• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solutions 4.5ghz 2500k/SILENT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdl420

Registered
Thanks all for taking the time to read.

As stated in in the title my goal is to hit 4.5 on a 2500k while maintaining silence. All the parts are in-route, so no real world numbers can be obtained as of yet. Assuming I get a decent chip 4.5 is my goal, non self-contained water cooling is not an option.

*Specs*

Case- Corsair 550D
CPU - Core i5-2500K
MB- ASRock Z77 Extreme6
PSU- 650TX
RAM- G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)//1600
Vid- SAPPHIRE 100352OCSR Radeon HD 7950

Currently I have ordered no extra fans, or a cooler.

The 550D comes with three 120mm 800rpm fans. Two front intake, 1 rear exhaust. I would like to leave all of the cover panels on.

I am entertaining the idea of picking up a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm- 1,850rpm mounted in the bottom position as intake and combine that with a H80 P/P using 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm - 1,150's, as exhaust. The two 800's in the front slots stay as-is. I'm worried that the fact I'm using the H80 as the only exhaust is going to cause issues with CPU temp, or I will have way to much pos pressure.

Suggestions?

Thanks

I'd say just grab a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo, and if you find it too loud for your liking, switch out the fan for a GentleTyphoon or a Noctua.

Btw, if you haven't bought that system yet, Fractal Design is known for making extremely quiet cases. :)

I'd say just grab a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo, and if you find it too loud for your liking, switch out the fan for a GentleTyphoon or a Noctua.

Btw, if you haven't bought that system yet, Fractal Design is known for making extremely quiet cases. :)

I have, I researched cases for god, who knows how long. The 550D was my favorite out of many I checked out. I looked at all the fractal cases, but there was always 1 part of the design I didn't care for in each one. I'll check out the Hyper series.

Thanks

Just grabbed a 212+, 26 bucks. Cant beat that, if it doesn't work I'll explore more options.

$26? That's pretty expensive for that cooler, it's usually $20 with a $10 MIR. xD

Uh..never mind. Looks like all the retailers jacked up the price to $30. -_-.

Just a few days ago it was $20 with a $10Mir rebate on Newegg, Microcenter was also running a sale that came out to like $0.99 after the MIR too...now it's $30 everywhere.

Last edited:
$26? That's pretty expensive for that cooler, it's usually $20 with a $10 MIR. xD

o.o Where????

Uh..never mind. Looks like all the retailers jacked up the price to $30. -_-.

Just a few days ago it was $20 with a $10Mir rebate on Newegg, Microcenter was also running a sale that came out to like $0.99 after the MIR too...now it's $30 everywhere.

Mkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaayyyy. Yea. You know, Microcenter needs to expand..

Last edited:
On my 2500k i use the Corsair H60 Liquid cooler, it's a really good cooler for the 2500k to OC, i oc'd to 4.5Ghz mine, but the only one thing i really didn't like about the H60 is, when i render a video with Sony Vegas the Cooler is gonna be loud and the CPU's temp goes around 60C. If you got extra money you should get the Corsair H100, which has bigger radiator, and two fans, i guess that woul'd handle the render and do not make any loud noise.

If the 212+ don't cut it to your satisfaction, you can try out a Thermalright HR-02 Macho instead. Not nearly as cheap as the 212 series, but a better cooler. The one linked comes with a quiet 160 x 140 mm PWM fan, but that cooler can also be run passively as long as you have an exhaust case fan behind the cpu area. It is big though ;)

60c is nothing for Intel. Turn the fan down and let the core temps run higher.

To the OP.
A all-in-one should work fine, really.
The HR-2 or a Phanteks tower thing would be ideal.

You can also try something like a Phanteks Cooler. Can't guarantee it will fit in your case though as the thing is huge.

Edit: Bobnova sniped me on the Phanteks :sly:

i setup the auto fan function in the hw health section of the bios it spins like 600rpm's idle i believe and speeds up automagically the 212+ fan is pretty darn silent i cant hear it at all unless im running like p95 or something

The 212 will not be silent under load. To get silent you need a big-*** cooler with slower larger fans (usually). The Noctura D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow or Phanteks.

I have one in the works:
  • Asus Gene V
  • CM 212+ & Noctua fan (not the PWM one... Hopefully that wasn't a $11 mistake)
  • Fractal Define Mini
  • Ivy Bridge i7, exact model unknown.
  • Seasonic M12II
  • No discreet graphics as of yet

Don't use Gentle Typhoons as intake/exhaust fans... They're nice and quiet. But they're not the best for that kind of placement.

I'd replace the CM 212+ fan with a GT 1150rpm. Personally.

If it matters to you my system is near dead silent running a tiny 92mm noctua cooler (in sig). I have a fan controller stuck to my front intake 180mm and my 2 92mm noctua fans. I run my noctuas at 1200ish; and my front fan at 500 when not gaming; and 750 when gaming; keeping my GTX 580 DCUII at auto when not gaming; and 32% when gaming. Temps on my CPU whilst gaming never shoot above 63 (note its 'winter' here; if you can call Australian winter, winter lol); and GPU temps stay below 72. For almost near silence next to my face whilst gaming I'm pretty happy. Getting a 2500k to 4.5ghz in a quiet machine is a piece of cake! Honestly =).

Heh, just checked and this thread was bumped up from a month ago and the OP hasn't logged on since 6/3/12. So I am going to stick a fork in this thread, because it is done, done, done.

mudd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back