• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cloning a large HDD to smaller SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kross

Registered
I have a question about cloning data from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD.

I currently have:
-- OCZ Vertex 3 - 120GB SSD - Used for Windows 7, system pertinent files
-- HDD 1TB - Used for applications, games, storage

I found a good deal on a 128GB SSD and ended up getting another one, so now I will have 3 drives in my system that I want to use in the following manner:
-- OCZ Vertex 3 120GB - OS/System
-- Samsung 830 128GB - Games
-- HDD 1TB - Storage, etc.

So I am wondering, to save hours of downloading and installation, if there is any way for me to just clone the currently used space on my 1TB HDD (approx 100GB is being used) to the new 128GB SSD?

I am thinking the following (please tell me if any of it is unrealistic):
1) Clone the used 100GB from HDD to SSD
2) Format the HDD, change drive letter (and change the new SSD's drive letter to the HDD's former drive letter)
3) Copy non-application storage files (music, pics, docs, etc) back onto the HDD

Can anyone tell me if there is a free utility I can use to do the type of clone I want? And if there are any holes in my plan outlined above? Or if there is a better way to do it?

:welcome:

Seems like that should be possible. I use Macrium Reflect free edition for this kind of stuff, and it's great.

You may get some complaining from the cloner that the SSD is too small. If you do, try shrinking the partition on the HDD down to less than 128GB, then try to clone.

:welcome:

Seems like that should be possible. I use Macrium Reflect free edition for this kind of stuff, and it's great.

You may get some complaining from the cloner that the SSD is too small. If you do, try shrinking the partition on the HDD down to less than 128GB, then try to clone.

Thanks Johan851! I'll give the Macrium Reflect app a go.

Back