• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soft-Body physics in CryEngine3 (most realistic ever)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow that is extremely impressive.

Embed!

Even Crysis 2 with all of the post release patches(DX11, Hi-res) has some amazing visuals.

that is amazing! these are the things i expect to see from crytek some that will really change a game. and that is just awesome that they are doing that and while they are currently running it at 100 FPS i would be curious to see how much that impacts performance in a real map with AI and all the textures, particles and objects all in place.

Have they mentioned using this technology in Crysis 3?

This is what I've been waiting for in games! No more static light post, or perfect landings from jumping cliffs!

I'd love to try out that tech demo myself :bday:

Now can we get it in an actual game? With decent multiplayer? And not a $60 benchmark? :D

I liked Crysis 1 not two the held Crysis 2 down and R**** it well there wasn't prone so it must have happened while crouching.

I just like the game play style of 1. 2 was taking a big step backwards. from the looks of Crysis 3 we may be going back to something closer to Crysis 1 which would be nice I hope they add in new features and old ones like prone and stop dumbing these games down, I also hope to see the ability to put the suite controls back to the first style. Either way this is about there new physics.

I hope that with a fully built level that the game will still be playable but the things your could achieve with that would be amazing! things like ballistics for instance a bullet could have proper mass, density and do more realistic damage to objects its very exciting

Still very exciting! I really look forward to seeing what comes from it, I am really hoping this will cause more companies to compete with this and do the same thing!

Not bad. I like the general realism! :thup:

But what's with all the objects clipping into walls? That is one of my main realism problems with games. Also there are so many game glitches that arise from this sort of clipping. In games nothing is really solid at the edge just at the mesh behind the skin. Why can't things hit the actual skin?

EDIT: I should explain: watch the wall/object hits. The car slightly clips into the object many times but that part causes no damage.

This is from the developers of this system.

"This is still an early work in progress - don't mind the shading and collision issues, we're working on it."

So they will get it better but we will see by how much. and I do agree though it is distracting to see feet through walls things clipping into the world\objects it seems this would have been something companies would be more concerned with.

Still very exciting! I really look forward to seeing what comes from it, I am really hoping this will cause more companies to compete with this and do the same thing!

Something I didn't realize until I read it from a different site, this isn't Crytek's work. It's the rigs on rods guys who've ported their beam physics engine to cryengine 3. Rigs of rods and the beam physics engine is open source, although I'm not sure if they've posted the source code to the cyengine port yet. This just makes it even more of an amazing accomplishment!

@ziggo In today's age your hard pressed to find either, most games now are console ports which create bad overall games for PC with poor graphics and poor game play Id rather a game be a benchmark than a console port any day! Crysis 1 had really good game play if you could run it and I enjoyed the story as well. Crysis 2... well it was a port with poor game play and wasn't a benchmark especially at the beginning, after the patch it looked better but still a game play fail IMO.

@shelnutt: WOW that is impressive! I don't think I have heard of them, are they new to the industry?

EDIT: if any one wants here is the Official site of the creators of this system they have more videos on older game engines and downloads of what they have done I am still looking to see if they have the files needed for cryengine 3 or not.

Last edited:
I tried to give Crysis 2 a chance...I really did. Before and after the DX11 patch it ran so bad/messed up on my setup that it was unplayable. i7 @ 4.4, 8gb RAM, SSD 6970 vmodded and oc'd...the game the entire time had this awkward mouse lag, vsync or no vsync, buffering etc etc...I gave up. Oddly the MP demo before released worked great...always does though I guess.

Back