be worse

    but for nvidia it has three numbers and i dont know what they mean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •