Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 7850 vs 6950

  1. #1
    Member mstersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181

    7850 vs 6950

    I believe I am reading that the 7850 beats the 6950 in 1900x1200 gaming. Is this true? I am looking to upgrade when I get home.

  2. #2
    Member xander89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    yep should be just about equal/ edge it over the 6950. Lower power draw too

    Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
    RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
    CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 5ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
    GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1228 mhz core boost, memory 6600mhz (watercooled)
    PSU:ZM850-HP
    HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
    Case:Corsair 800d
    OS:Windows 7 Professional 64bit

  3. #3
    Member mstersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181
    Cool thanks. May have to go with the 7870 then. I appreciate doing research out here is a pain! I have very limited access to the internet.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Kent, Wa
    Posts
    334
    At stock speeds the 6950 and 7850 are close to the same performance with the 7850 having the edge in some titles. But if you are not afraid of overclocking, the 7850 has way more headroom while using much less power and taking up less space in your case. An decent overclocked 7850 will exceed the performance of a stock 7870 and cost $100 less. At the price of a 7870 ($330 in US for cheapest at NewEgg), I would honestly start looking at a 7950 ($379) or GTX670 instead as they offer superior performance for not much more $$.
    System 1: i5-2500k (4.9 ghz), Thermalright Silver Arrow, Asus P8Z68-V, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Sapphire HD7950 OC (1200/1750), 1TB Samsung F3, Crucial M4 128GB & 64GB (cache to 1TB), Lepa G900-MA, X-FI Titanium, CM Storm Sniper, HP ZR30w + ZR24w
    System 2: i3-2120, Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB Gskill Sniper, Sapphire HD7850 (1175/1450), 1TB hitachi, OCZ Fatal1ty 750W, Antec 300, Samsung 245BW
    HTPC: i5-2500k, MSI Z68MA-G45, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Galaxy GTX660 (1100/6700), 240GB HyperX, 1TB Samsung F3, XFX Black 650w, Ceton InfiniTV 4, Denon AVR-1910, Silverstone GD04B
    WHS: Athlon II X3 435, MSI 785GTM-E45, 4GB OCZ Gold, 2x1.5TB Samsung F2, 2TB Samsung F4, 1TB Hitachi, CoolerMaster 341Elite, Antec Neo-Eco 520w

  5. #5
    Member xander89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhatfie View Post
    At stock speeds the 6950 and 7850 are close to the same performance with the 7850 having the edge in some titles. But if you are not afraid of overclocking, the 7850 has way more headroom while using much less power and taking up less space in your case. An decent overclocked 7850 will exceed the performance of a stock 7870 and cost $100 less. At the price of a 7870 ($330 in US for cheapest at NewEgg), I would honestly start looking at a 7950 ($379) or GTX670 instead as they offer superior performance for not much more $$.
    the 670 will trounce the 7950, it will perform mor on par with a 7970. + if you get a 670 like the gigabyte / asus/ evga ones with the 680 pcb and pre factory overclock and your adventurous with overclocking you are looking at at least 680 stock speeds when you hit 1300mhz core.

    Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
    RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
    CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 5ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
    GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1228 mhz core boost, memory 6600mhz (watercooled)
    PSU:ZM850-HP
    HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
    Case:Corsair 800d
    OS:Windows 7 Professional 64bit

  6. #6
    Member mstersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181
    Thanks looks like team green gets my money this upgrade.

  7. #7
    Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

    EarthDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuck in Maryland...
    Posts
    45,732
    Quote Originally Posted by xander89 View Post
    the 670 will trounce the 7950, it will perform mor on par with a 7970. + if you get a 670 like the gigabyte / asus/ evga ones with the 680 pcb and pre factory overclock and your adventurous with overclocking you are looking at at least 680 stock speeds when you hit 1300mhz core.
    a lit less than that do u see 680 speeds...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Kent, Wa
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by xander89 View Post
    the 670 will trounce the 7950, it will perform mor on par with a 7970. + if you get a 670 like the gigabyte / asus/ evga ones with the 680 pcb and pre factory overclock and your adventurous with overclocking you are looking at at least 680 stock speeds when you hit 1300mhz core.
    At stock speeds I agree the 670 is certainly faster and if you do not OC, it is the better card. But it is not as cut and dry if you are willing to OC. You do realize that a 7950 is only about 3% slower than a 7970 at equal clock speeds and they both tend to overclock to similar levels. The stock 7950 is painfully underclocked from AMD. For instance my 7950 does 1200/1750 all day long at 1.2v but if I wanted to add more voltage (1.25v) does 1280/1775. That is 60% core OC and 42% memory overclock over standard 7950 speeds and my overclocks are not uncommon at all. I highly doubt a overclocked 670 will "trounce" a decently oc'd 7950. It will of course be better in a couple games and be more energy efficient, but it will not "trounce" it, not even close.
    System 1: i5-2500k (4.9 ghz), Thermalright Silver Arrow, Asus P8Z68-V, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Sapphire HD7950 OC (1200/1750), 1TB Samsung F3, Crucial M4 128GB & 64GB (cache to 1TB), Lepa G900-MA, X-FI Titanium, CM Storm Sniper, HP ZR30w + ZR24w
    System 2: i3-2120, Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB Gskill Sniper, Sapphire HD7850 (1175/1450), 1TB hitachi, OCZ Fatal1ty 750W, Antec 300, Samsung 245BW
    HTPC: i5-2500k, MSI Z68MA-G45, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Galaxy GTX660 (1100/6700), 240GB HyperX, 1TB Samsung F3, XFX Black 650w, Ceton InfiniTV 4, Denon AVR-1910, Silverstone GD04B
    WHS: Athlon II X3 435, MSI 785GTM-E45, 4GB OCZ Gold, 2x1.5TB Samsung F2, 2TB Samsung F4, 1TB Hitachi, CoolerMaster 341Elite, Antec Neo-Eco 520w

  9. #9
    Senior Member Knufire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Posts
    13,219
    Not trounced, but the 670 has a clear advantage. This generation, NVIDIA has AMD beat in every category except availability.

  10. #10
    Member
    trekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,659
    well AMD has bitcoin mining which make money (i think $40-$60 a month)
    thats why if i buy a card i will always go for AMD
    current AGP cards-2 boxes (yes boxes)

    "Sarcasm does not have a TCP/IP protocol, so it didn't get routed to my computer." -thideras
    Heat

  11. #11
    Member xander89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhatfie View Post
    At stock speeds I agree the 670 is certainly faster and if you do not OC, it is the better card. But it is not as cut and dry if you are willing to OC. You do realize that a 7950 is only about 3% slower than a 7970 at equal clock speeds and they both tend to overclock to similar levels. The stock 7950 is painfully underclocked from AMD. For instance my 7950 does 1200/1750 all day long at 1.2v but if I wanted to add more voltage (1.25v) does 1280/1775. That is 60% core OC and 42% memory overclock over standard 7950 speeds and my overclocks are not uncommon at all. I highly doubt a overclocked 670 will "trounce" a decently oc'd 7950. It will of course be better in a couple games and be more energy efficient, but it will not "trounce" it, not even close.
    trust me i know the point your are trying to make. I had a decision to make between the 7970 and the 670 and i was leaning towards the 7970 for a very long time ( until the 670's dropped in price and they brought out 670s with 680 PCB's and sweet aftermarket coolers). And for the price the 670 wins outright at the moment even taking overclocking into account. You can get a gigabyte 670 with a nice aftermarket cooler ( the one i have) for exactly the same price as a 7950 equivalent.

    At stock speeds the 670 will roughly perform about 10-15% better. Which which just outperforms a 7970. Most people are posting boost overclocks of 1300+ on the 670s ( with the reference 680 pcb+aftermarket cooler).When you take an overclocked 7950 against a overclocked 670 the gap closes to about 5%. The issue is that 670's are posting Max overclocks on air aftermarket coolers, i doubt 7950's will manage the same with such low temps. If you are going water the 7970/ 7950 are a viable option. But youll have to get at least 1300mhz to beat a 670 on a decent air cooler probably more like 1350 tbh because clock for clock the 670 is faster than the 7950. The issues for the 670 is there isnt much headroom even if you go with water. Because we cant tweak the volts past 1.175. This will hopefully be change at some point soon. IF we can push the volts higher on the 670/80 it will put them beyond anything that the 7970/50 could reach.

    So on air your best bet is probably going with a 670. If you plan to watercool the 7950 because a viable option. When i say trounce i am referring to the fact that is performs better across most of titles, its exactly the same price. Runs cooler, draws less power etc. Also gimiky things like physX ( which isnt THAT importance, but its always nice to have) Adaptive VSync, FXAA etc. So at the moment there is little or no point going with the 7950 unless you mine bitcoins/ use OpenCL accelerated programs, ( even then you wont see any difference) you might want to go with an AMD.

    Now the 7970 is only a little more expensive than a 670 it also means you have the take that into account. not to mention ( from what ive heard) SLI tends to scale better, nivida also apparently has less microstutter than AMD cards.

    Overall i would call that a trounce considering it pretty much beats it in every area, and at the same price. .

    One note: it does change from game to game in relation to performance. The 670 on average performs around 10-15% better on bf3 but then on shogun 2 amd cards tend to fair better.
    Last edited by xander89; 05-28-12 at 05:28 AM.

    Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
    RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
    CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 5ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
    GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1228 mhz core boost, memory 6600mhz (watercooled)
    PSU:ZM850-HP
    HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
    Case:Corsair 800d
    OS:Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •