• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding RAM to a Stable Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

Right now I've got a stable OC at 4.5ghz on my 2600K.
I'm planning to add another 8gb of ram to make my system at 16gb.
Is it gonna affect my stable Overclock?:confused:. If ever, what settings do I need to change/tweak? thanks in advance, :)?

It may affect or may not. Really all depends from memory speed and if IMC can handle 4 sticks. All that can be needed is higher VCCIO or VCCSA voltage and thats all. Since memory has it's own ratio it shouldn't lower your cpu overclock or stability.

It may affect or may not. Really all depends from memory speed and if IMC can handle 4 sticks. All that can be needed is higher VCCIO or VCCSA voltage and thats all. Since memory has it's own ratio it shouldn't lower your cpu overclock or stability.

So what's the starting point voltage for VCCIO if ever I needed it? After adding ram, is it a-must to run stability test again? what kind of stability test, P95 OCCt, IBT or any will do? thanks

You should not have a problem. I would run memtest 86 to see if the memory is ok, if you have a problem increase your VTT.

You should not have a problem. I would run memtest 86 to see if the memory is ok, if you have a problem increase your VTT.

+1

VTT AKA VCCIO voltage may need a bump to handle all that extra juice but I think it's unlikely. It is less necessary then on our chips becuase your OC is mostly or 100% just CPU multi/vcore drain.

You shouldn't have to touch the SA voltage for 2 extra sticks.

Pop in your 2 extra sticks and ENJOY. DO: try to get them the same if at all possible or as close as possible to your previous ticks. GL

Are you maxing out your current RAM usage? If not, more RAM won't do anything for you. An SSD would be a better investment.

Thanks for all the reps. BTW, I'll be adding the same RAM that I already have. So it looks more clearer to me that adding more sticks [with the same ram as I have] won't do anything to my stable OC, and that's great news to me! :clap:
But is it better to Memtest it after installing the sticks?

Back