• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge Idea's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In a race, especially a long one, some teams will do better at the start, while others do better at the middle or at the end of the race.

What amount of decrease they may have, from one part of the race to another, is not meaningful.

What the CC does need, is a formula for working with new teams that are in the CC for the first time.

I believe it helps to think of the CC like a simple handicap foot race. You and I get a head start, and Usain Bolt has to start later.

Now, would it make any difference if you won, even though you got tired and slowed down in the last part of the race?

No, it wouldn't matter.

Would it matter if Usain Bolt won the race, and he'd slowed way down to pose for a few pictures, before he crossed the finish line?

No, it wouldn't matter.

Obviously the CC is not a foot race, but my impression is that people wouldn't want this category added to the race, because they don't believe it matters if a team's production decreases (or how much), during the race.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks! No sarcasm :)
As I said above, I needed to see whether you think such a measure makes sense or not. Clearly you don't, and I can see why not, thanks to your very fitting analogy.

An idea is an idea; it pops up, you feel like sharing it, but nobody else has to like it. What's important is being listened to, and responded to courteously. Thank you for doing exactly that! :thup:

Cheers OCF! Congrats, once again! :clap:

The idea makes sense to me gryphon. It seems less important to measure than points, growth, and conversion... But it would give good reason for teams to fight the entire time. Anyone giving up early or letting off the pedal may pay a price.

IMO, the idea makes sense, but I don't think its something to add because it seems like a less important/popular thing to measure.

Anyone giving up early or letting off the pedal may pay a price.

This was exactly the thought behind it! It was intended to add yet another dimension to the race.
Chimp Challenge is a funny competition, I mean we're talking about chimps flinging poo! :D So, the idea was to add another color to it ;)

well for a web page i have time to design it and learn how to actually build it. (been years since i did any HTML) id prolly use dreamweaver or something. it would be a fun project for me. but it certainly wouldn't be done super quick. as for hosting someone would have to do that part. but id be willing to help manage the page for sure.

also haveing a chat box on there like some forums do would be cool and work better than an irc channel more ppl would use it that way.

Rather than a chat box, we could have a shared chimp challenge forum across all sites. We currently already use a plugin that shares forums here:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=206158

If each forum installed that plugin, and each forum created a chimp challenge subforum... That plugin would sync all threads and replies across every site. I could lead installation and configuration for other sites. (vbulletin only, OCN would not sync as they use Huddler)

A thread made on OCF's chimp challenge section would sync out to all chimp challenge sections on each other site - others could reply on their own site, and those replies would also sync across all sites. All usernames are listed as User@Site, so I would be I.M.O.G.@OCF on all other sites.

The plugin works on vb3 and vb4, and we've been using it here for over 6 months. Every site may not want to adopt this, but those interested could do it very easily, and I'd be happy to help.

Moderation only takes effect on your home forum. Edits or deletes are not synced across. So a moderator would be responsible for any posts on their own chimp challenge section.

To make this easy for moderators, we'd have mutual ground rules that are agreeable to everyone - G rated language, no flame wars, spirit of the competition type of stuff. We already have leaders from each team for the chimp challenge, and they would be responsible for ensuring their team members represented them with honor.

I honestly think this is a bit far fetched - other admins may not be interested in getting onboard with it (admin approval needed to install/configure the required plugin). But if they did, I think it'd be pretty awesome.

Back