• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Right speed of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3nes

Registered
I have crosshair iv formula witch supports "4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066". I also have corsair dominator which comes with speed 1600 MHz.

I found option in bios to change ram speed. It was set to 1200+ MHz not I set it to 1500+ and I also have option to set it to 1700+

+ means more than the number before because i don't remember exact number

My question is if I set it to higher rate (1700+) it will be "overclocked" and could not work properly? And what does 1600(O.C) stands for? I know o.c means overclocked but my ram runs at 1600 (stock) so it's not overclocked. Does it make any difference?

I also open CPU-z and there is only 620.8 MHz in (DRAM Frequency). Should it be 1600 MHz?

Does rate speed make any difference? 1333 vs 2000?

You wont see any notable difference, only in benchmarking there would be a slight difference just leave it at 1600 MHz O.C. Looks like you ram is 1333 MHz but can be overclocked to more. Also cpu-z shows half of the frequency x2 so for 1333 you should see 666.5 or something like that

Last edited:
What's the current HTT (CPU Bus Frequency)? Better yet... post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

Last edited:
Just leave the DRAM frequency where it's at... DDR3-1552, which is only 24MHz lower than what the modules are rated to run at.

Just leave the DRAM frequency where it's at... DDR3-1552, which is only 24MHz lower than what the modules are rated to run at.

I don't want to bottleneck my system... just kidding thanks for answers :D

Back