• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network connections on Win XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I really feel stupid. I am trying to load Win XP on an old Pentium III Dell computer. I have installed the OS, but it does not want to install the ethernet network card. It says it can't find a driver.

I also have a Netgear WP311 wireless card installed, but I can't seem to connect it to my wireless network.

I have been trying everything I can think of and can't get connected to the network.

All the rest of my computers are running Win7.

Any help would be apprectiated! :bang head

If it doesn't have the driver, you would need to download it and transfer it to that system. This is pretty straightforward unless I'm missing something. :confused:

If it doesn't have the driver, you would need to download it and transfer it to that system. This is pretty straightforward unless I'm missing something. :confused:

I bought the ethernet card over the internet. It came without driver software and I have not been able to find a driver.

The card has this identifier: 24761 POTHPCIXAD01 [NI J 872]. It is a generic PCI LAN Card made in China. It has a statement that says "Software Support" and it lists every OS known to man.

What is the device ID? You can see it in the device manager.

What is the device ID? You can see it in the device manager.

I have 2 LAN cards the first came with the DELL Dimension 4100. It's ID =
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_5E001388&REV_01\4&22656C78

The second card was purchase over the internet because I thought the first might be bad. It's ID =
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_5E001385&REV_01\4&22656C78

The PCI card appears to be resold through "everydaysource", which resells chinese junk. I'd say cut your losses and get a real card.

Are you using the built-in windows XP wifi app (SP3) or the one included with the linksys wifi adapter? I've had several issues with linksys software in the past.

Copy the linksys folder found in c:\Program Files to your desktop, then uninstall the linksys card from device manager and reboot. Connect the wifi card, when it asks for a driver point it to the folder on the desktop you copied. It should install just the driver (no linksys wireless management software) and we'll see if the built in windows software can get you on wifi.

The PCI card appears to be resold through "everydaysource", which resells chinese junk. I'd say cut your losses and get a real card.

Are you using the built-in windows XP wifi app (SP3) or the one included with the linksys wifi adapter? I've had several issues with linksys software in the past.

Copy the linksys folder found in c:\Program Files to your desktop, then uninstall the linksys card from device manager and reboot. Connect the wifi card, when it asks for a driver point it to the folder on the desktop you copied. It should install just the driver (no linksys wireless management software) and we'll see if the built in windows software can get you on wifi.

I'm using the built in app. But, I don't see any wifi connections. The screen is blank.

solved

After hitting another dozen roadblocks, I finally got my wireless card working and was able to connect to the internet.

Thanks for all your help! :clap:

Back